@bbrv, @morphos.net "team", @R.Schmidt...
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    To bbrv,
    To the people behind the morphos.net site of today (this includes David & Stephan),
    To Ralph Schmidt:

Don't you think it's high time to communicate ?

Morphos.net team is threatening Genesi by putting important statement on their website...
    Genesi responds by using a new domain name as "official" MorphOS site,...

That's fine but you *all* seem to forget one thing: the COMMUNITY.

I think WE deserve a QUICK clarification.

Leo.

PS: "morphos.net team" refers to the people that are listed in morphos.net list and that *approve* this statement.

PS2: please let MorphOS "representatives" or Genesi representatives answer only... Other threads are opened to comment on the situation.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/11/17 12:10 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »17.11.04 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Leo, we are communicating -- some say too much! :-)

Simple version: we had a Company that was generating revenue and a reason to develop MorphOS and the Pegasos. Unrelated to the issues here that Company was closed. Unfortunately, this impacted us financially (personally) and we were unable to fund MorphOS and the Pegasos as we had before (which for the most part we still did ourselves through the old Company). The only thing we could do to save the situation was stop paying nearly everyone we had and make as many machines as we could afford to build. We (us, Thomas, Gerald) also went in debt up to our eyeballs. The only way to survive was to sell what we could build for less, which we did. SALES of the Pegasos and ODW were the key. Now we have sold more Pegasos machines. This allows us to set the record straight and move ahead. Until this happened there was not much else we could do.

David became impatient and he lost his confidence in us and the situation. He did what he did and made the statement he has. That is what he thinks. He did it about a week too soon. Too bad for him. Too bad for us. He owns the domain. We used the domain because that was where the old site was.

There is nothing else to say that has not been said here already. Have a great day! We have to get back to work.

R&B
  • »17.11.04 - 14:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixK
    Which Guarantees have you offered to David he will see his money back a Day ?

We all know and will never forget what happened to people who were working at The Travel Security Agency, Pretory France (or thendic I don't remember)...
    I doubt you are clean in this history as I could see it in a TV report. (You don't have to justify here)

Facts are you suffer from a problem of confidence. Even if you are in your rights.

Please don't tell People works without us asking anything, it seem's you had implicit agreement with those people. Even if no one have signed any contracts. In france working without a contract is possible, in this case, you are considered as an undetermined time worker. Works that as been made by David on is own or not have arranged you.
    In regards of this work, it's normal to reward him.

If you don't have money to pay people for the moment, Offer juridically acceptable Garantees to them and I think all your problems will fly away.

I personnaly never had any confidence in you and won't have before long time (this doesn't mean I don't have a certain respect for you), prove me I'm wrong this time

SixK
  • »17.11.04 - 15:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    "07-23-2004
    Official MorphOS Team Announcement

From now on, any statements about MorphOS are only official and valid when they are made by official representatives of the MorphOS Team, and signed as such.

Official MorphOS representatives are:

Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak and David Gerber."

You are communicating. David is making statements... But who's telling the truth ?

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/11/17 17:26 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »17.11.04 - 18:26
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Leo, you missed the point. David feels that he is owed the amount he indicates. We have spoken with Stefan and understand his perspective too. All this we have discussed with Ralph. As of this moment, we are confident we can solve the problems with Stefan and we are not sure with David.

We can't be more truthful than that.

R&B
  • »17.11.04 - 18:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Personally I think that this must be solved...
  • »17.11.04 - 18:46
  • Just looking around
    Lando
    The thing is, the best chance those guys listed on morphos.net have for getting their money is that Pegasos is a success and sells in sufficient numbers to bring in the money needed to pay them.

Releasing a new version of MorphOS with the updates (TCP/IP, Radeon 3D, Ambient improvements, better printing support and so on) that people are waiting for would have helped sales and brought in more money.

By doing what they've done they've destroyed consumer confidence and harmed potential sales greatly, thus impacting the best chance they had of getting what they're owed.
  • »17.11.04 - 19:09
    Profile Visit Website
    Sorry to say, but MorphOS is not the main reason of the Pegasos being selled, it's linux...
  • »17.11.04 - 19:19
    serge
    Quote:

timofonic wrote:
    Sorry to say, but MorphOS is not the main reason of the Pegasos being selled, it's linux...

You are write.
    The main reason of the pegasos being selled today is linux, but was morphos for the first selles.
    Without morphos >> no Amiga community around pegasos >> no pegasos 1 debuged and betatested to make a good pegasos 2 >> and if peg II not exists, nobody would work under linux with the peg 1 articiated .
    So are morphos and amiga community the bombs used to create the PEGASOS II wich is used now by a lot of linux users.
  • »17.11.04 - 19:38
  • dan
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dan
    Quote:

timofonic wrote:

I don´t think one or the other of those markets outweight the other. except for the freescale ODWs that is. ;-)
  • »17.11.04 - 21:47
  • T1k
  • Just looking around
    T1k
    Quote:

Lando wrote:
    The thing is, the best chance those guys listed on morphos.net have for getting their money is that Pegasos is a success and sells in sufficient numbers to bring in the money needed to pay them.

Releasing a new version of MorphOS with the updates (TCP/IP, Radeon 3D, Ambient improvements, better printing support and so on) that people are waiting for would have helped sales and brought in more money.

By doing what they've done they've destroyed consumer confidence and harmed potential sales greatly, thus impacting the best chance they had of getting what they're owed.

Valid point. Somehow it feels like they are sawing off the branch they are sitting on.
    Mind - Universe - Mind - Universe
  • »17.11.04 - 23:46
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    @Lando

Very good post.

I still wait for official comment from Ralph though..I mean the morphos.net thing does a lot of talking about 'our' but no real indication if it's really supported by the MOS team (which I highly doubt) or just a very vocal minority (maybe even one.)
  • »18.11.04 - 00:54
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Maurix
    well linux is nice but do i really need a PPC to play around ?? i work with linux for 10 years now on a stupid AMD machine,,,so why ? Pegasos for Linux ??...
    what about all the OS..promissed by Genesis ?

Pegasos with Linux & :-)Morphos:-) & MOL is the Solution for now...

[ Edited by Maurix on 2004/11/21 12:30 ]
  • »21.11.04 - 11:29
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

JKD wrote:

I still wait for official comment from Ralph though..I mean the morphos.net thing does a lot of talking about 'our' but no real indication if it's really supported by the MOS team (which I highly doubt) or just a very vocal minority (maybe even one.)

You want an official comment from him ?

Here is what he told me on IRC yesterday: "you want information ? Go watching CNN."

=> If an official comment is ever made, it won't be made by Ralph.

Let's hope not all members are thinking this way...

Leo.
  • »21.11.04 - 12:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    So from reading lots of threads this is the situation sketch:

1) Genesi has Pretory/Thendic-France to generate influx of money, but then Pretory/Thendic-France appears to be funding terrorists and it is no longer possible to do business with them.
    2) Because of that there is no money generated to pay non employees so funds must be raised.
    3) A choise is made to only keep the relevant parts of the business operational to prevent going bankrupt, all external things are on hold.
    4) Several deals fall off, but a deal is finally made with Freescale for linux boxes. Like happens often in business, this requires investment (to produce machines) but payment by Freescale is not prompt. To make the machines some money is used, a choise is made not to pay external developers.
    5) Genesi is waiting for Freescale money to generate more influx of money and to pay off developers.
    6) External workers are waiting on their money, things are promised but for strategic decisions (survival of the company) this is not paid yet.
    7) Those external workers are unhappy about the situation and want their money, they have a family to support as well and bills to pay. They have not shown CVS logs about their work though, so it is hard for Genesi to see what they have done. Also Genesi had been in survival mode, and deemed this to be a lower priority.
    8) Some comments are thrown in both directions, of course this is not a good thing. I do not believe both parties want this, so a sense of calmth would be best so the parties can still negotiate.

Resolve would be that as soon as Freescale pays Genesi, the developers of MoS show their CVS log to Genesi, get paid in part and deliver binaries, get paid in full and deliver sources as well. Both sides should drop their claims once this is done and continue working on their projects professionally and forget what has happened and make clear appointments on how things like this will go in the future, and hopefully the interest in MOS 1.5 will attract more users.

Note I am in no way affiliated with any of these people, but I read so many different threads I think it would be useful for others to have a summary. Note that most of my summary is one of statements by BBRV, I did not see many (any?) posts by the developers of MoS but tried to read between the lines.

Hope it gets resolved professionally by both parties (forget any grudges and make clear appointments), because I want a nice Pegasos 3 with a dual core freescale processor, MoS 1.5 and MUI/Ambient, not some OS4.0 thing.

[ Edited by azalin on 2004/11/21 13:24 ]
  • »21.11.04 - 12:22
    bbrv
    @azazlin -- That was a good attempt, but for the sake of accuracy we will now edit your post as appropriate:

So from reading lots of threads this is the situation sketch:

1) bplan had Pretory and Thendic-France (100% subsidiary of Pretory) to generate revenue through development contracts. Thendic-France was a customer of bplan and had an agreement to preform as the worldwide sales and marketing organization for the Pegasos. Thendic-France bought and resold Pegasos machines. Then, it is discovered by bbrv that Pretory appears through a sub-contractor to be funding illegal activity and potentially even terrorists. bbrv report their suspicions to the FBI and the French Police. bbrv take back over Pretory as they controlled the Board of Directors (this took time) and clean it. Unfortunately, the decision was still made by the French Government to close the Company. bbrv cooperated with the proper authorities as required. bbrv had started Pretory in 1997 after they left VisCorp and had funded it through Pretory USA since inception. They were two of the three founders of the Company. The plan was to have Genesi purchase all the assets of Thendic-France to compensate Pretory for the investment made in Thendic-France, but this became impossible because Thendic-France was also forced to close because it was part of Pretory.

2) After Pretory and Thendic-France there was little money generated to pay non-employees -- only the sale of Pegasos machines generated revenue and this was not even enough to fund the production of the Pegasos which must still be financed by bbrv. So where could funds be raised? From what entity? bplan? Genesi Sarl? Genesi-USA? bbrv were spending their personal money.

3) A choice was made to only keep the relevant parts of the business operational to prevent the whole effort from going bankrupt. Almost all external things are on hold (many people external to Genesi were still paid to do things or for things that had been done: Andre Siegel (now considered an insider), Martin Bloom, David Gerber, Jacek Piszczek, Andreas Magerl, Christian Kemp, OSNews, PPCNUX, Felix Schwarz, Treveur Bretaudiere, David Holm, Gunne Steen, etc.)

4) (No deals fell off -- this was before) A sale is finally made to one of the PowerPC producers. Their focus was on Linux. As expected in business, this requires investment (to produce machines) and payment comes 60-90 days AFTER delivery of the complete systems which also have to be assembled and financed. To make the machines (hard drive, memory, cases, PS, graphics cards, shipping testing, etc.) most of the money is used. There is not much money to pay external developers.

5) As of late last week, Genesi has been paid for 98% of all machines delivered. It took longer than expected because the customer made a small error in their accounting system. They took two weeks longer than expected on one payment and a few days on another.

6) External workers are waiting on their money. bbrv have made it clear since January 2004 that there may not be more money and that they would do the best they could. This was the only "promise" that they would do their best to pay any amounts owed -- even debts from Thendic-France -- but this depends on the survival of the company. bbrv continue to finance bplan and the team still working. The required amounts are STILL in excess of the profits made from the sale of machines.

7) Some external workers are unhappy about the situation and want money. "They have a family to support as well and bills to pay" (Which ones are those that have families to support? Most of the developers in question live with their parents, nevertheless, they still need to earn a living which is why we suggested everyone go find work in January 2004.). They have not shown CVS logs about their work though, so it is hard for Genesi to see what they have done. Also Genesi had been in survival mode, and deemed this to be a lower priority.

8) Comments were thrown first from ONE developer and then this created a need to respond. Of course this is not a good thing. I do not believe both parties want this, so a sense of calm would be best so the parties can still negotiate. We tried the first day afterwards and have terms with Stefan, but will not do anything until a 1.5 release date is set.

Resolve would be that as soon as Genesi has resources, that developers of MorphOS show their CVS log to Genesi, get paid in part and deliver binaries, get paid in full and deliver sources as well. Both sides should drop their claims once this is done and continue working on their projects professionally and forget what has happened and make clear appointments on how things like this will go in the future, and hopefully the interest in MOS 1.5 will attract more users. That sounds good, but Genesi will not pay for months of idleness. Genesi will only pay for results. There were no contracts and we have seen no proof that any work was done. Certainly, something was done from people like Jacek, Harry, Grzegorz, Michal and others. So we ask and have some reports. We want more and we want to set a release date for 1.5.

Note I am in no way affiliated with any of these people, but I read so many different threads I think it would be useful for others to have a summary. Note that most of my summary is one of statements by BBRV, I did not see many (any?) posts by the developers of MorphOS but tried to read between the lines. It was a good attempt. Nothing we are posting is without the complete knowledge of Ralph. He is trying to sort out a solution. We hope he finds one.

Hope it gets resolved professionally by both parties (forget any grudges and make clear appointments), because I want a nice Pegasos 3 with a dual core processor, MorphOS 1.5 and MUI/Ambient, not some other thing.

We do too!

[Edited azalin's post by bbrv]

[ Edited by bbrv on 2004/11/21 15:10 ]
  • »21.11.04 - 13:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TreeBeard
    Quote:

-- only the sale of Pegasos machines generated revenue and this was not even enough to fund the production of the Pegasos which must still be financed by bbrv.

:-o
    Micro AmigaOne and second hand Pegasos2
  • »21.11.04 - 14:17
  • Just looking around
    MorphUser_CH
    Dear bbrv

I'm only a morphos user, not a developer. But I really understand your situation and I'm on your side. Since over than one year you did not see any CVS of the MOS 1.5 release.

I hope that all developers will learn to live with this situation. You only get paid if you worked. In the whole world it's going on like this. You work and then you'll get paid.

I hope that Ralph will find a solution that every developer can accept. I think the whole situation now will bring us MOS 1.5 in the next weeks; I hope so!

bbrv: You made a good job since your start, respect. And respect to all the developers!

@ Core developers: Open up your CVS to Genesi!!

1. Then you'll get paid!!!
    2. Then MOS 1.5 can be released!

@ bbrv and all other user:
    I'm sorry for my worst (bad) english, but I'm a swiss people! I hope everybody did understand me!

Kindly regards

A BIG MOS fan!

[ Edited by MorphUser_CH on 2004/11/21 15:22 ]

[ Edited by MorphUser_CH on 2004/11/21 15:23 ]
  • »21.11.04 - 14:18
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Now it makes sense. :-)
    - Ronald
  • »21.11.04 - 15:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    @bbrv

Thanks for clearing this up! :) In retrospect BBRV has been good to me. :)
    :-D
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »21.11.04 - 16:28
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

Then, it is discovered by bbrv that Pretory appears through a sub-contractor to be funding illegal activity and potentially even terrorists. bbrv report their suspicions to the FBI and the French Police.

What is the outcome of this?

(And what are those incredible daft militant smilies doing here anyways?)
    -- kolla
  • »21.11.04 - 17:03
    serge
    Things where very secret and complecated for us "users". Its was your
    fault, money and chance fault.
    Thank you to do your best and moving this story more clear in the
    futur.

What would happend if David Gerber did nothing ?

Just whish a long life to Pegasos and Mhorphos.
    Back for the futur ;-)

[ Edited by serge on 2004/11/21 18:17 ]
  • »21.11.04 - 17:09
  • dan
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dan
    Quote:

kolla wrote:
    [(And what are those incredible daft militant smilies doing here anyways?)

Train for the Lego-war? They didn´t had enough place for them in Legoland. :-P
  • »21.11.04 - 17:49
  • Targhan
    The military smilies, in desert uniform no less, were here for the election. They stayed because I was working on a few other things. Plain old, ordinary, and yellow smilies are back. Sorry for the disruption.

If you are still seeing military smilies, you may need to "refresh images' or clear the cache.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »21.11.04 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    Quote:

If you are still seeing military smilies, you may need to "refresh images' or clear the cache.

Yes sir, thank you, sir. May I have another, sir? :)

I truly hate emoicons.
  • »21.11.04 - 19:17
    Profile Visit Website