Pegasos UK yesterday and I got cold feet. Are there problems with the
    Pegasos I boards that will cause incompatibilities in the future? I'm
    thinking about what happened with the A4000's with the Buster chip
    years ago.

--Aaron Diezman
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »15.06.03 - 01:49
    Senex
    While I have to leave your question to be answered by bplan and the rest of the MOS-Devteam, I wonder if you really could make anything wrong by ordering a Pegasos I - at least if you want at any time to upgrade to a G4 anyway.

In this case you'd have the same costs: the PegII/G4 is announced to cost 499 Euro, while the PegI/G3 does cost 299 Euro now and the trade-in to upgrade to PegII/G4 later will cost 200 Euro, which results to the same sum obviously.

Therefore the only additional costs this would give you would be new RAM (since the PegII is expected to use DDR-RAM) and maybe shipping costs (don't know how this will be handled).

But on the other hand this would give you the advantage of being able to start right now. Especially since no-one knows if the Peg-II will really make it to be available already in September.

It's still the official date, though, and I do not base my scepticism on any kind of insider information - just on common sense and years of experience as an Amiga user.
  • »15.06.03 - 07:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    <one click away from ordering>
    Life is hard for comsumers. We always buy trash because
    in the labs are new stuff for us. Not for release yet.
    Now we will face MRAM in a year or so. We are going the way of star(t)ship ENTERPRISE. Anyway we keep the industry going. We always want NEW TRASH:-) :-) :-D
    hgm
    ps
    Never look back with this hobby...
  • »15.06.03 - 09:22
  • Just looking around
    homer
    I was one click away from ordering a Pegasos motherboard from
    years ago

funny never had that prpblem with my A4000
    glad I dont.
    rember you have a Ibm compatible with a ppc cpu a mac. So more things are bound to go wrong look whats happend here already. You could get a New Mac with no Os and put Morphos on that . be better off we err hum same thing except they have gone thru thier bugs suppposdly.
    In summary no you have a pc welcome to the world of ibm compatiblees. Just wait though becasue Intel is saving our butt with an Hombre clone. becasue bill buck wouldnt do it as he promised.
  • »15.06.03 - 12:16
  • Just looking around
    homer
    We are going the way of star(t)ship ENTERPRISE. Anyway we keep the industry going. We always want NEW TRASH

got that right going backwards instead of forwards. the older new show.

the beter thing is its better then a pc and a so called a1 and those bozos dont know it much less that thier os is msdos 6.22 and its cheaper then mac.
  • »15.06.03 - 12:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    I thought this idiot was banished from Morphzone?

Homer: The more you talk the more foolish you make yourself look
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »15.06.03 - 17:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    "I thought this idiot was banished from Morphzone?"

The cat came back the very next day? :-)

Quote:

homer wrote:
    I was one click away from ordering a Pegasos motherboard from
    years ago

funny never had that prpblem with my A4000
    glad I dont.

rember you have a Ibm compatible with a ppc cpu a mac. So more things are bound to go wrong look whats happend here already. You could get a New Mac with no Os and put Morphos on that . be better off we err hum same thing except they have gone thru thier bugs suppposdly.
    In summary no you have a pc welcome to the world of ibm compatiblees. Just wait though becasue Intel is saving our butt with an Hombre clone. becasue bill buck wouldnt do it as he promised.

1.. Open up your A4000 and tell us if the Buster chip is soldered onto the motherboard or in a socket. :-) The first edition motherboards had a buggy buster chip soldered onto the motherboard, similar to the buggy articia. When this buggy chip was realised, they quickly resolved the problem and made a replacement buster chip and put it into a socket. I believe that machines under warranty were able to be exchanged & fixed.

First edition A4000 motherboard with buggy Super Buster chip. Note how it is surface mounted.

Buster fixed. Note how it is socketed.

2.. Mac computers. The entry level eMac costs LESS than an AmigaOne. eMac G4 entry lever now costs $1200.00 From Apple's online store. Here
    Livewire Systems Canada an AmigaOne G4 costs $1375.00 Here

The PegasosII G4 will be priced around $800 CAD$ for motherboard and G4 CPU, which is still a bit steep for my liking.

3.. You cannot say that Intel is making a hombre clone without some kind of proof. VIA are however making some interesting products related to their mini-itx series of motherboards.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »15.06.03 - 18:56
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

homer wrote:
    We are going the way of star(t)ship ENTERPRISE. Anyway we keep the industry going. We always want NEW TRASH

the beter thing is its better then a pc and a so called a1 and those bozos dont know it much less that thier os is msdos 6.22 and its cheaper then mac.

Were you :pint: Drinking :pint: when you posted these two messages? :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »15.06.03 - 19:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >PegasosII G4 will be priced around $800 CAD$ for motherboard and G4 CPU, which is still a bit steep for my liking.

You can go for a G3 PegasosII and pay less than $500 CAD (and this is with OS etc.).
    While the 200EUR (+VAT) markup isn't exactly a bargain price for just an exchanged processor on the CPU card
    (admittedly not a drop in replacement part because of different pins, voltage etc.), it is competetive with other
    3rd party G4 offerings (~$550 CAD for 1GHz cards). I guess G4 is where Genesi want to make their money from.
  • »16.06.03 - 21:38
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    Eight replies and only one answer...

So what is the verdict? Do I buy a Peg-I or not???

--Aaron Diezman
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »17.06.03 - 00:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Are there problems with the
    Pegasos I boards that will cause incompatibilities in the future?

Well, there shouldn't be, the Peg1 with the April2 is running well. Any differences in the Peg2 should be handled by the drivers.

The only real difference is between a G3 and a G4 CPU (which has nothing to do with the board of course :), and that's only that a G4 has Altivec, but AFAIK there's no Altivec code in MOS code yet.
    - Ants
  • »17.06.03 - 03:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hi Aaron
    Where are you located? If you can get to USA you can check it our live in NYC! If not, check out my website for an insightful review of Peg/MOS www.magneticsystemsnyc.com

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »17.06.03 - 05:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Spidey
  • »17.06.03 - 06:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @Spidey

$500 G4 Pegasos II
    $300 Case, HDD, Monitor, etc
    $100 VideoGame Cabinet
    $40 Top of the line Joystick controller
    ----------------------------------------

Dedicated G3 Pegasos_1 game system seperate from day to day Pegasos? Priceless.

:lol:
    Thats right, buy one of each! When I get a Pegasos II, the above is my plan! The MAME MACHINE!!! :-P I have already laid out the plans, a 100% dedicated Pegasos to MAME in a stand up arcade cabinet with a great controller and a custom user-startup ;-) Oh yeah, life is good!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »17.06.03 - 08:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    <G4 Pegasos II>
    Maybe a lot off topic, but what is the speed of the G4
    as we can purchase the Peg II around the corner??
    hgm ;-)
  • »17.06.03 - 09:06
    Senex
    Officially not decided yet. bplan tested/test different G4s between 1,0 and 1,3 GHz.
  • »17.06.03 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    Magnetic,

I read your excellent review last week. It was your review that has
    me sold on a Pegasos system. I would love to see your system
    in action, however I'm a civilian contractor on a U.S. Army base in
    the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think it is looking more and more
    like I'm going to take the plunge, especially since the CSPPC card in
    my A4000 is getting ready to die.

--Aaron Diezman
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »17.06.03 - 13:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
  • »17.06.03 - 14:22
    greenboy
    Hey Aaron,

I don't think you will regret buying a Pegasos I. As Senex said, the upgrade is there. But actually Pegasos I feels and runs great, and it has saved me from another round of resuscitating either of my two flakey Amigas with zillions of hours on them.

Actually it would be a drag to go back to them even if they ran good and didn't cost me anything, because MorphOS feels better and is going somewhere, and my Pegasos machine has more room and weighs less (nice big aluminum case), is quieter, and just feels like lightning.
  • »18.06.03 - 10:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    Thanks to everyone for your help.

I ordered a Pegasos MB from Pegasos-UK today. I'm really looking
    forward to receiving it as long as they can ship to U.S. military
    addresses (it sounds like they can).

What is the best SCSI card to get for it?

--Aaron Diezman
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »18.06.03 - 13:23
    Senex
    AFAIK one with a Symbios 810 or 825 chip currently still is the safest option.
  • »18.06.03 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Vincent_X
    "We are going the way of star(t)ship ENTERPRISE. Anyway we keep the industry going. We always want NEW TRASH

the beter thing is its better then a pc and a so called a1 and those bozos dont know it much less that thier os is msdos 6.22 and its cheaper then mac."

Damn, I just had to quote that in full... Homer's a complete trip!! That gave me a good 3 minutes of solid laughing.
  • »19.06.03 - 14:18
  • Targhan
    @Vincent_X:

I'm glad you find it humorous; I cannot understand exactly the point he is trying to make. In one paragraph he calls the pegasos trash, but turns right around saying it is better than a PC or an A1? I just don't get it.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »19.06.03 - 15:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Vincent_X:

<I just don't get it.>

- Me neither -!!!!!!!!!! But it looks like a Seinfeld - Kramer discussion. About nothing , zippo , zilt.LOL :-)
  • »19.06.03 - 18:15
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Vincent_X
    Look guys the key to understanding Homer is quite simple, I'm surprised you havn't tried it yet. Basically you take whatever Homer-san is saying and put it into Babelfish. Translate it into Japanese, then translate it back into english. Its should make perfect sense then. Here I've gone ahead an done the translation for you all:

Original:
    "We are going the way of star(t)ship ENTERPRISE. Anyway we keep the industry going. We always want NEW TRASH

the beter thing is its better then a pc and a so called a1 and those bozos dont know it much less that thier os is msdos 6.22 and its cheaper then mac."

Translation:
    " We have gone the methodological star (t) ship enterprise. We maintain the management of the ?(symbol that means home) industry in any case. We the always new rubbish can be obtained in the desired rear going to the right advance old new show due to substituting, densely. A better thing is better than the pc and, the os msdos 6.22 is cheaper and the mac. The thing generally known a1 or those bozos which are do not know that greatly less"

Actually what homer is speaking to us is very deep.

"We've all gone the way of the methodological star(t)ship enterprise."
    Its a windows world and even enterprise markets are looking to windows.

"We maintain the management of the ?(symbol that means home) industry in any case."
    By always buying new computers, we maintain the home user industry.

"We the always new rubbish can be obtained in the desired rear going to the right advance old new show due to substituting, densely."
    We densely substitue old technology as new because they cram the old stuff that is no longer used for high-end systems up our rears.

"A better thing is better than the pc and, the os msdos 6.22 is cheaper and the mac."
    The "better" technology they give us is better than our old PC but OS is like msdos 6.22, much cheaper in quality than a Mac.

"The thing generally known a1 or those bozos which are do not know that greatly less"
    Everyone here knows of the A1, the people who know greatly less about this platform are bozos.

Homer is definately a visionary.
  • »23.06.03 - 09:29