Excel program for MorphOS
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Punkyclown
    Hello All, Is there a program like Excel which will run on MorphOS?
    Thank you, Brad Hansen
  • »29.10.16 - 19:14
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    A spreadsheet is a very complex program.
    And even the spreadsheet included in Open Office is no substitute for Excel.
    Trust me on that, I had Open Office on my PC, but I recently had the buy Office in order to obtain Excel.

So, no, there is no program like Excel, even if we were to port a open software spreadsheet, I'd still have to use my PC.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.10.16 - 19:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there a program like Excel which will run on MorphOS?

TurboCalc (commercial). There's also the free Ignition
  • »29.10.16 - 20:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Trust me on that, I had Open Office on my PC, but I recently had the buy Office in order to obtain Excel.

So, no, there is no program like Excel, even if we were to port a open software spreadsheet, I'd still have to use my PC.

Interesting statement, what is it about Excel that you need, that is not present in the Open Office spreadsheet program, or any other spreadsheet programs you could have purchased (probably) cheaper?

I know that most, or all of the old Amiga 68k spreadsheet programs were limited in their capabilities, but this is the first time I have seen anyone comment that Excel was superior to most, or all other spreadsheet programs.

For the OP, I think that the 68k Amiga programs Turbo Calc and Final Calc, run acceptably directly on MorphOS, without needing to fire up UAE.

The first (maybe only) commercial Amiga program I had purchased for me as a gift by one of my family members was the spreadsheet program called "Advantage".
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.10.16 - 20:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I use turbocalc quite a lot for most of my spreads. It's okay for quite some tasks. Runs well on morphos. Excel is no doubt more powerful, but in most cases i don't need those functions. For more sophisticated data *processing* i prefer other Tools (matlab - a program like that on morphos is my hottest wet Dream...).
    Unfortunately turbocalc was coded in asm and hence a further development (by third party) is rather unlikely. Which is a pity since it's generally a good product.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 29.10.2016 - 23:06 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.10.16 - 22:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I don't use spreadsheets so I have no idea what the differences are but OpenOffice is very old and virtually abandoned software, have you tried LibreOffice?

It's good enough for the needs of my friend who is Deputy Chairman of a bank in Azerbaijan if that makes any difference.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »29.10.16 - 23:28
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Interesting statement, what is it about Excel that you need, that is not present in the Open Office spreadsheet program, or any other spreadsheet programs you could have purchased (probably) cheaper?

I know that most, or all of the old Amiga 68k spreadsheet programs were limited in their capabilities, but this is the first time I have seen anyone comment that Excel was superior to most, or all other spreadsheet programs.

For the OP, I think that the 68k Amiga programs Turbo Calc and Final Calc, run acceptably directly on MorphOS, without needing to fire up UAE.

The first (maybe only) commercial Amiga program I had purchased for me as a gift by one of my family members was the spreadsheet program called "Advantage".

Yes, the programs Andreas has mentioned will provide basic spreadsheet functionality to MorphOS.
    They will be painfully behind the open packages currently available under Linux, which in themselves still don't offer some of the features I need from Excel.

AND, I actually don't enjoy using spreadsheets. They're just a necessary evil in business that I have been forced to educate myself about.

At this point, we don't really have very good support for word processing, a relatively simple type of application that has not evolved that much in the last ten or more years.
    A good spreadsheet for MorphOS?
    When fairies fly out my ass.

TurboCalc...hmm. What next, is someone going to bring up Word Perfect for word processing?
    How about solutions from this century?

This post may sound caustic, that's not my intention. I just wanted to point out the lightyears of difference between 'like' and 'acceptable substitute for'.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.10.16 - 02:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Spreedy *duck*
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »30.10.16 - 12:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Care to tell what features _exactly_ that are you miss in all but Excel?
    When I was university teacher I always was wondering how many ppl used Excel for this and that.I found other programs often much better for these tasks. In particular it was statistics, broad data processing or calculations and creating _good_ diagrams.
    I think Excel is pretty mighty, but other (more specialized) programs yield better results. Nevertheless it's also of course a thing of what you are used to.

And regarding Turbocalc - I use it for quite some things. Of course it's not as mighty a Excel, but it's definitely not useless. And it's light weight and stable.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.10.16 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    And regarding Turbocalc - I use it for quite some things. Of course it's not as mighty a Excel, but it's definitely not useless. And it's light weight and stable.

Yeah, and not everyone needs these kinds of programs for professional work. When asked for these kinds of hobby systems it's even more likely that it would be for private/hobby use, and Turbocalc or something similar might very well be enough for the original poster.

I bet "normal" workers wouldn't even use all the features Turbocalc would offer even nowadays... seems that many people use office program features in the way they were already available 20 years ago or so :) Power users are different group of course, but otherwise they are used in pretty basic ways which were already set back then.
  • »30.10.16 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    At this point, we don't really have very good support for word processing, a relatively simple type of application that has not evolved that much in the last ten or more years.

It might be true that word processing hasn't evolved much in the last ten years, but it's definitely not "a relatively simple type of application". In fact, a modern word processor is super-complex and very hard to get right.
  • »30.10.16 - 19:32
  • Just looking around
    dark_knight
    While I agree there hasn't been much progress in the word processing/spreadsheet world, it's important to maintain compatibility with contemporary developments. I hoped that A-EON's LibreOffice announcements would eventually allow it to be run on MorphOS, but I'm holding my breath for it.

Looking at it from a different perspective, has anyone tried to port AmitCygnix to run on MorphOS? That would allow us to run AbiWord, Gnumeric, Gimp and Pidgin without dual-booting.
  • »30.10.16 - 21:17
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    Does Google Docs work with OWB ?

I have been Using it instead of Excel when I've had to do spreadsheets at work recently and it seems just fine. I don't do anything really advanced though, just some simple calculations and charts.
  • »31.10.16 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

Punkyclown wrote:
    Thank you, Brad Hansen

A preview of a new wordprocessor / spreedsheet Calimero 3.7 preview

It was able to load Excel's XLS Files. In this version it exitst only a XLS Parser test.
    You can test your xls files. The parser create a file "ram:XML_Test" then.
    A Excel Export exits, too. It's nearly finished and deliver XLSX Files. This is the new format from Excel.
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »01.11.16 - 23:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:
    Quote:

Punkyclown wrote:
    Thank you, Brad Hansen

A preview of a new wordprocessor / spreedsheet Calimero 3.7 preview

It was able to load Excel's XLS Files. In this version it exitst only a XLS Parser test.
    You can test your xls files. The parser create a file "ram:XML_Test" then.
    A Excel Export exits, too. It's nearly finished and deliver XLSX Files. This is the new format from Excel.

I'll be interested to look at this, especially if you continue the continual progress shown with the Word Processing side.

Out of interest, do you think it would be possible (or desirable from your point of view) to be able to add in functions as some sort of plug-ins, or offer a public API for users to write & compile their own spreadsheet functions? After all, these are just mathematical/string functions which are passed values/element references, albeit with some possible added complications like order of operations to consider.

[ Edited by boot_wb 02.11.2016 - 09:12 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.11.16 - 10:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'd really like Calimero to be a fully operational program, and the usability of Excel importation/saving would be a great addition, but it's current basic usability is not stable or standardised in virtually any way, so it's not ready yet, sadly.

Prematurely adding Excel features into a program that is sadly only stable to type a few lines of text, and maybe a bit more, but fails at many of the features it is supposed to be ready for is, IMHO, too soon for it at this stage to start adding in a complex Excel feature. I say that as brief testing with the current v5 preview with its unusable 'implementation' of 'tables' has yet again shown that to be the case, which again I say sadly is its apparent current stage of development.

Fix the wordprocessing side of Calimero, so it is as generic in the way it handles text, like virtually every other wordprocessor for any other OS, so the ease of use can be gained straight away. Using a clunky mouse highlighting, and hit-and-miss keyboard text highlighting option, that is non-standard, and is really not far off being useless has this program gathering 'dust' in my storage folder on my system, until the next preview is released when I test it again, only to find virtually the same awful situation with text handling keeping this program at the bottom of the pile.

Carsten ' pegasos-sigi2' has a lot of enthusiasm for his program(s), but implementation is key, and that seems to me to be where Calimero is lacking the structure it needs.

These points seem to be being overlooked again, and again, and until each element is fixed, before moving onto 'fudging' the next addition to Calimero the longer this unfortunate situation will prevail. I hate to be the one to say this, but it needs to be said by someone if the program is to get on the right track to improve.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.11.16 - 01:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I'd really like Calimero to be a fully operational program, and the usability of Excel importation/saving would be a great addition, but it's current basic usability is not stable or standardised in virtually any way, so it's not ready yet, sadly.............

Carsten 'pegasos-sigi2' has a lot of enthusiasm for his program(s), but implementation is key, and that seems to me to be where Calimero is lacking the structure it needs.

These points seem to be being overlooked again, and again, and until each element is fixed, before moving onto 'fudging' the next addition to Calimero the longer this unfortunate situation will prevail. I hate to be the one to say this, but it needs to be said by someone if the program is to get on the right track to improve.

I understand your frustration and have seen your many attempts to provide constructive criticism, hoping that Carsten will work on the problems you have pointed out, but it appears to me that he only gets more stubborn and defensive after reading your reviews of his progress (or lack of progress, while adding other semi-supported features). I believe that Carsten's enthusiasm for his program is much more important than any lack of skill, or his different way of implementing features into Calimero. Without this enthusiasm, Carsten would surely give up on working on Calimero, as he certainly isn't doing it with the hopes for making a big pile of cash, once it is finished enough to release to the community. I don't think that Carsten will ever change his way of programming to fit into your opinion of what is standard, or acceptable methods of programming practice, and you will continue to beat your head against a brick wall, which doesn't do either of you any good.

I'm not saying that you should stop reviewing Calimero, or stop giving Carsten constructive criticism, but perhaps you should admit to yourself that Carsten will not listen to your criticism, unless it is presented in a very delicate way that he can digest. He does not appear to be a "typical" programmer, and I applaud your and others attempts to help him by providing constructive criticism. All I am saying is that the results don't seem to reflect the effort being put into trying to help, and maybe you can tweak the manner you present your criticism, because Carsten seems unable, or unwilling to accept your criticism, as it has been presented in the past (which is too bad, because I know that you and others are spending valuable time testing and writing your helpful criticism messages).

Edit: I realize that you have already toned down your criticism, in an attempt to help Carsten, but he continues to be defensive, and apparently unresponsive toward providing the fixes needed, which you have pointed out.

[ Edited by amigadave 03.11.2016 - 12:13 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.11.16 - 21:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I take your (amigadave) point on-board, but if only Carsten would think along the same lines. At the end of the day, it is his program and he can do what he wants with it, but currently it, sadly, seems to be headed into a blind-alley.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »04.11.16 - 01:32