HOLA! (also know as WATTS HAPPENING!!!)
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Whoa!, it is VERTIGO !!! Hold on! Hear that? (U2) See that? (music video) If not, do it. You are watching history. You are watching the evolution of the iPod. It was now photos on your iPod this past week. Now, you have Apple (Jobs) + U2 (Bono) = you'll be seeing that video on your iPod and many others soon enough. Note, the extension of the advertisement into the video. ;-)

Oh, and the iPod will be a video phone too and use the mobile internet as a backend (international video calling all for an iPod and a broadband wireless connection! Get the LINGO? ). Hiphop was about baggy pants, chains and baseball hats worn sideways (and how much money the music industry could pump out of the self-absorbed "talent"). Music is a cultural motivator and this is about iPod sales and music (read: DIGITAL) distribution. Get it?! My entertainment where I want and when I want and hey, HOLA (!), how are you - you are looking good! "All of this, all of this, all of this can be yours....give me something I can feel!"

We have that feeling of spinning round and being unable to balance, caused by looking down from a height. Way up here! HOLA! If we don't look down, can any one see what we are seeing?

Apple has the iPod. They have a G4 based laptop THAT IS STILL SELLING IN VOLUME but headed to phase out (is it?) and a G5 that is DOA for the mobility market. Whoops! 64-bit isn't here soon enough! Too much "POWER" and too much HEAT. (Hello, hello, it is NOT just the server!)

There is a future for MorphOS!

Can you hear the music?!

"...all of this can be yours, all of this can be yours, all of this can be yours, just give me what I want...."

Dizzy yet?! We will post some important news soon. :-o

HOLA!

R&B :-)
  • »30.10.04 - 14:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    The important word here is "mobile".

We need to have MOS running on a Mobile device... (that includes mostly Laptops)

I hope you give us more news soon! :-)

A MOS update would be wellcome. There's no much sense in waiting the release of OS4... many MOS users bought the machine because it was available and they were tired of waiting. An update with altivec, deficons, 3d drivers, fixed printing and tcp/ip would raise the morale of most of users.
  • »30.10.04 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Seems there is a shortage on valium again.....
  • »30.10.04 - 14:40
    And WATTS MORPHING? :-)
  • »30.10.04 - 18:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    BBRV

That business model sounds ALOT like what we were talking about / doing a year ago!

(And you two have been trying to do for what 8 + years?)

Man, I wish ATARI would wake up and see WATTS HAPPENING! A handheld MOS device with Atari branding.... W00T!

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2004/10/30 14:00 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »30.10.04 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
    @magnetic

About atari, its OK but seems a bit contradictory, MOS is amiga like...

I dont worry if has the atari name...but some amigans will not like it...

Please read my PM message.
  • »30.10.04 - 19:41
    bbrv
    How about just iPeg?

R&B :-P
  • »30.10.04 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I'll call mine the Pegasos-M.
    I don't care what you others call it.... :-P

Consider this a pre-order. ;-)
    Pegasos of course..
    ..the computer I always wanted.
  • »30.10.04 - 22:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    BBRV

No, I guess te mp3 harddisk mobile device market has left off already.
    The next big consumer thing is VoIP. This is still in the beginning,
    but I am sure it will be one of the big movements of the coming next
    both years. Still it's geeky, in 2 years it will be wide spread. jump
    onto a train as long as it is still at the staion not when it is
    running like an ICE3 between Frankfurt and Cologne with 300 km/h
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.10.04 - 23:50
    Profile Visit Website
    Actually people like things all-in-one instead specialiced products, hear music, phone, pda, game console.. all-in-one. The PowerPC fits in this, because his nature (in motorola (now freescale) form) is low powerer consuming and efficiency. By example, I (and a lot of people) niot like wear a phone, a thing for hear music, a pda... ipod is good selled because does good his job, its "linked" withth apple musicservice (becaset eh pele buy th music they likeinstead all the disc) and most of multi purpose are inefficient in some of their features, but if doing a efficient multi-purpose handheld device, it will hit the market. Why have a lot of things if with one you can do all equally or better? People have a phone that can do photos, isnt the best ones but is cheaper that phone + camera, if people can have a lot of things at low prices, better than other multi purpose devices, they will like it. I would love a PDA+phone+ipod+game console+photo camera+... if is well maked and economic.
  • »31.10.04 - 00:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Henri
    BTW: Here's the direct-link, for those of You,
    who don't want to search it in the HTML/
    JavaScript-source-code (and don't have QT).

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/ipod-vertigo/ipod-vertigo_m480.mov

The video is playable with MPlayer under MorphOS :o).

Regards
  • »31.10.04 - 12:07
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    What about the Eclipsis ?

Maybe it's finally time to make this concept a reality ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »31.10.04 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    ...maybe.

TiVoToGo anyone?! (thanks for that one Matt ;-) )

Seriously, the $64,000,000 (and probably more) question is: where does the "walkman of the 21st Century" go next?

music +++ ???

Jobs says not video - this would make the iPod more than "pocket-size" and "too big, too heavy, with no video content, and a screen too small, for too much engineering..." (we do not believe him!)

So, we get digital photos. So what, we say. Cell phones can do it. We take photos and videos. Anyway, he did say some interesting things about the music industry and Record Executives (like "when was the last time we made records" -- good one Steve! :-) ) and the "digital box set" is a very cool idea. U2 will be the first for this and the namesake for the first special edition iPod. Good stuff. We better get Ralph one with the whole U2 set for Christmas.

We think the comment for Bono about music/art itself was the most accurate view of what is to come: essentially "music" has changed based on the way that it is experienced and this experience has changed based on technology. That friends is the opportunity. Can we come up with something people want that is really unique?

We will see!

You can watch the Apple Special Presentation HERE

• »31.10.04 - 16:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    We need a portable Peggy bbrv.. thats what we need.. and we need MorphOS Team etc to wake up and give the community more info about whats happening.

I dont like Linux at all, I dont care about Linux. I care about MorphOS, since that whats going to be good, cool and butturflyish :D

Bring out a tcp/ip patch for mos atleast.. thats all I am begging for..

Regards,
    Michal
  • »31.10.04 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    niteman1969
    Here Here, from a brand new Pegasos and MOS User.

Some things have to be in an operating system
    nowadays and tcp/ip should be a pre-requisite.

I for one was quite dissapointed to find no
    tcp/ip stack when it is clearly advertised on
    the pegasos website.

Until it is included in Morphos it is blatant False Advertising.

They could be caught out by disgruntled newbies telling trading standards that they
    are advertising something that doesn't exist.

It could also be argued that anyone who bought a pegasos on the strength of the
    advertising of morphos features could
    be perfectly with in their rights to send the machine back for a full refund.

Also I bought the superbundle along with my
    peg only to fing I had to install amiga installer
    to install the superbundle.??? Huh??

What if i hadnt had my pc .... i would have been quite literally stuffed.

Well thats enough of my little rant - to be quite
    honest now that the machine is up and running
    and ive downloaded all the things i need to
    complete the OS i wouldnt be without it.

But at a certain point last week I couldn't
    get morphos Installed because of the dodgy
    md5sum checking problem, and couldn't get
    any version of linux to install (still havent).

At that time i was getting to the point of wanting to send it back to my supplier and
    requesting a microA1.

Why you say????

I recently saw an a1 being set up from an OS4
    cd and it all went through like a breeze and had tcp/ip running out of the box after a 5min
    install.

Now I know the quirks of the morphos install
    routine and stuff that i need to add to it I am happy.

At the time i was wanting to get a sledgehammer to the box.............

Regards

Niteman1969

[ Edited by niteman1969 on 2004/10/31 19:11 ]

[ Edited by niteman1969 on 2004/10/31 19:17 ]
    Pegasos II / G4 1Ghz / 512mb PC3200 Ram / Radeon 7000 64mb Agp/ 160gb SeagateHD / Toshiba 1512 Dvd Rom / Aria Case

MorphOS 1.4.2 / Debian Sarge Linux Soon
    got 14 cd iso files to download = 9gb ........lol
  • »31.10.04 - 20:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    niteman1969
    By The Way

MANY MANY thanks to the guys on the #morphos irc channel helping me out to get
    MOS installed especially Tokai...

I am now Very Happy with my PegasosII
    and now only have to work out how to install
    Genesis TCP/IP stack from my old OS 3.9 cd

Regards

Niteman1969
    Pegasos II / G4 1Ghz / 512mb PC3200 Ram / Radeon 7000 64mb Agp/ 160gb SeagateHD / Toshiba 1512 Dvd Rom / Aria Case

MorphOS 1.4.2 / Debian Sarge Linux Soon
    got 14 cd iso files to download = 9gb ........lol
  • »31.10.04 - 20:22
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Jobs was right about the video part (portable video are a failure even with the new push it will fail). Portable TVs never caught on. The screen is too small to enjoy. I remember those from Casio.

Jobs was right about computers in living rooms (media centers are a failure).

TiVO solved a consumer media need (a friendly VHS recorder with no need to replace the tapes). The iPod solved a consumer media need (take music on computer to go and made the experience easy). Which consumer media need does the Pegasus/MorphOS solve?
    - Ronald
  • »31.10.04 - 23:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

niteman1969 wrote:
    By The Way

MANY MANY thanks to the guys on the #morphos irc channel helping me out to get
    MOS installed especially Tokai...

I am now Very Happy with my PegasosII
    and now only have to work out how to install
    Genesis TCP/IP stack from my old OS 3.9 cd

Regards

Niteman1969

Hi. Welcome to Morphzone! :-)

Since you seem to be a bit of a beginner (I may be wrong), perhaps you should consider Miami instead. That one is really easy to install, set up (thanks to it's "guide"/"wizard"), and use. It also has a working DHCP which simplifies things if you don't have a static IP or a router. You will find a very easy step-by-step instruction here:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1906&forum=9

I am running Genesis myself, but that is a little bit harder to install (no step-by-step instructions) and a lot more difficult to set up, and I have not got the DHCP to work (even though I have tried some instructions and an archive on aminet that's said to take care of this, but I didn't get it to work right away, and I don't need it anyway so I just dropped my attempts).

As I said, I don't think there is an easy step-by-step guide for installing and configuring Genesis, but you might find some info if you search this site a bit. This is a snippet I found, written by myself (note that these are not instructions at all, but perhaps a few clues?):

"I experimented a little bit before I got it working, but in the end I didn't even run any install scripts. If I recall correctly I just downloaded the MUI demo version from aminet, extracted that to RAM:, entered the Genesis folder and copied the Genesis folder inside to the place I wanted it "installed". I then copied the key.library (I don't remember its exact name right now, was it keymaster.library or such?) from the OS3.9 CD to the libs folder inside the newly "installed" Genesis folder. From running snoopdos I figured out that I needed to copy two MUI mcc files from the extracted Genesis folder in RAM (I think there is a folder there like MUI/libs/MUI/libs/ or something like that), I copied the two missing files to my newly "installed" Genesis/MUI folder. And then it worked! (I didn't copy the modem related files, since I don't use modem)"

Snoopdos is very good to have at hand. No, correction: It's *essential*!

When it's up and running error-free, you will have to configure the network inside the Genesis preferences. Since I already had it installed, I used MiamiDX in the setup process to query the MAC address of my Peg, and also to see what IP address I got from the DHCP server (I have a "semi-static IP" = it changes very rarely, so I don't really need a router) and other info.

This worked for me (if I remember correctly, it was a LOOONG time ago ;-)): Start up Genesis prefs and create a new interface. Name it (eth0 for instance), fill in your IP and set it to static, fill in your Gateway and set it to static, fill in the netmask, MTU: 1500, and in "Params:" you type "ADDR=" followed by your MAC address (in the format ADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00). In the SANA-II tab you enter the path to the network interface device (for instance dh0:morphos/devs/networks/via_rhinepci.device) and ENV:Sana2/via_rhinepci0.config in config file, delete everything in the modem tab, and then enter all the IP's to your domain name servers in the resolv tab. Hmm, I probably forgot something, so you'll probably have to experiment a bit on your own.

OK, that was a long off-topic post, but I thought that since I was already going to dedicate a post here anyway to ask you *to start a new thread* for these kind of *off-topic* discussions, I thought I could at least fill it with something useful. ;-)

But please, if you have any follow up questions or such, move them to a new thread! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.11.04 - 09:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    BBRV

No, I guess te mp3 harddisk mobile device market has left off already.
    The next big consumer thing is VoIP. This is still in the beginning,
    but I am sure it will be one of the big movements of the coming next
    both years. Still it's geeky, in 2 years it will be wide spread. jump
    onto a train as long as it is still at the staion not when it is
    running like an ICE3 between Frankfurt and Cologne with 300 km/h

There is rarely such a thing as "the train has already left"; it's often only a matter of adapting to the situation. Entering a market *after* the pioneers is often a very good idea, provided you identified some gap with enough potential in between the competitors that you could fill, and that you carefully adapt your marketing mix and positioning accordingly. You could then surf on the momentum waves the others worked so hard to create, almost for free (the attention among consumers is already awake, you can avoid stepping on the land mines the competitors stepped on, etc, etc)! ;-)

Being first is often quite difficult and expensive with high risc. Making money is the important thing. However, this device(?) that BBRV so "woolly" talks about also seems to be a bit of a pioneer in a "niche" in this market, something new and innovative to fill a gap that the others have missed. It also seems to bee a lot more than "just" a mp3 player with video capabilities, I don't know ...
  • »01.11.04 - 10:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ BBRV

Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    Dizzy yet?! We will post some important news soon. :-o

HOLA!

Well, now you have everyones attention! How about posting those important news? ;-)

1. Are you talking about a new HW device from Genesi, something "Eclipsis" alike perhaps? What you have "described" (perhaps a too strong word) sounds a bit like what I read about regarding the ambitions for the "Eclipsis" on the net and in the issue #0 of the amiga.org magazine (as well as the eclipsis site that now is off line). I could think of *a lot* of products one could make from such a reference design. :-)

2. Is this only a wet dream at this point (whatever it is), or is it something more tangible? Design stadium? Prototype stadium? Or "pre-production", close to be finished :-o ?
  • »01.11.04 - 10:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    I'm not convinced video will be a big thing, well unless it's displayed on a really big TV... :-P

I think it'll be a feature but just one of many rather than the "killer app".

This seems to be saying something similar:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/01/radio_killed_videostar/

As for what's the next big thing, good question. I don't think anyone can really tell before hand, figure out what should sell and try it...

It'll need to do a lot of things but should really concentrate on doing a small number of specific things very well.

It's certainly becoming possible to build something really potent with all the hardware and software components becoming available these days.

Portable Psylent anyone?
  • »01.11.04 - 22:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Even Microsoft is coming to the conclusion that the multi purpose computer is not the bright light of the future but several specialized devices. That said Andrew Herbert, manger of Microsoft's Cambridge research center.
    Ppl would be fed up to must learn how to use a device but are waiting for naturally usable devices.
    The iPod might be a good example, many ppl are praising its ease of use, I personally never saw that as that big advantage (but this might be due to the fact that I *love* technical stuff). I have a simple agenda for mass market devices: When my mom can handle it instantly then it must be right

Disclaimer: my mom is a really clever person I respect most, but she was never too much into computers ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.11.04 - 09:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

The iPod might be a good example, many ppl are praising its ease of use, I personally never saw that as that big advantage (but this might be due to the fact that I *love* technical stuff). I have a simple agenda for mass market devices: When my mom can handle it instantly then it must be right

I agree, the interface is rapidly becoming the most important factor and it's the one thing many companies have a *lot* of difficulty getting right. Interface design is an art of it's own and requires a lot of thought and time (as I recently found out here).

--

One interesting thing about the iPod is the approach Apple took to doing it. They are famed for doign things themselves but neither the hardware or OS are by Apple. Apple just took a reference design, licensed a small OS and customised it - under Steve Jobs direct instruction.

That's probably the route I'd take if given the choice, Freescale have some nice reference platforms for exactly this sort of thing and plenty of OSs to pick from.
  • »02.11.04 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Quote:

Since you seem to be a bit of a beginner (I may be wrong), perhaps you should consider Miami instead.

As long as you don't mind being restricted to 30 mins at a time.
    (Legal copies of Miami are no longer available, AFAIK)
    --
    Robert.
  • »02.11.04 - 15:56
    Profile Visit Website