Good idea, it is good other appstore.
  • »21.05.16 - 18:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    I would like just to propose a new webserver for MorphOS users :

Some advantages :

- only MorphOS (Aminet not)
    - direct link to developers website (Aminet and MorphOS Software not)
    - files on WArMUp servers (MorphOS Software not)
    - screenshot, readme files (MorphOS-Files not)
    - very very easy to admin (uploaded the same day)

To do :

- graphical interface
    - search mode
    - improve last entries (with directory and link)

Don't hesite to help us to improve it (logo, new soft, translation files, snapshot, script, icons, etc...) ;-)

Thanks a lot to BeWorld, the webmaster of WArMUp !

[ Edité par Papiosaur 22.05.2016 - 02:27 ]
  • »21.05.16 - 22:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    If you want a nice logo you should find a better name first. WarmUp MorphOS Storage is too long. We need something as simple and catchy as "Aminet".
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.05.16 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    MorphOS-Apps

MorphOS-(Software-)Center

MorphOS-Repository

Nothing with MOS, some people might react allergic ;)

[ Edited by Kronos 22.05.2016 - 17:57 ]
  • »22.05.16 - 13:56
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    I would like just to propose a new webserver for MorphOS users :

Some advantages :

- only MorphOS (Aminet not)

mos.aminet.net ...

Quote:

Have you considered contacting the current maintainer to ask if MorphOS Files could be extended rather than deliberately making someone else's work obsolete?
  • »22.05.16 - 14:26
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yeah, usage of MOS hasn't been encouraged by developers, mildly said. So, I'd keep it as MorphOS something. And MOSNet already was name of the TCP/IP stack.

I'd avoid app word too, because it'll contain more than just applications. And it's quite a buzzword too. But I'd also keep it descriptive, not like Happy or something like that.

MorphOS Center came in my mind too, but center might be too wide description when it's only for files... but maybe like MorphOS Share or MorphOS Repository would be good... hmm..

Although I'm usually pro-Aminet and I think everything we made should be uploaded to Aminet, but I can see the need for something which has screenshots etc extra goods too... and another option might be useful when MorphOS Files isn't updated actively... unless we get more functions to Aminet which would be the best.

[ Edited by jPV 22.05.2016 - 19:34 ]
  • »22.05.16 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Quote:

Have you considered contacting the current maintainer to ask if MorphOS Files could be extended rather than deliberately making someone else's work obsolete?

Yeah, that could be one good possibility. If these active guys would get MorphOS Files as a base and start improving it and keeping what it already has. Keeping the familiar name and address, but getting it more active would be nice.
  • »22.05.16 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @ASiegel: i don't like your expression "deliberately making someone else's work obsolete". There is no news on MorphOS-Files since 2016-01-03 and i don't think it's my fault...

I think MorphOS-Files is an enormous MorphOS software repository and the reference for MorphOS users.

Propose a new depository don't means "try to deliberately making someone else's work obsolete".

I just want to propose another one.

Each user can visit this depositories for MorphOS (maybe there are others ?):

http://morphos-files.net
    http://mos.aminet.net/
    http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/index.php
    http://storage.warmup-asso.fr/

and search what they want.
  • »22.05.16 - 20:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS Center came in my mind too, but center might be too
    > wide description when it's only for files...

And it might sound too similar to MorphOS Central.
  • »22.05.16 - 21:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    I don´t like the fact of having yet another file base, too. Aminet with his mos.aminet.net links or other filters works fine and has multiple servers as backup.

It will just make things more complicated for developers and users. Developers must upload their stuff to another source. This failed in the past. Even i failed the simple task to use the aminet upload function, even so i already have a proper .readme file for each archive. Call be lazy on that.

Users need to search another source for stuff missing on others.

The problem with MorphOSFiles is that Krashan basically left MorphOS as user and developer (from what I know). He left the lights on at MorphOSFiles, but who knowns for how long. In such case we will loose a great amount of software not available elsewhere.

MorphOSFile is a great way and maybe it is a good idea to contact Krashan to take over his work, even if that means moving it to another server.

Another "solution" would be to set up a global search engine instead of having (just) a new repository. So it would not matter where some archive get uploaded, it could be found on one spot. Without knowing about different repositories at all.

These are just my 50 cents about the topic.
  • »22.05.16 - 22:56
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    And it might sound too similar to MorphOS Central.

Krashan's arguments should be considered, since he had some experience with this kind of work.

To tell the truth, I better love to see a collection of QUALITY software/iconsets/wallpapers for MorphOS. If somebody has a task/need/problem, than which tools are preferred/used by other users. Maybe a voting system could also used. Also could contain some m68k programs too, which works well. The tools which comes with MorphOS by default could also be mentioned there.

And a plus: This kind of webpage takes much less time to create/maintain.
  • »23.05.16 - 08:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Warmup taking over MorphOS Files and adding a voting system, plus fully working 68k files would be ideally after reading Geits post. I was wondering why there hasn't been any new uploads there for such a while.

MorphOS files as it is, adding a voting system, a submenu for 68k, native PPC, Powerup, AOS 4 with emulation etc, readme files parallell to the existing short explanation plus screen shots. This would be a great software repostitory and something Warmup should do.

I do hope Krashan returns one day though.

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.05.16 - 09:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> MorphOS Center came in my mind too, but center might be too
    >>> wide description when it's only for files...

>> And it might sound too similar to MorphOS Central.

> Krashan's arguments should be considered

I'm not aware of Krashan's arguments pro or contra the proposed "MorphOS Center" name, or whether the similarity to "MorphOS Central" would be a problem for him.
  • »23.05.16 - 11:33
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I'm not aware of Krashan's arguments pro or contra the proposed "MorphOS Center" name, or whether the similarity to "MorphOS Central" would be a problem for him.

Maybe I was misunderstandable. I wasn't talking about the naming... I was talking about the difficulties of such site.
  • »23.05.16 - 11:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was wondering why there hasn't been any new uploads there for such a while.

His abandonment of MorphOS Files seems to coincide with that posting:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11522&forum=32&start=2

The first sentence explains it, I think.
  • »23.05.16 - 11:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>>> MorphOS Center came in my mind too, but center might be too
    >>>>> wide description when it's only for files...

>>>> And it might sound too similar to MorphOS Central.

>>> Krashan's arguments should be considered

>> I'm not aware of Krashan's arguments pro or contra the proposed "MorphOS Center"
    >> name, or whether the similarity to "MorphOS Central" would be a problem for him.

> Maybe I was misunderstandable. I wasn't talking about the naming...

Then you were quoting and replying to something completely unrelated.
  • »23.05.16 - 11:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I just didn't think he would drop everything MOS related.

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.05.16 - 12:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

geit wrote:

I don´t like the fact of having yet another file base, too. Aminet with his mos.aminet.net links or other filters works fine and has multiple servers as backup.

It will just make things more complicated for developers and users. Developers must upload their stuff to another source. This failed in the past. Even i failed the simple task to use the aminet upload function, even so i already have a proper .readme file for each archive. Call be lazy on that.

Users need to search another source for stuff missing on others.

The problem with MorphOSFiles is that Krashan basically left MorphOS as user and developer (from what I know). He left the lights on at MorphOSFiles, but who knowns for how long. In such case we will loose a great amount of software not available elsewhere.

MorphOSFile is a great way and maybe it is a good idea to contact Krashan to take over his work, even if that means moving it to another server.

Another "solution" would be to set up a global search engine instead of having (just) a new repository. So it would not matter where some archive get uploaded, it could be found on one spot. Without knowing about different repositories at all.

These are just my 50 cents about the topic.

I think the OP should really consider this suggestion to take over (or move) Krashan's software from MorphOSFile site, so we don't lose anything which is not hosted anywhere else.

I also agree that creating yet another site to host files is bad, if those files are only available on that site, and not uploaded to other sites, like Aminet.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.06.16 - 18:34