Programming new MorphOS applications
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Is "C" still the preferred programming language for most MorphOS applications?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.11.08 - 00:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    C is the most popular but C++ is also fine along AmigaE and Pascal. All examples in the SDK are written in C.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.11.08 - 00:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    And, in a similar vein, would the real MorphOS developer site please stand up?
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »26.11.08 - 00:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    IMHO a general Amiga developer site is pretty good.
    utilitybase.com
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »26.11.08 - 00:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    IMHO a general Amiga developer site is pretty good: utilitybase.com

Indeed it looks good, and it's been alive for quite some time. It's a shame that it only has a couple of MorphOS specific forums... with almost no activity within.
    Fortunately, there are references to MorphOS in other forums. At least, it's not as depressing as the "MorphOS Developer Connection" site.
  • »26.11.08 - 09:40
  • Just looking around
    r1vver
    MorphOS Developer Connection site:

Quote:

You are a registered member, but your account has not yet been unlocked.
    Once you get unlocked, you automatically get a notification via email.

and it's second day after signup...

MorphOS SDK is so secret weapon?
  • »26.11.08 - 14:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

MorphOS SDK is so secret weapon?

I don't think so. Tools that bring programmers to the cause should be, on the contrary, as much widespread as possible.
    So, if people agree, I can write here my MDC login and password, to reach the files, in MorphOS Developer Connection, and download the SDK.

Have you seen morphos-dev.net? I think it's innoficial, but looks very good.

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2008/11/26 17:25 ]
  • »26.11.08 - 16:15
  • Just looking around
    r1vver
    Quote:

So, if people agree, I can write here my MDC login and password, to reach the files, in MorphOS Developer Connection, and download the SDK.

Unfortunately, this may be perceived as a violation of the rules :-(
  • »26.11.08 - 16:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

r1vver wrote:

Quote:

if people agree, I can write here my MDC login and password

Unfortunately, this may be perceived as a violation of the rules :-(

Well, if those rules are more important that having people work for MorphOS... By the way, where can I read about those rules? Who would we harm sooooo much if we break them?
  • »26.11.08 - 16:43
    Golem
    Quote:

By the way, where can I read about those rules?

Here are the terms of use you accepted when you signed up.
  • »26.11.08 - 17:25
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    ........ or just go the not so obvious but easier way:
    Cubic-IDE

Download the Demo (restricted to 1000 lines per file) and the C++-package (includes the MorphOS-SDK), and you have a setup that can be installed/used even by beginners.
  • »26.11.08 - 22:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Cubic-IDE

Download the Demo (restricted to 1000 lines per file) and the C++-package (includes the MorphOS-SDK), and you have a setup that can be installed/used even by beginners.

Speaking of Cubic IDE is it possible change editor behaviour in Cubic IDE?

On the editor when I am at end of line and press <cursor-right> then cursor moves one step to the right (even though I was already at the end). On every other editor cursor goes to a beginning of next line. Is it possible change this behaviour? I could not find setting to change this.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.11.08 - 23:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Cubic-IDE

That is what I was looking for. An easy way for a beginner like me to start writing code for MorphOS.

I will have to download and install the above later today.

Thanks

Edit: Can it also be used to write backward compatible Amiga programs?

[ Edited by amigadave on 2008/11/26 15:46 ]
  • »26.11.08 - 23:45
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Edit: Can it also be used to write backward compatible Amiga programs?

Yes!

Which reminds me to go get it as well..
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »27.11.08 - 02:07
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    > Download the Demo (restricted to 1000 lines per file) and the C++-package

Regrettably, I can no longer offer the C++ package (compilers and SDKs) for downloading due to the current server not permitting 160MB files. The contained, licensed material makes it impssible to simply upload the package to Aminet.
  • »27.11.08 - 19:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Dietmar wrote:

Regrettably, I can no longer offer the C++ package (compilers and SDKs) for downloading due to the current server not permitting 160MB files. The contained, licensed material makes it impssible to simply upload the package to Aminet.

Does the commercial version include these files?
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »27.11.08 - 20:09
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    Yes.
  • »27.11.08 - 21:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Cannot download Cubic Demo. Offensichtlich Traffic Limit ueberschritten...

Wanted to test if plugins for GoldEd 6 / AIX still are usable within Cubic, e.g. E syntax parsers...
  • »27.11.08 - 23:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
    Quote:

Dietmar wrote:

Does the commercial version include these files?

Quote:

Dietmar wrote:

yes

The purchase price for the commercial CubicIDE system is steep for a disabled retired person like me, but as soon as I have a chance to test it out and see what it has to offer a beginning programmer like me, I plan on buying the Workgroup version with two complete CD's w/licenses, but I see on your site that you are charging twice the shipping for it over the single license version. It should only cost pennies more, if anything to send two CD's instead of one CD. I don't mind paying the 9.00 euros, or even a tiny bit more for the postage, but doubling it to 18.00 euros is hard to accept. Can't you send the two CDs in a double CD case which will weigh almost exactly the same and be the same size as the single CD case version?

Is there anything you can do to correct this Dietmar?

Also, have you received any feedback from users that are running CubicIDE on an EFIKA? That is the system I will be using it on, as well as WinUAE/AmiKit, until MorphOS is available on Mac hardware with faster G4 CPU's, since there is no news of a Pegasos3, or EFIKA2 being released any time soon. I can't really justify trying to purchase a used Pegasos2 now.

Thanks in advance for any info about reducing the shipping charge for the Workgroup version of CubicIDE.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2008/11/27 16:13 ]
  • »28.11.08 - 00:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

The purchase price for the commercial CubicIDE system is steep for a disabled retired person like me, but as soon as I have a chance to test it out and see what it has to offer a beginning programmer like me,

Usually Dietmar has a promotion somewhen around christmas time when he's offering the system for a couple of days for a drastically reduced bargain price. You may look out for thatpromotion.

Quote:

Also, have you received any feedback from users that are running CubicIDE on an EFIKA?

I had some trouble installing it on the Efika. Copied the cd to an usb stick, but installation failed. The installer quits at some point. I guess no big prob, but for that particular moment I gave up and haven't tried again since my Efika is currently not set up properly and I don't have the time to do so during the next three weeks.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.11.08 - 00:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I had the same problem with the install, but it is because it defaults to unpacking the files to RAM:T I think and the EFIKA does not have sufficient RAM to hold all the files.

When I changed the target to my 10GB partition, I had no trouble and the Dempo of CubicIDE is now installed. I have not yet downloaded the C++ lha file yet, but plan to tonight.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2008/11/27 18:22 ]
  • »28.11.08 - 02:21
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    @pOS:

Sorry about the download problem. It will be available again on Monday, possibly earlier.

> plugins for GoldEd 6 / AIX still are usable

Plug-ins no, old macros mostly no, syntax parsers yes, but don't count on it to remain so. Access to source code would be best.

@amigadave:

> have you received any feedback from users that are running CubicIDE on an EFIKA?

No feedback (execept here) and have never seen an EFIKA myself. Please try out the demo. Thanks for the hint with the t: problem.

> you are charging twice the shipping for it over the single license version?

The workgroup license is intended for two persons and consists of two separate boxes which are mailed individually to two addresses, hence twice the shipping & handling cost. I'm not set up for combined shipment (no double cases and big envelopes). If I was, non-EU customers wouldn't save much because a second item in the envelope would put the weight above 250g and that doubles international priority air mail postage - nothing gained. Leaving out boxes and sending disks only would save each customer 4,50 but I refuse to send out an unpolished product for such a small gain. There is a confidentiality issue, too - the serial numbers.
  • »28.11.08 - 06:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Dietmar,

I was thinking that the Workgroup license would be for two people working at one location, so if I had a fellow programmer working with me on a project at my place of business (Efficient by Design), I would be legal, as I would have two licenses. I did not see how to enter two separate shipping addresses in the payment process at your website, but maybe I did not get that far, or I missed it. It is nice that you offer a discount to developers that get together and buy two licenses, instead of them buying single licenses separately. Maybe I will find someone to buy it with me and save some money too. I know someone that just bought a SAM440ep, maybe he will buy it with me to write some OS4 applications while I am writing applications for MorphOS2.1, or we will work together and compile the results to work on both, as well as OS3.9.

Thanks for the answers and I will let you know how the Demo version works on my EFIKA.
  • »28.11.08 - 08:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Regrettably, I can no longer offer the C++ package (compilers and SDKs) for downloading due to the current server not permitting 160MB files.

How about offering it as a torrent, or splitting it to few smaller files?
  • »28.11.08 - 10:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    I had some trouble installing it on the Efika. Copied the cd to an usb stick, but installation failed. The installer quits at some point. I guess no big prob, but for that particular moment I gave up and haven't tried again since my Efika is currently not set up properly and I don't have the time to do so during the next three weeks.

You could always create an image out of that CD and then mount the image like you would be using a real CD-drive. Sometimes that helps.
  • »28.11.08 - 13:06