Mac Mini G4 - High whining noise
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Hi everyone,

Recently my PowerBook G4 stopped working. Smell, crackling sounds, and now unuseable. :-(

Fortunately I had my Mac Mini G4 which somewhat worked ok. At least that was what I thought, since the Mac Mini have started emitting a very loud noise (fans are constantly running at full speed). It has started only booting 1 out of like 6 times as well. I have opened it, but could not find anything wrong.

Anyone knows if this is fixable? Perhaps a new Mini is in order?

Thanks in advance. :-)
    Member of Void - An Amiga demo group (website)
  • »31.05.23 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Sound like a heat problem.

You will have to open it up and clean it out and I would strongly recommend redoing the thermal paste too
  • »31.05.23 - 11:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yup, sounds like thermal paste issue. Or possibly either a fan at the end of the life or a broken thermal sensor.
  • »31.05.23 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Puni schrieb:
    Hi everyone,

Recently my PowerBook G4 stopped working. Smell, crackling sounds, and now unuseable. :-(

Fortunately I had my Mac Mini G4 which somewhat worked ok. At least that was what I thought, since the Mac Mini have started emitting a very loud noise (fans are constantly running at full speed). It has started only booting 1 out of like 6 times as well. I have opened it, but could not find anything wrong.

Anyone knows if this is fixable? Perhaps a new Mini is in order?

Thanks in advance. :-)

You could check if the thermal sensor reports anything reasonable, at least in order to check if the sensor is OK - I once did a tool for this, you could check this old thread:

Old Mac Mini G4 temperature sensor thread
  • »31.05.23 - 12:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Thanks for the helpful tips guys! :-) Would be great to have the computer running properly again.

@cyfm

Thanks for the link. :-) Have now downloaded your tool.
    Member of Void - An Amiga demo group (website)
  • »31.05.23 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

Puni escribió:
    Thanks for the helpful tips guys! :-) Would be great to have the computer running properly again.

@cyfm

Thanks for the link. :-) Have now downloaded your tool.

If you PowerBook hasn't repair, do not throw it away, save it for spare parts.
  • »31.05.23 - 16:05