News Item Updated
Following our announcements and posts (which did start out on mailing lists) and all the discussion that has insued it seems that it would be useful to point out a few misconceptions and adjustments to our ealier posts...
We will update this News item later today with the details.
We like the site and want to test the interest in the message and draw people into...
Can we clear up a few details?
1. We will provide a G4 module for Pegasos I owners -- we will no longer make the Pegasos I after we produce the next 400-450 (that number did not change - just remember we are "recycling" Betatester and April 1 boards). That means there will not be a Pegasos I G4 release, BUT we can still offer a G4 module. Alternately, Pegasos I purchasers will have the 200 Euro upgrade package to the Pegasos II (with trade-in).
2. This does not mean that someone else might make the Pegasos I. We will most likely license the board design with the new Articia (if it works as it should) to another manufacturer - like Plexuscom for example.
3. The STB "deal" pays for everything, so that we do not have to anymore (whew!). Do any of you actually have any idea how much a development costs or to run a day-to-day business? Nothing changes, we just have an opportunity for growth now. The desktop, the home and business server, and the handheld markets are all in the plan -- one step at a time. The core technology -- the Pegasos and MorphOS -- develops and evolves. Everything is given the opportunity to improve and reach a level where it can be competitive in the broader market. (BTW, did any of you notice just how many video game consoles, satellite television recievers, and cable set-top boxes were sold last year? It is a BIG number! Psst....THE STB IS A CASE WITH A PEGASOS INSIDE RUNNING MORPHOS!
4. OpenBSD now works on the Pegasos. More to come!
5. About the units we are now selling -- as of today there are roughly 230 left. You have received confirmation from us if you have boards coming to you. We have dealers that have not paid us for earlier purchases and these boards will only go to those that pay (this is a still a business). Aside from the boards to be sold, all core MorphOS Developers will get boards, all Phoenix members will get boards, and, anyone who has pre-paid a Dealer will get a board. We did not accept pre-payments ourselves, but some Dealers have. If we know about it we can assist you. If not, sorry! All the other possibilities will be decided on a case-by-case basis. For example, we have awarded six boards already to Demo Scene Teams and 35 to User Groups -- User Groups have to already have been in existence!
Remember, this is more about the future than a business now for us (but, it still is). We are trying to find a good balance between the present and the future?
You see, we do have a "present" for you too!
P.S. Anyone can buy a board and test it against or with anything they want -- we are fully open! Cheers!