New version of MorphOS Pagestream!
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @NewSense

Quote:

It seems to be more likely that the MUI Preferences option"Enhanced Display" is a cause for MorphOS"freezing" rather than my initial suspicion of the "Embedded Menu Bar" option.

Trying to blame MorphOS features for bugs in PGS is quite misguided.
  • »01.12.22 - 17:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - I am not trying to blame MorphOS, I am just highlighting that when using PageStream v5.1.2 by not having that option 'Enhanced Display' active (which I know you have a vested interest in as it's one of your "creations / implementations") causes the system freeze to be triggered - it's as simple as that. 8-)

I passed the details to Frank Mariak and Deron Kazmaier, quite a while ago, soon after its release, sometime around mid September, so it has been known for about 10 weeks already. However, I am still waiting for an update from them as to any solution to fix this issue, but the MUI option is what allows me to avoid/trigger the issue/freeze that is affecting this happening with PageStream. :-)

I should also add that Frank seemed to confirm that this was seeming to be an issue within MUI back then, in a reply message to me, but insufficient work had been done back then to identify the exact issue. ;-)

I also thought this information was overdue to be passed to everyone else who had paid for PageStream v5.1.2 for MorphOS so they knew of such pitfalls, and how to avoid them happening, or that they are known issues. ;-)

If anyone else has come across any other anomalies then by all means post them here as we all need to know if there are issues to be avoided. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »01.12.22 - 23:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I’m still shocked and pleased that a new version of PageStream 5.x is available for MorphOS and Windows. Nice to see further development being done.

[ Edited by discreetfx 04.12.2022 - 07:06 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »04.12.22 - 14:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I haven't seen freezes with enhanced display on yet...

I have used it a handful of time, not daily. Worked perfect for me so far...
  • »04.12.22 - 17:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Same here! Be carefull to remove old assigns from PGS_4.x!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »04.12.22 - 18:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote: Be careful to remove old assigns from PGS_4.x!

So what issues have you encountered with older PageStream v4.x assigns still active? :-?

As I still have PageStream v4.1.5.6 Pro still active on my MorphOS A1145 system, and it does not seem to conflict with PageStream v5.1.2 Pro - AFAIK? ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »05.12.22 - 03:11
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Trying to blame MorphOS features for bugs in PGS is quite misguided.

Well, Enhanced Display surely needs to change inner workings of gfx with regard to things like sem locking. So when activated, is really everything legal, that always used to be legal (but maybe uncommon) without such feature available or activated?

For example if an app would do (for whatever reason):

Code:

LockLayer(rp->layer);
    RectFill(rp, ...);
    UnLockLayer(rp->layer);

then this would cause deadlock problems if (no idea, maybe it doesn't) with "Enhanced Display" activated the RectFill() functions internally would also need to lock the LayerInfo (maybe to update the region which requires re-compositing of screen).

[ Edited by Georg 05.12.2022 - 06:47 ]
  • »05.12.22 - 07:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @Newsense:
    Had a lot of scripts (partly origin written) in PGS4. I have a direct assign to this script-dir. PGS5 is searching for scritps in local dir and assigned dir. When I configured PGS5 for my needs, I did'nt realise, that I was choosing party scripts from PGS4 - and I run into some troubles...... (but astonishingly most of them works...).

Edit: On your hint now, I've checked installer-routine on PGS4: Normaly it does no direct assign to scripts (only Pagestream: and Softlogic: ). Possibly it is a relic of an older installation on my machine. As I can see now, PGS4 also works without this assign (never too old to learn something new ).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »05.12.22 - 09:03
    Templario
    I have a little question, will be possible that program has a modern GUI instead of Amiga68k from the 80-90 years?
  • »05.12.22 - 11:32
    polluks
    Quote:

Templario schrieb:
    I have a little question, will be possible that program has a modern GUI instead of Amiga68k from the 80-90 years?

How do you define modern? Ribbon menu crap?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »05.12.22 - 12:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    @polluks

Hey, M$ loves their ribbon crap! I’m not saying that I like it or anything like that.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »05.12.22 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Quote:

polluks escribió:
    Quote:

Templario schrieb:

How do you define modern? Ribbon menu crap?

With Mason Icons?
  • »06.12.22 - 09:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I already mentioned this 'Toolbar and Toolbox icon' issue to Frank Mariak, and Deron Kazmaier - I seem to remember that being before v5.1.2 was released. I believe Christoph Poelzl has put some effort into some refurbishment of the icons but I have not seen the 'fruits' of his efforts so far. :-D

Deron stated that he is not a graphic designer, and there are methods to re-work the icons for the interface if someone wants to get involved with skills that can benefit us all. 8-D

If anyone does want to do some work on the icons, then just get in contact here, and I will pass your details along, that's if I am not in any case able to pass you the actual icons that can be re-worked to be improved upon straight away.

Some changes are in the pipeline for a re-worked release, for some of the known issues that have been reported, but these are under close wraps at the moment, and even I do not know what they are. 8-)
  • »09.12.22 - 09:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I sent some nice Toolbar icons to Deron back in the days when he was working on Aladdin4D for me. I can do the same for PageStream 5.1 MorphOS and Windows version if he wants. As long as he gives DiscreetFX credit for getting them created there won’t be any charge. Graphics and video is our speciality at DiscreetFX.

[ Edited by discreetfx 09.12.2022 - 16:41 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »09.12.22 - 23:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ discreetfx - Bill, that's a really nice offer . . . you're at it again, and it isn't even Christmas yet !! 8-D

If you prefer, as you have previously offered this service to Deron you probably have direct contact details for him, or you can use the well known site forums via Forums @ PageStream.net or directly via the program website's contact email: support@pagestream.org.

Or if you would prefer me to contact him then I will, but the offer might be better coming directly from you, IMHO.

However, if you just want the Toolbar and Toolbox icons to be getting on with re-designing, then I can pass you the set either unarchived or archived to see what is involved. There are quite a few of them, and they are numbered rather than named, if I remember correctly, so you have to ensure you modify the one that you intend to be shown in your latest version so it matches/represents the icon intended. 8-)

I feel sure, that if agreement was reached with Deron then he would give you credit in the program's About details, and probably the documentation &/or website credits for such an improvement. I know I would :-D
  • »10.12.22 - 03:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    @NewSense

Please contact him and let him know. If I can do something to help PageStream I’m glad to do it. PageStream is a great app and personally I’ve used it since 1989. I have InDesign and other DTP programs but PS is more intuitive for me. I’m so happy that a working version finally came out for MorphOS. I had almost given up hope.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »11.12.22 - 06:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ discreetfx - Hi Bill, OK I've sent Deron a PageSstream forum email and also opened a thread in the PageStream forum as follows:OFFER of NEW COLOUR PageStream Icons - Toolbar & Toolbox - FREE design offer from Bill Panagouleas (DiscreetFX), so hopefully he will either reply in the forum, send me a message back, or reply here - or maybe all three. 8-D
  • »11.12.22 - 10:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I’ve requested Deron send me a quote for several MorphOS PageStream Pro 5.1 licenses so I can start giving them away.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »14.12.22 - 04:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ discreetfx - Hey Bill, I had spotted that new thread on the PageStream Forum - The discreet(fx) Give-away. Hope you hear back soon from Deron. 8-)

I've not heard back as yet about the icon regeneration you offered to do. Of course I will let you know as soon as I hear anything back from Deron, both privately and here in the forum. :-D
  • »14.12.22 - 05:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Papiosaur - is that the icon set for the Toolbar that rms - Christoph Poelzl has reputedly been working on, and gave the demonstration of @ MicroAlchimie? :-? 8-D

I haven't seen it as yet, though I would like Christoph to display it so we PageStream users can see the result of his efforts, and so Bill (discreetfx) can know if he needs to spend time either improving or totally re-working the Toolbar and Toolbox as he has so kindly offered to do already. 8-D
  • »14.12.22 - 07:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Quote:

NewSense a écrit :
    @ Papiosaur - is that the icon set for the Toolbar that rms - Christoph Poelzl has reputedly been working on, and gave the demonstration of @ MicroAlchimie? :-? 8-D

I haven't seen it as yet, though I would like Christoph to display it so we PageStream users can see the result of his efforts, and so Bill (discreetfx) can know if he needs to spend time either improving or totally re-working the Toolbar and Toolbox as he has so kindly offered to do already. 8-D

Yes, that's it :-)

Maybe you and discretfx could contact rms about his work on PageStream and you could help to do others skins ?

Perso, i have contacted Deron about french translation of PageStream but no answer for the moment...
  • »14.12.22 - 10:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Papiosaur Yannick - I contacted rms - Christoph Poelzl via his email a week or so ago, and I have still not heard back from him about the issue I mentioned to him, which is an issue with PageStream that he may have also come across, which I also mentioned to Deron and Frank Mariak at the same time, but I believe the issue is still being investigated - which is one of those issues I mentioned in Comment #25 of this thread. 8-)

So, if he was to reply to me soon then I would also ask him about the Toolbar and Toolbox icon set he has obviously got somewhere with. :-)

@ Yannick - would you say the icon set of PageStream that you saw at MicroAlchimie for the Toolbar and Toolbox looked a lot more professional than the current icon set (more like Adobe InDesign's icons) for the purposes of upgrading PageStream v5.1.2, as the original v5.1.2 icon set is only slightly better than B&W (monochrome) and only just slightly improved from v4? :-?
  • »14.12.22 - 11:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote: What i saw was very professional quality and colored ;-)

OK, that's good to hear, but it would be even better to be able to get to see the Toolbar and Toolbox, sooner rather than later. That's because there would not be any point Bill (discreetfx) going ahead and re-designing them if it's unnecessary. 8-D
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote: Maybe they need to improve MorphOS mouse pointer before release a new version of PageStream...

Well there are currently 13 pointers to choose from in Preferences> Mouse> Pointers and I am happy with the one I have that works on Ambient and is the same for use in all my programs within MorphOS, and of course gets utilised in PageStream. So, I cannot imagine there is not one you could choose that would work OK for you, and that looks professionally designed. ;-)

Or am I missing some other valid point(er) you are trying to make? :-?
  • »15.12.22 - 05:45