Bounty for writing programming tutorials
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Amount and paypal address please, or IBAN and SWIFT code. Just bear in mind that I have a new MorphOS user at home (2 weeks only).
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.10.10 - 21:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Bounty Manager
    insane
    We recieved 7 donations for the programming toturial unitl now.
    I have to add them manuel to the bounty-system, this is the reason
    why the amount is zero when you look at the bounty-section...
    I will try to add them this evening or tommorow.
  • »20.10.10 - 09:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fogg_80
    Tutorial is a good idea, for me. Tomorrow, i think, donation.
    Stile Ubuntu
    Sorry for my bad english.
  • »21.10.10 - 14:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @Krashan

Thanks for a fantastic idea!

It seems that this task is upon you now.

I still have question, not been around for awhile (sold my Mini for financial reasons). Do you plan to include tutorial for Python/PyMui? I do not know what's the stage of yomgui's development but I was close to write some program in Python 9i have 4 years experience in python).

To summarize, because python is easy and very popular, especially in the linux world, it is worth to include it, as a second language I guess, aside C/C++. All the more MorphOS has it - but poorly documented.

What do you think?
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »21.10.10 - 14:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I have a strong negative personal opinion about Python language, backed up by some tries to learn it. Sorry, no Python from me.
  • »21.10.10 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixK
    For french, find some good tutorials :
    http://www.gurumed.net/index.php/Accueil

SixK
  • »21.10.10 - 21:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've just finished a set of 4 articles fulfilling the first goal of bounty for programmer tutorials.

You can read them there and express your opinion in this thread.
  • »23.10.10 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    Nice to see this done so quickly! There are a few typos and minor grammar mistakes but they don't effect overall readability. This may the wrong place to ask... Who's allowed to create and edit library articles?

Edit: I think I just found the answer to my question - http://morphos-user.com/

[ Edited by ausPPC on 2010/10/24 11:38 ]
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »23.10.10 - 23:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    There are a few typos and minor grammar mistakes

Why not list them here or send me a PM? I can fix them then and improve the articles. English is not my native language, so some mistakes are unavoidable...
  • »24.10.10 - 07:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    manga
    cool! Thank you Krashan! this is a good start. some questions left:
    how to use the autodocs? its possible to use them directly from cubicide?
    now we can open muimaster library. how to combine a hello world printout in a simple one button mui gui.
    ? how to use subproccesses? whats the best way to debug? any log or something?

perhaps its possible to expand the tutorial a bit :) thanks in advance!

[ Edited by manga on 2010/10/24 9:31 ]
    Powermac MDD 1,25GHz Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB, 1,5gb, Terratec Aureon Space, USB2.0 NEC, MorphOS 2.6 regged, Powermac MDD Dual1.42, Radeon X800XT PE 256MB waiting for r300 support, Mac Mini 1.5GHz MorphOS 2.6 Regged, Efika Radeon 9250 128MB Morphos 2.6
  • »24.10.10 - 08:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    cool! Thank you Krashan! this is a good start. some questions left: [...] perhaps its possible to expand the tutorial a bit :) thanks in advance!

Yes, it is possible. I see it this way: I've stated this first set of articles is worth 25 euro to me. It still applies. The bounty has 185 euro now. Then, when these 25 euro is transferred to me, 160 is still left. We can discuss here what topics should I cover next, for similar bounty sub-amount. I guess it is a fair approach?

I hope you understand that answering most of your questions is impossible in a short forum post. The simplest question is about autodocs. Yes, you can use them from CubicIDE. CubicIDE has an autodoc parser. You specify directories for the parser, then it creates a kind of help database. Then you can set the cursor on a function name and press a hotkey. Then documentation of the function is displayed in a separate window. MorphED, an editor included with the SDK (which is some limited special edition of CubicIDE in fact) does it too.
  • »24.10.10 - 08:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Hi Krashan,

Nice tutorials.

Some ideas for next tutorials :

- how to debug: kprintf usage, how to interpret debug log (henes did a tutorial on the subject iirc), usage of various debugtool (mungwall like for ex., wipeout etc...)

- custom startup code (already planned i guess, there is a 'dead' link in current tutorial)

- Memory: Everybody needs allocating memory at some point. Alloc*/Free* functions. Some words about local and global symbols and their impact on stack usage. How to track memory leaks.

++
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »24.10.10 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Good first step. Nice to read and pretty informative. I hope with the information provided in part #1 I will be able to update my Cubic IDE installation to the new sdk now.

As for the next step I think a simple and well commented MUI "Hello world" would be most helpful. After that an introduction to debugging.

One other question though regarding calling functions with the same name. Means: When I call printf and include proto/dos.h *and* stdio.h how can I determine which printf will be used? Is there some hierarchy?

[ Editiert durch Zylesea an 2010/10/24 12:33 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.10.10 - 10:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    One other question though regarding calling functions with the same name. Means: When I call printf and include proto/dos.h *and* stdio.h how can I determine which printf will be used? Is there some hierarchy?

Standard C library function is printf(). MorphOS API function is Printf(). Identifiers in C (function name is an identifier) are case sensitive. Then they are just two different functions.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/10/24 11:39 ]
  • »24.10.10 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Nice starting point for the new developers!

I vote for some kind of debuging howto (shared memory concept, what is a 'hit', getting debuglog, understanding the log, kprintf, wipeout and other usefull tools) and of course a complete, multi-section MUI tutorial. Some basic introduction to exec.library and dos.library woult also be nice-to-have imho.
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »24.10.10 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    Really nice tutorials so far.
    Please go on describing dos, mui,ahi and cybergraphics.
    Please no stanbdard c, because there are so many books about c.
    Perhaps some words about amiga specific malloc/free.

EDIT: Also interesting: Threading, Logging Service, ...

[ Edited by eliot on 2010/10/24 13:42 ]

[ Edited by eliot on 2010/10/24 19:34 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »24.10.10 - 11:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Krashan schrieb:
    Standard C library function is printf(). MorphOS API function is Printf(). Identifiers in C (function name is an identifier) are case sensitive. Then they are just two different functions.

I see. Case sensitivity is always a save trap for me. Be it on a Linux console, Matlab or C++. I always overlook it. Over teh years I should have learned to be a bit more astute in that regard. But I guess will continue to step into that trap aiagn and again...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.10.10 - 12:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Ok, so it seems the general reception is positive. AusPPC is sending me a pack of style and grammar fixes. After merging them I will consider the first bounty stage as finished and apply for 25 euro. Then the next stage may be defined. I see most votes go for two topics: debugging and MUI basics. Which one should I take first?

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/10/24 21:11 ]
  • »24.10.10 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Debug from my pov.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »24.10.10 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    I'm curious about how C programmers debug their code too.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »24.10.10 - 22:50
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    please create some sort of debugger, something lowlevel, like monam is on amiga, this is what do i really miss on morphos...

bye, MarK.
  • »25.10.10 - 06:54
    polluks
    Does the MUI chapter include an application and a ChocolateCastle example? :-?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »25.10.10 - 07:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

I've just finished a set of 4 articles fulfilling the first goal of bounty for programmer tutorials.

Wonderful read. It immediately takes me back to an age when I was learning how to make computers obey humans.

(nowadays, I wonder if that was a good idea anyway :-D)

Your articles are a very rare example of deeply technical writings that, at the same time, can raise genuine emotions. Perhaps you feel them too when you write them.

On a more achademic note, of course, congratulations. I for one would say that these four articles ar exactly what was missing. The problem is, you know... The audience now roars for more!
  • »25.10.10 - 08:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    The problem is, you know... The audience now roars for more!

This is not a problem :-) especially as I've seen the bounty sum has been raised recently. I think the next goal will be "MUIfied Hello World". I want to give it a precedence. Debug tutorial is also important, but debugging plain "Hello world!" is a bit boring IMHO ;-). There is another reason, debugging course should also cover capturing debug via FireWire and I'm just in a process of getting a PowerMac, so I will have some personal experience.

Then the MUI entry level tutorial will cover following topics:

- BOOPSI as an Object Oriented Programming framework, how MUI builds on it.
    - Event driven programming and it's implementation in MUI. Notifications.
    - Creating basic MUI application.

As an example, i will prepare a minimalistic MUI program having a textfield and a button. I'm not yet sure what amount it will be worth to me, it depends on number of sub-articles needed to cover the above topics. MUI is a very broad topic and I expect more bounty sub-goals will be spent on it in the future.
  • »26.10.10 - 16:56
    Profile Visit Website