SNDF Europe
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    We would like to invite all interested PowerPC Developers to Smart Networks Developer Forum in Frankfurt on 30 September. You can attend the Tech Show in the morning and attend Workshops. In the afternoon we will have some special PegasosPPC oriented presentations, including a series of workshops on AltiVec. Lunch is included and developers who have been pre-approved and attend will be given an Open Desktop Workstation compliments of Freescale and Genesi. :-) In exchange, developers are ask to file a monthly report on what they are doing with the machine - only basic guidelines for development will be given.

Please contact us if you are interested in developing for the platform and attending PegasosPPC Day at SNDF Europe.

Raquel and Bill  
    bbrv@genesi.lu
  • »22.08.04 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Wow thats awsome! A free ODW machine for developers???! I sure wish I could take advantage of a show like that. Great work bbrv! If the money situation can cover something like that, its a great way to get the machines into the hands of developers so long as they dont just sit after they return to their normal lives.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »22.08.04 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    This is nice to hear, and good luck on the SNDF! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.08.04 - 15:52
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

its a great way to get the machines into the hands of developers so long as they dont just sit after they return to their normal lives.

Filing a monthly report is there for a good reason reason. :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »22.08.04 - 18:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I guess many are wondering, how much this has to do with MorphOS...

Surely it won't be "Linux-only", right? :-)
  • »22.08.04 - 20:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    I think "basic Guidelines" lets us know that it won't be too
    stringent. Maybe the developers will need to show monthly
    improvements on whatever project they stated they would be apart of.
    this wouldn't stop them from using or developing for something other
    than Linux... Sounds great to me, better then just "Phreeboards for
    developers" this time accountability is worked into the deal.
    Way to go Genesi & Freescale!!!
  • »22.08.04 - 20:22
    bbrv
    Anything that runs on the PowerPC Platform qualifies. Certainly, Linux is the main driver, BUT the is also solid interest from Freescale in MorphOS too...;-)

R&B :-)

P.S. IBM also...;-)
  • »22.08.04 - 20:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    IBM and Freescale interested in MOS....very good to hear......i dont think its a bad thiing to have linux driving the pegasos train for now....it has its plus sides.....it brings recognition to the platform.....allowing MOS to also be seen......plus linux suport would be good as many companies are switching to linux and having pegasos computers in big companies is good because it equils lots of sales. :-D
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »22.08.04 - 20:56
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Was there ever a question?!

IBM

Freescale

• »22.08.04 - 21:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    Was there ever a question?!

IBM

Freescale

Its nice to see them mentions on the big players sites like that, even if small and hard to find without a link.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »23.08.04 - 10:54
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Please re-read the first post here...this includes Haiku, Freevo, CruxPPC, and EVEN OS4!

• »24.08.04 - 14:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    whats freevo? and is there a link to it?

found the info to freevo so disregaurd my first line of this post....wow it looks really cool.....this is a good thing glad to see it comming to the pegasos.....

[ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/8/24 7:51 ]
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »24.08.04 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
    I personally don't think a port of OS4 to pegasos 2 will happen as Hyperion/Eyetech are too much involved and they still believe in ArticiaSux "feature". Moreover if peg2 were available for OS4 it will a dry lost for Eyetech. So I don't think it will happen.

But if it would happen I would have mixed feelings :

1 Bad because direct MOS concurrent (at this time) has now good hardware

2 Good for bplan to earn a bit more money
    Pegasos rulez since august 2002
  • »24.08.04 - 16:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Poundsmack,

Info on Freevo
    http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

There is also a section on ppczone
  • »24.08.04 - 16:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I personally don't think a port of OS4 to pegasos 2 will happen

I guess bbrv just meant that the Developer Forum is for "anything PPC" (and not just Linux), and that includes (along with MorphOS and Pegasos) also both Teron/A1 and AOS4.
  • »24.08.04 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    We submitted the list of 40 developers to Freescale today who will be hosted on 30 September at SNDF Europe in Frankfurt. Thanks to all of you who responded. We will be getting an information page up about the day's activities soon.

Next week, we will also be submitting an additional list of 60 developers who will also receive complete machines. We are very happy to announce that the AmigaZeux members will be included in this group, as well as a number of DemoScene Teams.

A big thanks to Freescale for their support on this developer program. In addition to the 100 machines going to developers in September, 75 more are being used to support the initial PegasosPPC pilot projects.

R&B :-D
  • »03.09.04 - 01:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Let the good times roll (again) !

Great work and congratualtions to all the Pegateam!

This is news truly worthy of posting :D

Steve
  • »03.09.04 - 01:28
    It seems very interesting for MorphOS and Pegasos. I hope that we will have great native programs for MorphOS thanks to this.

Waiting for 30 september... :-)
  • »03.09.04 - 04:50
    Kronos
    Quote:

We are very happy to announce that the AmigaZeux members will be included in this group,

I knew I should have been irc-idling more often

Quote:

as well as a number of DemoScene Teams.

1'am a h333333er an kn0w m7 skillz ......
    Thats good enough ?
    :-D
  • »03.09.04 - 07:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    This is very good news indeed! Congratulations Freescale, Genesi, *and* all those developers! :-) :-D

A question to BBRV: Is the list now full and no more application for this offer will be accepted, or can people still contact you if they are interested in this?

It's good to see Genesi picking up momentum again! I have a feeling that more interesting news will follow this autumn! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »03.09.04 - 10:15
    bbrv
    We now have a waiting list for SNDF and we will do are best to include as many developers as possible -- that is for the 40 places. As for the next 60 machines that will be sent directly by Freescale, we are still developing this list. We have well over 100 developers in total and will make sure the most deserving are supported by this outstanding opportunity.

Hats off to Freescale! :-)

R&B
  • »03.09.04 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    Well done guys!

I hope Freescale starts to sell lots and lots of Pegasos2 :-D

BTW, is the DiscoveryIII pin compatible with the Discovery II? would it be possible to change it in future batches so it's possible to increase bus clock?

I'd like to suggest that it may be a good idea to add the XPostFacto author to the list... running MacOS X natively may be interesting... or that may attract Apple attention... maybe we should wait until there are more Pegasos sold and we are unstoppable?
  • »03.09.04 - 13:17
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Here is the letter that went out to the 40 Developers we identified today. We think that is a great way to get a great program started. :-D The next 60 will receive their letters in about two weeks.

Please note MorphOS was mentioned prominently!

(sent by email)

Greetings from Freescale Semiconductor!  As a recognized PowerPC developer, you focus on enabling greater proliferation of alternative operating systems and applications.  You also recognize the importance and growing demand applications running on alternate processor architectures, in particular, the PowerPC architecture.  For these reasons, Freescale views you as a valued ally in developing applications for platforms that leverage the PowerPC processors.  As such, you have the opportunity to receive a Pegasos II development system.

The Pegasos II system from Genesi comes equipped with the G4 PowerPC processor from Freescale that currently is provided with a choice of operating systems including MorphOS, Debian GNU/Linux and Yellow Dog.  It will enable you to develop an assortment of applications on the PowerPC architecture. We would like to work closely with you in these endeavors and provide technical information and assistance as necessary.  We would also like your input on how the technology landscape is developing and how PowerPC processors could play a more significant role across your development community, among IT users and in the overall computing market.

AN INVITATION TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PowerPC FROM FREESCALE

You are invited to attend EuroSNDF on Thursday, September 30th, being held at the Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers, Frankfurt Airport, Germany.  We will be conducting an afternoon training course on PowerPC architecture and its high performance SIMD engine, AltiVec, for developers on the Pegasos II system.  After the session, you will receive your system.  In order to register for the exclusive session, please send an email to xxxx@freescale.com requesting a registration code.  Please include your name, address, company name and telephone number in the email.  Carol will then issue you a registration code.  Visit the following website , www.freescale.com/sndf and under SNDF 2004 Europe, click on REGISTER NOW.  Fill out the form and enter your registration code in the optional registration code box.  This guarantees you admission at no charge (a savings of over 100 €).   Under payment method, please select 100 Euro one day pass and choose Sept. 30.  By the way, you are more than welcome to arrive early and visit our technology lab, which runs from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., and view components and systems from Freescale Semiconductor and third party members of the Smart Networks Alliance and Design Alliance programs.  The training session will run from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.  Refreshments will be provided.   Note, spaces are limited and spots will be distributed on a first come basis.  Last date of registration is September 17, 2004.

These systems are to be used exclusively for evaluation and/or development of applications executing on the Pegasos II platform. Permitted use does not include any other use.

For further information and / or questions please contact:

John Bednarek – Tel:   613-228-xxxx  
    Nikolay Guenov – Tel:  512-895-xxxx 

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Glenn Beck
    Director of Marketing, Computer Platform Division
    Networking and Computing Systems Group
    Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

• »03.09.04 - 20:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    Here is the letter that went out to the 40 Developers we identified today.

"identified" ? :-o

You mean I have been trapped ?

Who framed Kronos Rabbit ?

:-D
  • »03.09.04 - 20:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Things just keep looking better and better every day for us! i would love to see Freescale start to fund the future development of MorphOS. has any talks on that been done or are any in the works?
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »03.09.04 - 21:14
    Profile Visit Website