Any place to sell digitally MorphOS game?
  • Just looking around
    Since I am closing the point when I am going to release a commerical game for Modern Amigas, including MorphOS, (there should be a News item coming soon in here, but, meanwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEIa6BEAcI) question arises of is there any place to sell MorphOS games digitally, like AOS4 has Amistore, but does MorphOS have any Digitally selling shop, or should I add it as a DLC to Steam or something?
  • »22.08.23 - 19:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Have a look at Itch.io. There are already some paid Amiga games there.
  • »22.08.23 - 20:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello Bugala,

i could add a playable demo on MorphOS-Storage (and Easy2Install) and add a paypal button. When you receive money you send full game to the user. The user can contact you via mail before send money too.

I can add a banner for your game on Easy2Install too with a link to a website or a mail.
  • »22.08.23 - 20:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello Bugala,

i could add a playable demo on MorphOS-Storage (and Easy2Install) and add a paypal button. When you receive money you send full game to the user. The user can contact you via mail before send money too.

I can add a banner for your game on Easy2Install too with a link to a website or a mail.

Thanks. Basically I am looking at a place where things work automatically, but if this is the place where MorphOS users usually take their stuff, then I could do it that way, just to make it easy for MorphOS users.
  • »23.08.23 - 06:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Have a look at Itch.io. There are already some paid Amiga games there.

Itch.io is basically my backup plan. However, I would rather use some more Amiga/MorphOS specific place, since part of my idea is that I would like Amiga sellers to get their share from the sales as well to support their business, since it's not like there is much money lying around for them anymore, so getting their share from sales would be a nice little addition for their survival.
  • »23.08.23 - 07:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Great game, what will be cost for amiga platforms?
  • »23.08.23 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Oh, this game really looks promising!

Don't know if there is a MorphOS specific place to sell commercial software,

But I guess since a big part of MorphOS/AROS/OS4 users also got m68k-Amigas many of them know about itch.io hosting Classic Amiga games or already used it to buy Classic Amiga games.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »23.08.23 - 13:19
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    Great game, what will be cost for amiga platforms?

I haven't decided yet.

Basically, I would like to keep it the same, or at least close to the same as the PC version, like one possibility would be to ask a bit more from Amiga versions, but include the PC version in the deal to justify the higher price.

But my main worry about the pricing is how it affects other Amiga game makers. For quite many have lately been selling their games for 20+ euros prices as far as I have noticed, which has probably been a necessity to make any sense for them to make those games.

Therefore I am wondering if I release my game cheaper than others, then will it affect their sales and possibilities to make games in the future?
    For basically even the highest price that I have been thinking for the PC-version has been 14.99, and right now I feel unlikely to pick that one as the pricing, but more likely one of the cheaper prices that I have been thinking.

I have been pondering on PC sides pricing a bit because there are these two sides to a coin. lower price, when successful, will sell the game more, but it might also backfire by making the game seem cheap in quality too, while a higher price might make people trust the game as being good better, but it might also make it too expensive to buy.
  • »23.08.23 - 16:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Bugala - You could approach APC&TCP - Amiga game supporters & software home, which is connected to Amiga Future website & magazine they offer game authors of Amiga games their expertise to allow the author to offer boxed games, manuals, and other benefits and a means to publicise and release an author's game(s) to a wider audience, while keeping any profits that an author makes as fair as possible - it's just another option. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.08.23 - 08:56
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ Bugala - You could approach APC&TCP - Amiga game supporters & software home, which is connected to Amiga Future website & magazine they offer game authors of Amiga games their expertise to allow the author to offer boxed games, manuals, and other benefits and a means to publicise and release an author's game(s) to a wider audience, while keeping any profits that an author makes as fair as possible - it's just another option. 8-D

Thanks for mentioning this. I actually was aware of this possiblity, just yesterday was looking their released games for other reason, but somehow my brains didnt connect the wires to realize that it is an option for me too, until you mentioned about this. So going to give this option some thought too. What I like about this option is that then all Amiga sellers could get their share from profits, since any local Amiga dealer could sell this.
  • »24.08.23 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Since you made this game in Hollywood MAL, you could just compile the game to a bytecode file and point them to the Hollywood MAL download page along with a list of plugins required. That way your game would be playable on as many as 7 different platforms from the same data file.

The downside of the bytecode idea is that Andreas wants the player code downloaded from his page unless there is permission given to mirror the player hosting elsewhere. Likewise, the plugins would need to downloaded from there as well, for the same reason. I suppose it wouldn't be much different from an installer script that requires internet access that could, itself, be written as a Hollywood script.
  • »26.08.23 - 02:51
    Templario
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow escribió:
    Since you made this game in Hollywood MAL, you could just compile the game to a bytecode file and point them to the Hollywood MAL download page along with a list of plugins required. That way your game would be playable on as many as 7 different platforms from the same data file.

The downside of the bytecode idea is that Andreas wants the player code downloaded from his page unless there is permission given to mirror the player hosting elsewhere. Likewise, the plugins would need to downloaded from there as well, for the same reason. I suppose it wouldn't be much different from an installer script that requires internet access that could, itself, be written as a Hollywood script.

There is other easy way, put all files as graphics, sounds, etc., inside of zip file and make the executables with the plugins necessaries embeded in each system, even the zip file cans password protection to avoid the riped, the only problem is with videos, this way doesn't work with these multimedia files.
  • »26.08.23 - 10:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @Bugala:

Easy2Install purpose many features:

- direct installation via Easy2Install
    - ready to start with a double click (demo or full version)
    - possibility for the user to test a playable demo
    - possibility to add a banner in Easy2Install
    - paypal button to buy it
    - youtube video
    - website link

For free

What else :-D

Don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested.
  • »26.08.23 - 18:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:

Interesting thought, but doesn't sound very easy for the end user.

And also like Templario said, basically you can make a zip-package with different exes inside it and separate shared files from exes, therefore achieving mostly the same, although takes more space than just the binary, but then again, this is currently already taking close to 100 Mb, so space the different exes take is not that much an issue.
  • »27.08.23 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    @Bugala:

Easy2Install purpose many features:

- direct installation via Easy2Install
    - ready to start with a double click (demo or full version)
    - possibility for the user to test a playable demo
    - possibility to add a banner in Easy2Install
    - paypal button to buy it
    - youtube video
    - website link

For free

What else :-D

Don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested.

It sounds like a good option. Depending what way I decide to release, I might contact you on this.

I have actually contacted APC&TCP as NewSense suggested. So one possibility is that there would only come a physical release, since I am not sure it is a good idea to have both physical and download versions at the same time. The main point being that physical is expensive to do, and if download versions eat some sales, then it might not be good for APC&TCP.

But all options are still open, and I didnt ask what APC&TCO think about download and physical existing at same time, for one hand I can also see that not all might be interested in paying for physical version, but might be interested in (cheaper) download version only.
  • »27.08.23 - 08:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    @Bugala

In any case, I can absolutely recommend Alinea Computer, https://www.alinea-computer.de/index_en.php, and its online shop: https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Alinea-Computer:.:11.html

Just have a look at their games: https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-Software/Amiga-Games:::29_53.html
    Maybe yours would fit there?
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »27.08.23 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Primax wrote:
    @Bugala

In any case, I can absolutely recommend Alinea Computer, https://www.alinea-computer.de/index_en.php, and its online shop: https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Alinea-Computer:.:11.html

Just have a look at their games: https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-Software/Amiga-Games:::29_53.html

I suppose if it comes out in physical form, it will get there too, but I notice Alinea Computer is also selling digital versions of games, although, based upon delivery time marked as 3-4 days, I guess they don't have an automated system for it where you pay and instantly get access to the game.

Anyway, thanks for showing this, didn't realize how many commercial game releases there are for amiga still, although by quick look all the latest ones seemed to be for classics with classic specs.
  • »28.08.23 - 14:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    Quote:

Bugala schrieb:
    Quote:

Primax wrote:
    @Bugala

I suppose if it comes out in physical form, it will get there too, but I notice Alinea Computer is also selling digital versions of games, although, based upon delivery time marked as 3-4 days, I guess they don't have an automated system for it where you pay and instantly get access to the game.

Anyway, thanks for showing this, didn't realize how many commercial game releases there are for amiga still, although by quick look all the latest ones seemed to be for classics with classic specs.

I asked the owner and Alinea also offers digital downloads, as you have already observed. Here an example:

https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-Software/Amiga-Games/Bubbelsche-deluxe-download-version::801.html

Shipping time of 3 - 4 days is written but of course the download is much sooner possible. It can be also set to an automatic start.
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »29.08.23 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Primax wrote:

Shipping time of 3 - 4 days is written but of course the download is much sooner possible. It can be also set to an automatic start.

Thanks, this was important info to know.

For others reading this, we been discussing with Primax through Discord this topic a bit more. He has been very helpful. Thanks a lot Primax!
  • »01.09.23 - 08:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wonder if The Secret of Middle City is recent anymore, i guess
    > it is actually surprisingly long ago that it was released already.

Indeed, it's been 8 years ago already. But as far as I know, that digital download release was OS4-only (beside the Windows/Mac releases, that is). The MorphOS (and AROS) version was only released with the boxed version of the game a whopping 4 years later. So one could say that at least the MorphOS and AROS versions are somewhat recent ;-)
  • »01.09.23 - 08:46