The 8-Bit Guy checks out a G5 Mac
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > would it be technically possible to run a virtual machine client on MorphOS, which
    > ran on one or if the quad core G5 was ever supported, ran on the other 3 cores?

I don't know if this is possible in general, but if it is (in ASMP style like iFusion running on OS3/WarpOS), then such VM would be restricted to running on one core. So if you have more than two cores like in the quad-G5 or the X5000/40, you would have to run more VMs to use more cores. This is because, while the OS running inside the VM may be SMP-capable, the VM itself would still be a MorphOS program and thus bound to the known limitations.

> I am not familiar with how AmigaOS4 is able to run some Linux software,
    > but I assume it is running some kind of X-Windows compatible GUI wrapper

It's X-Windows (X11), but not a GUI wrapper. The programs run with their genuine GUI.

> which I have no idea of how it would work, or if that route is a good or
    > bad option for running more available software. Since there does not seem
    > to be much discussion regarding AmigaOS4.x's ability to run some Linux
    > software using that method, I must assume that it is NOT a great solution
    > for making AmigaOS4.x compatible hardware run more software.

Your assumption regarding AmiCygnix-like solutions is apparently shared by the MorphOS team:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8220&forum=3&start=9
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7785&forum=9&start=23
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7785&forum=9&start=31
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7785&forum=9&start=32
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7785&forum=9&start=48

Sounds about right, two (or more) virtually machines, and the VM software would have to have enough intelligence to manage core assignments and other house keeping tasks in a multiple VM setup.
    That last part sounds like a job for some kind of hypervisor.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.08.16 - 18:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the VM software would have to have enough intelligence to manage
    > core assignments and other house keeping tasks in a multiple VM setup.

In my scenario, core assignment would be managed by an ASMP-enhanced MorphOS. The two (or more) VMs each run on its own core and aren't even aware of each other.

> That last part sounds like a job for some kind of hypervisor.

Yes, implemented at OS level in my scenario.
  • »25.08.16 - 22:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the VM software would have to have enough intelligence to manage
    > core assignments and other house keeping tasks in a multiple VM setup.

In my scenario, core assignment would be managed by an ASMP-enhanced MorphOS. The two (or more) VMs each run on its own core and aren't even aware of each other.

> That last part sounds like a job for some kind of hypervisor.

Yes, implemented at OS level in my scenario.

Considering that most supported systems don't have hardware hypervisor, that makes sense
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »26.08.16 - 23:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    How likely will it be, that we will be able to run other OSes in a virtual machine, while running MorphOS for x64? Edit: I didn't word that very well, so let me try again. How likely is it that either the MorphOS Dev. Team members, or outside 3rd party software developers who create or port software for/to MorphOS, will create a VM program that allows us to run Linux, Android, Windows, MacOSX, or any other OS in a virtual environment running on top of MorphOS for x64?

I know that this is an answer that only the members of the MorphOS Dev. Team can answer for sure, and they might not be able to answer it right away, unless they already know how much work it is to create a VM program for the new MorphOS, but perhaps some of the rest of you already know how much work it is to create a VM capable program, and predict if one will be possible, from the small group of developers that still create software for MorphOS.

[ Edited by amigadave 26.08.2016 - 18:43 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.08.16 - 00:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    How likely will it be, that we will be able to run other OSes in a virtual machine, while running MorphOS for x64? Edit: I didn't word that very well, so let me try again. How likely is it that either the MorphOS Dev. Team members, or outside 3rd party software developers who create or port software for/to MorphOS, will create a VM program that allows us to run Linux, Android, Windows, MacOSX, or any other OS in a virtual environment running on top of MorphOS for x64?

I think it is very likely.
    Am really rather cluelless about virtualization, but isn't the missing ability to access the MMU the show stopper for virtual maschines on todays MorphOS. MorphOS x64 should provide proper MMU access. I mean, the objective of MorphOS x64 with a compability breach is to provide the missing modern features of current MorphOS.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.08.16 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website