MOS3.0 on PowerBook - first impression
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    I've just installed MOS3.0 on my power book which arrived today. :-)

Just a few first impressions:

1. Installation process - quick and painless. My PowerBook was originally set up for a German user and as I don't speak German I decided to perform a totally clean install. No problem.

2. Booted to the usual MorphOS workbench which on first impression dosen't look a lot different from the earlier version. However couldn't get menu bar to work until I discovered that the Mac mouse' lack of a second mouse button was the culprit.

3. Wireless networking - dosen't seem to be a way to use the internal Mac's wifi? :-( although wired Ethernet works fine?

That's all for the moment.

TrevorD

[ Edited by TrevorDick 09.06.2012 - 12:22 ]
  • »08.06.12 - 23:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > dosent't seem to be a way to use the internal Mac's wifi?

Airport Extreme support will come only in a later release, if at all.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=9&topic_id=8121&start=24
  • »09.06.12 - 00:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Dragster
    Is it possible to install it without losing my current OSX partition and the data I have in it?

Thanks!
  • »09.06.12 - 00:16
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Thanks, I obviously missed that discussion/annoucement.

A little disapponited, but has not stopped me registering MorphOS3.0.

TrevorD

Edit: Update - registered and now paid. :-)

Update 2: registered, paid and received my keyfile Now that's what I call service. :-)

[ Edited by TrevorDick 09.06.2012 - 17:54 ]
  • »09.06.12 - 00:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Dragster,
    Quote:

Is it possible to install it without losing my current OSX partition and the data I have in it?

Yes, but you will need either a MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard installation DVD, or one of the Linux Live DVD's which has partitioning tools that are able to re-size partitions, without re-formatting and losing all the data on those partitions. The MacOSX 10.4.x installation DVD cannot do this without formatting the partitions being re-sized.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.12 - 00:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metalmac
    So you say that after this long wait, there is no suport for the wifi, then no mening for me to get a powerbook then :-(
    PowerBook G4@1.5Ghz, 1Gb ram, MorphOS 3.12
    Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz, 500Mb HD, 6mb RAM, Workbench 3.1
    AspireOne, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Icaros Desktop
    AmigaOne 500, 2Gb ram, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
  • »09.06.12 - 04:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Dragster
    Thanks AmigaDave... I found the link on the morphos team website to the wiki where the process is explained in great detail. I have a 10.5.x installation DVD so I guess I can use that to resize the current partition.

Cheers,

Dragster
  • »09.06.12 - 04:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    metalmac,
    Quote:

So you say that after this long wait, there is no suport for the wifi, then no mening for me to get a powerbook then :-(

If you have been reading my posts and those of several other members here, there are several ways to setup a wireless networking equivalent, such as the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAR that I purchased refurbished and with a discount coupon from NewEgg for less than $12 including delivery to my front door. It works really well, is very small and light, can be powered by the PowerBook's USB port, connects to your WLAN with easy installation instructions and connects to the PowerBook's Ethernet port by standard cable. So, with this device, or other similar devices, it makes it easy to have a portable wireless networking solution, your until the work is finished to support the Atheros5000 wireless CardBus NIC's, which were announced earlier as being worked on, to provide wireless networking and Internet access. There is also a possibility that some third party software developer(s), or the MorphOS Dev. Team themselves, will write drivers and other related software components required to support the G4 PowerBook's built-in AirPort Extreme card, but no one has announced that they are working on, or will work on supporting the AirPort card inside the G4 PowerBook's.

I would guess that completing work on the Atheros5000 chipset wireless CardBus NIC's that has already been started will be the highest, or one of the highest priorities to complete for inclusion in a MorphOS3.1 release, which should come within a few weeks, or months, not 1-1/2 to 2 years, now that most of the difficult work has been completed for the support of G4 PowerBook's.

Wireless networking and Internet support is probably going to be the most sought after feature asked for my most MorphOS3.0 users (like yourself) who own G4 PowerBook's, so I believe that the MorphOS Dev. Team will listen to their users and work toward providing what the users want, by completing the work that was already started as shown by the one of two MorphOS Dev. Team members who have been seen using an Atheros5000 chipset wireless CardBus NIC on their own G4 PowerBook's to access the Internet wirelessly at events in the past. There must have been additional work required to finalize the support for those Atheros5000 CardBus NIC's, or the Dev. Team would have included support for them with MorphOS3.0.

So, go ahead and find yourself a MorphOS3.0 compatible G4 PowerBook to purchase and enjoy MorphOS3.0 either without any wireless Internet connectivity for now, or also find one of the devices like I am using, or like the devices other MorphOS users are using, to provide yourself with the portability like what you want from the built-in AirPort Extreme card, or the soon to be supported Atheros5000 CardBus NIC's. There is no reason to wait for actual support of the Atheros5000 wireless NIC's, or support for the built-in AirPort cards, since we have other alternatives that can provide wireless Internet access at a low cost.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.12 - 05:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > no one has announced that they [...] will work on supporting the
    > AirPort card inside the G4 PowerBook's.

Fab's Alchimie presentation slides list "Airport" in orange colour (i.e. planned for after MorphOS 3.0) under "Support PowerBook". As the G4 PowerBooks don't have original AirPort but AirPort Extreme I'm inclined to take that as announcement of future support for the G4 PowerBook's AirPort Extreme.
  • »09.06.12 - 09:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Works great, and also the memtest does what it is supposed to do when 3x 512Mb ram installed in my Powermac. I guess I can also source a SATA card now and make a dualboot system with big HD's
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »09.06.12 - 10:03
    Profile Visit Website
    osco
    First Post from the PowerBook :-D using 3.0
    Where is MPlayer?"
    Had to alt to boot "c" didnt work
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »09.06.12 - 14:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metalmac
    Now I am writing this in OWB 1.17 in MorphOS 3.0 :-D

The instalation went smoth and everything seems to work for me :-)

Thanks for this grate uppdate!
    PowerBook G4@1.5Ghz, 1Gb ram, MorphOS 3.12
    Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz, 500Mb HD, 6mb RAM, Workbench 3.1
    AspireOne, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Icaros Desktop
    AmigaOne 500, 2Gb ram, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
  • »09.06.12 - 18:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    First of all - It works, thanks to all the developer who made
    it possible. On my Powerbook the installation went well after three faulty ISO downloads :-) . It looks good, but after installing some
    libs I tried my first game. Hmmm there seems to be no way to change
    the Screen-Resolution 1280x854 is a bit to much for a game that opens
    in 640x480. But if anyone has an idea, that would be great!
    :-?
    greets
    defender
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »09.06.12 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where is MPlayer?

It's where it has always been.
  • »09.06.12 - 23:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Where is MPlayer?

MPlayer cannot be included because of US patent laws. So, are the politicians you vote for pro or against software patents?
  • »09.06.12 - 23:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mequa
    Quote:

MPlayer cannot be included because of US patent laws. So, are the politicians you vote for pro or against software patents?

Which patent(s) would MorphOS be violating by bundling MPlayer (as opposed to making it an optional extra)?
  • »10.06.12 - 00:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mt12345
    Sold my Powerbook5,8 few months ago. Too big, too heavy and too old.
    Anyone tried 3.0 on iBook?
  • »10.06.12 - 07:45
    stephen_robinson
    iBook?

Yes, I've tried it.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8042&forum=11&start=80

from number 95 onwards.

(Where the bloomin' heck is the hash key on a UK apple keyboard on MacOS X??!?)
  • »10.06.12 - 08:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mt12345
    Quote:

(Where the bloomin' heck is the hash key on a UK apple keyboard on MacOS X??!?)

er... Alt+3 ? :-?

Ibook is a piece of cheap plastic crap but I'd buy it again (12inch) if it had support in MorphOS.
  • »10.06.12 - 09:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    why not have 2 installs then? one to make us patent laws happy and one for everyone else?
  • »10.06.12 - 10:04
    stephen_robinson
    Because it's easier just to allow people download their own media player of choice?
  • »10.06.12 - 10:11
  • ASiegel
    @ zhulien

Quote:

why not have 2 installs then? one to make us patent laws happy and one for everyone else?

Because there are legal obstacles outside of the United States as well. In Europe, the situation is fairly complicated. Just as an example, you can find a list of some patents related to H.264 on the following page...

Link: h.264 patents in Europe

Just a few weeks ago, Motorola won an initial ruling against Microsoft that involved patents surrounding the h.264 standard. The case is about to go to trial.

Link: Article

Of course, h.264 is just one out of many different codecs that are supported by MPlayer.
  • »10.06.12 - 10:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Installed fairly easily. Followed the dual boot guide and all is working well (including sound).

Initially, OSX complained that the "Boot" partition needed repair -- I ended up reformatting that partition with OSX and then reinstalling MorphOS. Then I edited /etc/fstab/ so that the "Boot" partition wouldn't be mounted when OSX booted.

I also edited OF to "skip-netboot" (as noted in the guide), which made a big difference on my machine.

Oh, yeah -- registered too! ;-)

Edit: Holy cow! Already received the keyfile!

[ Edited by klesterjr 14.06.2012 - 01:09 ]
  • »14.06.12 - 06:05
  • Just looking around
    FerruleMedia
    We just ordered a few Powerbooks, and we are looking forward to finally try MorphOS. Even if we usually develop using Hollywood / Designer on OS4, i think it will be great to be able to use MorphOS on a laptop.

I will try to make them dualboot with OSX, so i might ask some questions about this later on.

One question - the Powerbooks we have ordered have english keyboards, and by this they will miss the Norwegian letters - does anyone know if Norwegian keymaps will work on these computers?

Best regards

Torgeir Vee
    Ferrule Media
    Norway
    www.ferrule-media.no
  • »15.06.12 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    We do have already 2 of them and they work really very well together with MorphOS 3.0, it's great! We do all our development of Kiosk solutions for the tourist branch with Hollywood and Designer under MorphOS and it works fast and great.

On the Powerbook for now hardware alpha acceleration is not imlemented yet but should come soon.

Best regards
    Christoph
  • »15.06.12 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website