Digita Organiser 2 - colour screenmode on MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi..

Still using Digita Organiser here. It's a very accomplished program, I find. Only snag is it's limited to magic workbench-style colours on my Ambient. This is annoying, as it means that high priority tasks don't get coloured differently, stuff like that.

From reading the docs, screenmodes as set with Tooltypes. with a PUBSCREEN=Workbench setting. I've tried various other things apart from "Workbench", but have never managed to get it to open.

Has anyone got this to do something different, to get a nice coloured display under MorphOS?

Many thanks
  • »03.10.20 - 19:32
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    The PUBSCREEN tooltype only tells the program what public screen to open on, it probably won't open one itself.

I fear that the program's palette uses hardcoded pens - usually 0 to 15. On MorphOS, the lower pens are fixed as MWB colours so that MWB icons don't look like crap. That's why you're getting MWB colours.

I don't know if there's a way to turn this behaviour off.
  • »03.10.20 - 22:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Don't forget Poly Organiser v1.6 from MorphOS Storage it doesn't offer the supplements feature that Digita Organiser 2 did AFAIK, but most other features are similar.

However, it works as a MUI program does so the colours are as you used to get with Digita Organiser, so it's a good substitute/replacement with only that one drawback AFAIK. There are extra gadget buttons for it on MorphOS Storage as well. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »04.10.20 - 00:21
    polluks
    Quote:

Ginger1 schrieb:
    Has anyone got this to do something different, to get a nice coloured display under MorphOS?

Did you also define your screen in the prefs of System... Screens?
    FYI
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »04.10.20 - 03:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    You can set palette colors in the SkinConfig - it's a file in the skin directory. I don't know if it will help in this case though.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »04.10.20 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Don't forget Poly Organiser v1.6 from MorphOS Storage it doesn't offer the supplements feature that Digita Organiser 2 did AFAIK, but most other features are similar.

However, it works as a MUI program does so the colours are as you used to get with Digita Organiser, so it's a good substitute/replacement with only that one drawback AFAIK. There are extra gadget buttons for it on MorphOS Storage as well. 8-)

I've used this in the past and really liked its alarm feature. Made it very hard for me to forget birthdays etc! Entering appointment times was a bit tricky though I found - having to use a scroll gadget to set the time. It was fine with a scroll mouse, but otherwise could take ages before giving up and settling for an approximate time. One of the nice things about Digita Organiser is its "intelligent" time / date entry boxes (e.g. being able to type 'tomorrow', '25/12' and it being able to work out the most sensible date).

But a good shout. Might give this another chance. Everyday Organiser on Aminet works very well too...
  • »04.10.20 - 14:34
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    FYI

I didn't, but I gave it a go - creating another 256 colour screen mode alongside the Ambient one - then changing the screenmode Tooltype to its name. But that didn't work unfortunately ("The Organiser screen couldn't be opened in the selected screen mode".
  • »04.10.20 - 14:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    The PUBSCREEN tooltype only tells the program what public screen to open on, it probably won't open one itself.

I fear that the program's palette uses hardcoded pens - usually 0 to 15. On MorphOS, the lower pens are fixed as MWB colours so that MWB icons don't look like crap. That's why you're getting MWB colours.

I don't know if there's a way to turn this behaviour off.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Looks like something I will have to live with. Or try another program, as others have suggested.
  • »04.10.20 - 14:47
    KennyR
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    FYI

I didn't, but I gave it a go - creating another 256 colour screen mode alongside the Ambient one - then changing the screenmode Tooltype to its name. But that didn't work unfortunately ("The Organiser screen couldn't be opened in the selected screen mode".

Possibly due to MorphOS using CLUT rather than bitplanes for its 8-bit screenmodes. Possibly. Dunno.

The earlier example with the icons not being coloured on a 32-bit screen is because the program doesn't know what 32-bit screens are, and defaults to 4 colours.

See, the original plan to avoid all these problems with truecolour screens, pen allocation and having to open public screens was by using the datatypes system. Picture.datatype would remap, and if necessary dither, any internal image.

Problem one was that software even in the late 90s often strove to be compatible with OS2.x, or run straight off floppy (which wasn't allowed to supply the datatype clases and libraries). Problem two was this was as slow as treacle.

So unfortunately, while MorphOS compatibility with older software is incredible, it has limits. But then again, so did AmigaOS as soon as you slotted a graphics card in there. The original 3.1 datatypes system didn't support 16/24/32 bit screens either.
  • »04.10.20 - 21:26
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

So unfortunately, while MorphOS compatibility with older software is incredible, it has limits. But then again, so did AmigaOS as soon as you slotted a graphics card in there. The original 3.1 datatypes system didn't support 16/24/32 bit screens either.

Agreed. I was playing with On the Ball last night on MorphOS. Some of the buttons were rendered incorrectly, and I wasn't too sure what I was doing. The program behaviour seemed a bit weird too, so I attributed this to MorphOS and gave it a try under UAE. The buttons were fine then, but apart from that it was just the same as under MorphOS. I was really impressed.
  • »05.10.20 - 06:31