Cold Boot, reset button
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi guys,

2 questions:

- Every time I first boot my PegII, my IDE drive is not recognised and I get a bios boot error. I need to hard-reset the Peg and then it autoboots fine. Any idea how to fix this? I already tried to ramp-up the setenv-autoboot-timeout all the way up to 20000, didn't work.

- On top of that, my reset button on my new case is a pain to press (it's a needle hole to avoid pushing it by mistake... so I need to dig-out a sharpish pen each time: Not ideal really). Any keyboard combination (like Ctrl+Alt+Del on the PC, or the good old Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga...) on the Peg to reboot easily?

Thanks...
    JBB (frustrated at cold boot)
  • »16.06.04 - 06:25
    hooligan
    Quote:

Every time I first boot my PegII, my IDE drive is not recognised and I get a bios boot error. I need to hard-reset the Peg and then it autoboots fine. Any idea how to fix this? I already tried to ramp-up the setenv-autoboot-timeout all the way up to 20000, didn't work.

If I remember correctly you can cure this by flashing to the latest BIOS version.Quote:

- On top of that, my reset button on my new case is a pain to press (it's a needle hole to avoid pushing it by mistake... so I need to dig-out a sharpish pen each time: Not ideal really). Any keyboard combination (like Ctrl+Alt+Del on the PC, or the good old Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga...) on the Peg to reboot easily?

MorphOS supports ctrl+alt+del :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.06.04 - 06:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    You could swap power and reset buttons... At least if you need reset button often it makes sense :-D
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »16.06.04 - 06:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Spidey
    If I'm not mistaken, the CTRL-"Amiga"-"Amiga" keys also work now :-)

(the "Amiga"-keys are the "Windows"-keys next to the space-bar)

Bye,

Spidey
  • »16.06.04 - 07:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Falcon_11
    DEAD
    MB :Pegasos-II
    CPU :G4/1GHz
    OS :MOS 2.2 reg, MOS 1.4.5, Ubuntu 8.04, MACOSX Panther on MOLk
    RAM :512MB-DDR266 Apacer
    GFX :ATI-Radeon 9200 128MB
    HDD :MAXTOR-160+80GB ATA133
    TV :Pinnacle Studio PCTV

Powerbook G4 A1139, MOS3.18
  • »16.06.04 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Workaround for your 2nd prob:
    Just attach a hairneedle (or something similar) with a ribbon on the case/desk/chair/#?, then you will not have to dig for a sharp thing anymore.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.06.04 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Just noticed I broke the 500 post barrier. Since we don't have dancing bananas:

:bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons: :bloons:
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.06.04 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • mat
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mat
    Same problem here - with newer disks (200GB Maxtor) no hardware configuration changes helps. Maybe next version of OF will solve this problem. For a moment i've found that there is OF command that perform cold reboot - try reset-all (or it's alias reset) at OF prompt.

And what I think is the OF Forth script that could check the existence of ide devices and if disk/s are where they should be boot the system otherwise do a cold reboot. I'll let you know about the results.
  • »16.06.04 - 12:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Spidey wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, the CTRL-"Amiga"-"Amiga" keys also work now :-)

(the "Amiga"-keys are the "Windows"-keys next to the space-bar)

Bye,

Spidey

Yes I use ctrl, window, window all the time. It works great. Someone needs to sell MOS key covers!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »16.06.04 - 13:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    My new samsung spinpoint 120GB works like a charm. Very short spinup time, so no problems with recognizing in OF (okay.. i have latest OF version installed, so this problem maybe wouldn't show up anyway).

Now all disk accesses fly.. i didn't expected that the boot of morphos can be faster than fast. But it is. It's a really Click-Boom feeling. You click and BOOM it shows up. :-) Yesterday I booted at least 40 times just to enjoy the faster boot (no joke!). :-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »16.06.04 - 14:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    New OF didn't help.
    Moving DVD drive to second IDE channel didn't help to make it recognize the HD.
  • »16.06.04 - 14:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I can confirm that this problem shows when using Seagate Barracuda's (and also some IBM disks I have heard) on a Pegasos II with G4 (it works absolutely FINE on the same system - with the same hardware setup and all - if you only replace the CPU card to a G3). This problem was not solved in the latest firmware upgrade.

In my clueless eyes it looks like the hardware init process when coldbooting is too fast on a G4 system for these HDD's to spin up and get ready in time. In any way, it should be very easy to fix this in firmware, and I expect the problem to have disappeared in the next firmware upgrade.

EDIT: Quick solution - never coldboot! :-P Leave your computer on 24/7, crunching RC5 keys! :-P :-D
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.06.04 - 14:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    That's a great solution...if only the machine wouldn't freeze so often and the G4 were less noisy.
    At least I kind of fixed the latter issue now.
  • »16.06.04 - 15:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I think I know the error you are getting as well. I've only seen it once. I dont cold boot much, but I have seen it. I use a 60GB Maxtor5400 RPM Drive. So far its been a great drive for the system.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »16.06.04 - 17:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    I have same problem with a Seagate Barracude IV and IBM Deskstar on my Peg G4. I have a cure but since it uses a PCI slot and all my SCSI drives are dead, then I'm not too fond of it.

Adding a SCSI card increases the wait time and IDE drives are ready after the SCSI init.

Steve
  • »16.06.04 - 17:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ tarbos

Nice! :-)

I see that you too has the first version of the G4 card, with the fan power cords soldered directly on the PCB. Indeed that one was really noisy (the new ones are said to be quite silent though).

My way to fix noise issue was to replace the heatsink/fan with a passive chipset heatsink, and a big, low noise fan at really low RPM's, just to get some air flowing through the pins, since I have my CPU running at 100% 24/7. It works great! :-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1574&forum=11#11913
  • »16.06.04 - 20:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ JKD

That would only confirm my theory that this is a timing issue - the HW init during cold boot is too fast (on a G4). A solution would perhaps be to change the order in which the hardware gets initialized, or/and add some "dead weight" loop to delay things a second or two at some point if a G4 is detected? Anyway, this should not be too difficult to fix in firmware, should it?
  • »16.06.04 - 20:40
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi guys,

4 Hooligan: Are you sure Ctrl+Alt+Del works? doesn't on mine.

4 Spidey: Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga (well, Windows keys) works indeed, thx! But only once booted in Morphos. This key combination doesn't seem to be detected while still in the Firmware Bios stage.

4 Falcon11: My HDD and CD are indeed on the same IDE channel, I'll try on a different one Tomorrow (borrowing a cable at work), just in case. I am using an UDMA66 cable, rather than 100... could it be that?

4 mat: reset-all (or reset) makes my keyboard flash, but nothig happens and then it seems all frozen.

Thanks for your help all!
    JBB (PegII G3)
  • »16.06.04 - 23:01
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    brotheris
    Quote:

I am using an UDMA66 cable, rather than 100

Use good quality 80 pin ones. 40pin ones are not reliable with high speeds.

(maybe a typo, because I thought 40pin are udma33 and 80 pin allow faster speeds).
    Home sweet home is Pegasos User Group Lithuania
  • »17.06.04 - 00:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    4 hooligan: Just flashed the bios with latest version (050404). It doesn't seem to have changed a thing unfortunately...

Last thing guys: Does your case's Power switch works to switch OFF your pegasos? (mine only switches ON the unit... Cannot switch off without physically unplugging power, even after clicking Shutdown in the menu - which seems not supported yet anyway) Hmmm.
  • »17.06.04 - 00:40
    Golem
    You need to hold it pressed for a few seconds, it's a feature of ATX power supplies.
  • »17.06.04 - 01:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    @JBB

You have to hold the power button in for a few seconds to turn the computer off.

The software shutdown will be supported in MOS 1.5.

--Aaron
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »17.06.04 - 01:32
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thanks Golem & aaron!

It works indeed.
    You really have to hold down the button for a while... I did try a couple of seconds but it obviously wasn't enough!

Regards,
    JBB
  • »17.06.04 - 08:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Falcon_11
    DEAD
    MB :Pegasos-II
    CPU :G4/1GHz
    OS :MOS 2.2 reg, MOS 1.4.5, Ubuntu 8.04, MACOSX Panther on MOLk
    RAM :512MB-DDR266 Apacer
    GFX :ATI-Radeon 9200 128MB
    HDD :MAXTOR-160+80GB ATA133
    TV :Pinnacle Studio PCTV

Powerbook G4 A1139, MOS3.18
  • »17.06.04 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    Hi!
    I have the same problem with not recongnized hds in the
    firmware, but only when I shutdown my linux...
    No problems with MOS...
    But anyway you don't have to reset when OF hangs:
    just only enter "boot" and it should work then....
    (here my hd makes a hearable "knack", after that it's ready)
    I hope I didn't miss the topic...
    bye
    frostwork
  • »17.06.04 - 12:50