Amiga.org may have a new owner soon.
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Posts: 2795 from 2006/3/21
    From: Northern Calif...
    There are a couple of threads over at A.org regarding the sale of the site, which this time appears to be going through, or at least being discussed seriously, if any of you are interested in such things.

    It's like a second home for me and I have made it my home page for years.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.08.09 - 01:13
    Profile
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Posts: 44 from 2006/11/23
    From: Serbia
    I really hope that BBRV could take amiga.org because that site equals all amiga os'es. Unlike aw.net where mostly red boys come.

    With amiga.org, MOS might reach wider userbase.
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »21.08.09 - 08:40
    Profile
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1948 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:


    srbin wrote:
    I really hope that BBRV could take amiga.org because that site equals all amiga os'es. Unlike aw.net where mostly red boys come.

    With amiga.org, MOS might reach wider userbase.


    Are you out of your mind? Couldn't think of a more controversial owner for the site? :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »21.08.09 - 09:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Posts: 44 from 2006/11/23
    From: Serbia
    ?

    Guess not. What's the big deal with BBRV? Some sort of rumours like programmers are not payed (but yet, new one come) etc....?

    I kinda like them, they are funny, give donations and really like amiga. Sorry, but can't think of better.
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »21.08.09 - 10:37
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 12112 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > What's the big deal with BBRV? Some sort of rumours like
    > programmers are not payed (but yet, new one come) etc....?

    You don't know the history between BBRV and Wayne Hunt, do you?
  • »21.08.09 - 11:09
    Profile
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Posts: 44 from 2006/11/23
    From: Serbia
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > What's the big deal with BBRV? Some sort of rumours like
    > programmers are not payed (but yet, new one come) etc....?

    You don't know the history between BBRV and Wayne Hunt, do you?



    Nope. I have seen in wayne's post some negative stuff about BBRV, but don't have a slightest clue.

    Can somebody enlighten me?
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »21.08.09 - 11:47
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Posts: 1213 from 2004/12/1
    From: Paris, France
    Quote:

    Can somebody enlighten me?


    can't we just stop this kind of history threads ? there are dozens of gigabytes of bullshit about all the past stories everywhere on the net already. And we don't really need to get the old stories being told once again and turning into the great feast of hypocrisis and frustrated minds. I personnaly got tired about trying to understand or believe anything or anyone.

    Time to focus on the future.
  • »21.08.09 - 13:44
    Profile
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    Posts: 59 from 2007/10/11
    From: Calgary, Alberta
    @srbin
    Quote:

    Can somebody enlighten me?

    Many of us know what happened but you should talk to Wayne Hunt directly about that.

    Wayne Hunt is not the only victim of Genesi by a long shot either.

    Here is some history for you: http://www.morphos.net

    Note the dates Nov 09, 2004 and Nov 17, 2004 where something very bad must have happened. There is a claim that payments were being missed as far back as July 2003 and Wayne Hunt is on the list as of Nov 29, 2004.

    Ancient history? Not for Wayne Hunt it isn't.

    [ Edited by Darth_X on 2009/8/29 11:28 ]
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »21.08.09 - 18:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Posts: 1373 from 2003/2/15
    From: Central Europe
    Amiga Inc. (Delaware)'s registration for the "Amiga" mark in the United States includes the following use:

    "IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Providing on-line forums for transmission of messages among computer users concerning computers and computer technology"

    There are various similar uses listed as well.

    If a US-based company such as Genesi was to buy an online forum with a domain such as amiga.org, there is a high probability that they would face legal trouble in the future.

    In all fairness it should be mentioned that owners of registered marks and trademarks can actually lose their special protection rights if they do not actively protect them. (This is a key difference between registered marks and patents, for instance.)
  • »21.08.09 - 18:51
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Posts: 2795 from 2006/3/21
    From: Northern Calif...
    Quote:


    ASiegel wrote:
    Amiga Inc. (Delaware)'s registration for the "Amiga" mark in the United States includes the following use:

    "IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Providing on-line forums for transmission of messages among computer users concerning computers and computer technology"

    There are various similar uses listed as well.

    If a US-based company such as Genesi was to buy an online forum with a domain such as amiga.org, there is a high probability that they would face legal trouble in the future.

    In all fairness it should be mentioned that owners of registered marks and trademarks can actually lose their special protection rights if they do not actively protect them. (This is a key difference between registered marks and patents, for instance.)


    Wayne Hunt, the current owner of Amiga.org is U.S. based and has had no threats, or requests to cease and desist from Amiga Inc. as far as I have heard. That is not to say that it could not happen in the future, but why should it change now if Amiga Inc. has not bothered for the last 15 years?

    Regarding the other posts which mention the possibility of BBRV purchasing A.org, I don't know all the history between Wayne and BBRV, but from the few brief comments Wayne has made, I am sure he would refuse to sell to them at any price. But I could be wrong, as money in sufficient quantities cures many ills and forgives many past wrongs.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.08.09 - 19:34
    Profile
  • ASiegel
    Posts: 1373 from 2003/2/15
    From: Central Europe
    Quote:


    amigadave wrote:

    Wayne Hunt, the current owner of Amiga.org is U.S. based and has had no threats, or requests to cease and desist from Amiga Inc. as far as I have heard. That is not to say that it could not happen in the future, but why should it change now if Amiga Inc. has not bothered for the last 15 years?


    First of all, the current incarnation of Amiga Inc. has not existed for 15 years. Also, the specific use of the Amiga mark I quote earlier was added rather recently. Secondly, I suggest you talk to Wayne directly about his experience with Amiga and the amiga.org domain.
  • »21.08.09 - 19:42
    Profile
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Nitro
    Posts: 106 from 2003/8/24
    From: Albuquerque, NM
    Maybe Doommaster will buy Amiga.org :lol:
  • »21.08.09 - 22:08
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    @ srbin & ssolie

    Quote:


    srbin wrote:
    Quote:

    You don't know the history between BBRV and Wayne Hunt, do you?


    Nope. I have seen in wayne's post some negative stuff about BBRV, but don't have a slightest clue.

    Can somebody enlighten me?


    Today it doesn't really matter, it's ancient history. But unlike *most other* instances from the Pretory/Thendic crisis, in the case of *Wayne Hunt* and them, I think *both* parties fealt cheated, which actually is kind of unique from that era. I won't divulge further than that, since there is no point. If Wayne wants out from the Amiga world now, let him leave in peace. He has earned that, from the many years of his amiga.org efforts alone...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.08.09 - 22:56
    Profile
  • Moderator
    Golem
    Posts: 766 from 2003/2/28
    From: Denmark
    Quote:


    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I won't divulge further than that, since there is no point.

    So why did you bring it up?
  • »21.08.09 - 23:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    amigadave wrote:
    There are a couple of threads over at A.org regarding the sale of the site, which this time appears to be going through, or at least being discussed seriously, if any of you are interested in such things.

    It's like a second home for me and I have made it my home page for years.


    I hear what you are saying. Wayne has a point in that Amiga.org predates *any* other "Amiga Entity" except Commodore themselves, and I understand your want and need of the site to continue, and I kind of agree!

    But I must say that under the current Amiga circumstances, I feel that the price he is asking is of a more Science Fiction kind, but I can't blame him for trying, and I wish him luck with that. But I see some "bounty" thing going on? Well, if you (or whoever is handling this) can guarantee that the site will be *open for all* and everyone (not just Amiga (classics), but also eumulation, the PPC NG variants (MorphOS and OS4), AROS, and also Anubis (if that will ever become something)), then I will consider chipping in a hundred buck or two to the bounty.

    Is there a formal bounty BTW? Or how is this handled?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.08.09 - 23:17
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Golem wrote:
    Quote:


    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I won't divulge further than that, since there is no point.

    So why did you bring it up?


    I responded to srbin and ssolie, I thought that was obvious?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.08.09 - 23:19
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    @amigadave

    Amiga.org did receive "pressure" from the trade mark owner. And I also know for a fact that DaveyD of AmigaWorld.net has received some "pressure" as well.

    OTOH, putting "pressure" is as easy to send an e-mail, but actually bending over and submitting to bogus claims is a completely different thing...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.08.09 - 23:27
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    amigadave wrote:
    There are a couple of threads over at A.org regarding the sale of the site, which this time appears to be going through, or at least being discussed seriously, if any of you are interested in such things.

    It's like a second home for me and I have made it my home page for years.


    "That being said, I'm very happy to informally announce I have received an offer from a person I trust with the future of this site. He, his partners, and I have come to a tentative agreement regarding the sale and subsequent transfer of Amiga.org."


    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49012
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.08.09 - 00:12
    Profile
  • Moderator
    Golem
    Posts: 766 from 2003/2/28
    From: Denmark
    Quote:


    takemehomegrandma wrote:

    I responded to srbin and ssolie, I thought that was obvious?

    Yes, it was obviously a response, I gathered that much.
    Thanks for playing.
  • »22.08.09 - 00:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1948 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:


    takemehomegrandma wrote:

    But I must say that under the current Amiga circumstances, I feel that the price he is asking is of a more Science Fiction kind, but I can't blame him for trying, and I wish him luck with that.



    You crazy? Amigans will pay whatever he asks, just see
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »22.08.09 - 02:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Posts: 1218 from 2003/6/17
    Quote:


    Yes, it was obviously a response, I gathered that much.
    Thanks for playing.




    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • »22.08.09 - 03:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Posts: 2795 from 2006/3/21
    From: Northern Calif...
    Sold in about 48 hours or less!

    I guess the price was not so much Science Fiction, was it?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.08.09 - 08:55
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2720 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    amigadave wrote:
    Sold in about 48 hours or less!

    I guess the price was not so much Science Fiction, was it?


    I still think it is, I fail to see how it could be worth that kind of money. But on the other hand, the same goes for the Sam440's, yet some people pay whatever Acube asks. Well, a big congratulations to Wayne for the deal, he can't be anything but happy about it! Now it will be interesting to see how this will affect the site...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.08.09 - 13:17
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Posts: 227 from 2009/4/28
    From: Land of Santa
    Quote:


    hooligan wrote:

    You crazy? Amigans will pay whatever he asks, just see


    Sad but true... only amiga makes it possible.
  • »22.08.09 - 15:54
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Posts: 2795 from 2006/3/21
    From: Northern Calif...
    Quote:


    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:


    amigadave wrote:
    Sold in about 48 hours or less!

    I guess the price was not so much Science Fiction, was it?


    I still think it is, I fail to see how it could be worth that kind of money. But on the other hand, the same goes for the Sam440's, yet some people pay whatever Acube asks. Well, a big congratulations to Wayne for the deal, he can't be anything but happy about it! Now it will be interesting to see how this will affect the site...




    Well I guess Amiga prices are like Beauty, which is in the "Eye of the Beholder". The SAM is too much for me to spend, but not for many who want to run AOS4.x and missed out on getting an Amiga One. It is nice to have new hardware available, but it is a shame that it is priced so high that not everyone that wants to run AOS4.x can get one. The price performance ratio is very high when compared to just about everything else, including the high prices of Macs.

    Hopefully Hyperion is working on something else that will be more price competitive that we can buy in the near future. My hope is that they will choose to complete the Moana project and allow AOS4.x to run on the G4 PPC MacMini, but that seems to be just wishful thinking on my part. I would love to run OSX, MOS and AOS on my MacMini.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.08.09 - 21:36
    Profile