Problem after latest firmware update
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello,

Saturday i have updated my firmware with success and correctly set up the environment variables. But now at every first boot of my computer i have a message "Error while attemting to load or boot", then i press the reset button or i type reset at keyboard it reboots fine. Why do i have now this problem ? Before this update i have had it two or three times only. Is it due to hardware conflict ? Please help me.

Brumiga
  • »01.03.05 - 19:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    vovka
    well the same problem here.
    i put second hdd as slave and have to reset after each powerON...

OFW just freeze.
  • »01.03.05 - 19:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    i've successfully updated OF, but after some time the version number of OF displayed under graphics card bios disappeard. Should I update OF one more time?
  • »01.03.05 - 22:07
    gunne
    Hi

If you feel the former version works better, just go back to that.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »01.03.05 - 22:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    The only problem I have here is that the MorphOS bootlogo appears to
    be corrupted (loks like missing planes in a bitplane image) during
    boot (Voodoo3500TV AGP)
  • »02.03.05 - 00:38
  • Just looking around
    JaMiGa
    Hello,
    It's a very strange thing...
    I had the same problem than Brumiga but with the old firmware..
    Now it works fine...
  • »02.03.05 - 00:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    For me, my only problem is the same as JKD...
    Very strange.
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »02.03.05 - 07:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    everything is fine, just the dissapering version number and corrupted bootpic.
  • »02.03.05 - 08:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    Hello,

Saturday i have updated my firmware with success and correctly set up the environment variables. But now at every first boot of my computer i have a message "Error while attemting to load or boot", then i press the reset button or i type reset at keyboard it reboots fine. Why do i have now this problem ? Before this update i have had it two or three times only. Is it due to hardware conflict ? Please help me.

Brumiga

I have had this problem all along since the beginning with the Pegasos II (G4 only, with the G3 it works just fine, same motherboard, same hardware, just a different CPU card). I have a Seagate HDD and I think they may be a little slow during initializing in coold boot (or the firmware is too fast ;-)). If I reset the computer just seconds after I power it up, then the harddrive is already spinning and is ready to shoot, but I can never cold boot right away from coold start. :-( I think this is not just a Seagate problem, but also certain IBM discs and also some others.

I have addressed this problem since the very first public version of the firmware (I was a Peg2 owners from the first batch). I have e-mailed b-plan about this and I have made comments in public forums. There has been many firmware upgrades since then, but this far it doesn't seem like anyone has taken this (BIG!) problem seriously enough!

I had great hopes that this latest firmware update would change these things, but it certainly didn't! :-(

An open firmware variable like "IDE Delay" or such, where you can set a value in seconds, would probably solve the whole thing! But untill anyone takes this issue serious enough I guess you will have to manually program a delay loop (search the morpzone forums).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »03.03.05 - 23:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello all,

Yesterday, on the advices of my vendor on irc, at next cold boot with this error message i typed "ls hd" and only the slave hard disk did appear. After a reset i repeated this operation and the master disk was present with all its partitions. On irc BatteMan answered me that this firmware wants now to boot to fast for my hard disk, a Maxtor one. But in the past, with the first version of the firmware present when i received it and with the may 2004 update all was fine, my computer was not reached by this problem. Now that the problem is identified what is the workaround ? Start again the former update of may 2004 ? Or an other solution not to difficult to apply with my little knowledge ?

Brumiga
  • »04.03.05 - 09:10
    gunne
    Brumiga:

As I do not have your system here, its difficult to answer right of. As I wrote above, if you feel the former version (from may) works better, go back to that.

We think, and also many other users and costumers we spoked with do, it is benefits in using the new version, regardless you are using MorphOS or Linux or both. And thats why we decided to share it with first our costumers.

Thank You !

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »04.03.05 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Gunne,

If a workaround let me use this version i am okay to continue with it. In this case let me know about it. In the past someone spoke about editing nvram section of the open firmware and modifying it. Is it difficult or not to perform ?

Brumiga
  • »04.03.05 - 10:25
    gunne
    Brumiga:

If the only 'problem' you occur is that your first harddrive not will be recognized upon 'cold start' you can try to connect them in a different configuration. Perhaps one drive as primary master and one as secondary master.

If you cant find any solution, and you find this very disturbing, and you also know it doesn't occur with your set up and with the former version, you can choose to go back to the former version.

I do not myself have this 'problem' on any Pegasos machine, but I know that some people got it, as they told me so.

I do not recommend to edit any nvram parameters unless you know what you are doing, and have studied documentation etc..
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »04.03.05 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    For what it's worth, the way I 'solved' the not boot on cold boot was to put my SCSI card back in...the delay in initializing SCSI and scanning the bus was enough for my HDD to be recognized on every boot...cold or warm.
  • »04.03.05 - 15:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    Have the same trouble on cold boot...
    :-D But is this critical for 100% machine perfomance.
    I don't belive soo, anyone???

or you could try: (Quote) - <Gunne>If the only 'problem' you occur is that your first harddrive not will be recognized upon 'cold start' you can try to connect them in a different configuration. Perhaps one drive as primary master and one as secondary master.

XzIt oF Apathy :-o
  • »05.03.05 - 00:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I updated to the latest 1.2 OF tomorrow. Interesting, that for me the other thing happened. I have the cold boot problem since i changed my 80 GB Seagate to a 120 GB with the OF1.1. Since i updated to 1.2 the problem is solved.
  • »05.03.05 - 07:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Brumiga

If you are brave enough you could try this:

LINK TO ANOTHER THREAD

Go to the second page and look at the post from "mat"!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.03.05 - 10:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    My cold boot problem with the Barracuda IV 40GB is gone with the 1.2 firmware (most of the time).

Sometimes I still have to reset, sometimes it refuses to load the Ambient background pic and most of the time I have loud noise coming through the line-out after booting MOS (seemingly coming from the video-soundinput) that fades after a minute or so. Sometimes I get this noise (really loud) on the internal speaker after a reset, when it did not boot "correctly". It stops instantly when MOS finished loading.

I think this weird behaviour started when I had USB mouse and keyboard connected to the Peg2.

[ Edited by tarbos on 2005/3/5 21:50 ]
  • »05.03.05 - 12:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Like JKD I had the cold boot problem when I first got my Peg2. Adding a SCSI controler fixed this and again like JKD with the new update it was back.

Here is the twist though.

I've recently rearanged my USB devices a bit. I left the internal multicard reader on the front internal header. However, on the two rear ports only one is filled. There is a 4 port powered hub plugged into the top port. It's filled with my printer, a joystick, mouse, and another 4 port powered hub. With this set up not only is the cold boot problem solved, but the MOS boot screen logo comes up again too.

Simply put it may help if you leave one of your rear USB ports open. Worth a try.

Furvert
  • »15.03.05 - 13:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Lanch
    I upgraded the firmware to 1.2 and albeit it gave me a successful message it went black screen after reboot,
    i only get blank black screen since then. The monitor itself
    receive no input signal, nor i see my optical mouse light on,
    neither the keyboard. The hard disk and CD (if inserted) spin off regularly, but, i repeat, nothing appears on screen.
  • »16.03.05 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website