Working Terminal Programm ?
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Hi,

i wanted to upload a file (Operating System Image) to my Psion using a Terminal Programm. I have to use serial.device unit 0, y-modem , 115 KBaud, rts/cts, 8N1.
    On my Classic Amiga I was used to NComm.
    But on MOS it always tells me, that it cannot open serial.device.
    I also tried a lot of other Terminal Programms with the same result.

The only one that is able to do a connect is AmTerm. But this one does not seem to do anything at all after I have chosen a file for upload in y-modem mode.

MOS is booted with ramdebug option. Miami can connect to internet via serial.device unit 0 without problems.

I wonder why most (but not all) programs fail at OpenDevice() call. Are there different methods of opening serial.device ? Maybe they use values in the structure that is provided at OpenDevice call , that are not supported by MOS serial.device ?

Can anyone please tell me at least one Terminal Program that works under MOS ?
  • »22.07.04 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Have you tried AmTelnet yet? It's kind of the replacement for AmTerm.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »22.07.04 - 20:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Yes. But i couldn't find settings for device and unit. It also seems only to support XModem and ZModem, I need YModem however...
  • »22.07.04 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @pOS

I know Terminus is working, and probably JrComm also (altho this last one is REAL old).

Unfortunately, I don't know where they can be found.

Fred

[EDIT]
    I found that the full Terminus archive is actually on aminet, here.
    [/EDIT]

[ Edited by ChatDEau on 2004/7/22 16:15 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 21:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I'm glad to see this subject has been posted. I was curious on using one of my old terminal programs under MoS not long ago but got stuck on connecting my modem. It would appear that my Peg II is frozen on boot as long as my modem is connected to the serial port. Prior to the freeze, I noticed all my modem lights were blinking on and off.

I've read other posts regarding using the serial port for debugging. So, tell me, how does one boot with a modem connected? The pegger doesn't seem to like it. Is the port for debugging alone?
  • »22.07.04 - 22:26
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    @ChatDEau

Terminus: I'll give it a try. Thanks...

@Tokai:

I already tried Term. Whenever I try to switch a Tab Page in the configuration window, the application starts meditating...so I cannot set device and unit. Editing config file(s) manually is also not an option, as these are in binary format.

@jdryyz
    To switch off debugging on serial port, you have to boot MOS with ramdebug option. Goto BIOS and type "setenv boot-file boot.img ramdebug"
    I also noticed that I have to switch on modem _after_ booting MOS. Otherwise it cannot be initialized.
  • »23.07.04 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yvan
    Why don't you try AmigaNCP:

ftp://de.aminet.net/pub/aminet/comm/misc/amigancp.lha

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminet/aminet/comm/misc/amigancp.readme

It allows you to mount the Psion drive over the serial port.

Okay, I used it on classic Amigas and never tried it on the Pegasos.
  • »23.07.04 - 09:29
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    @Yvan

AmigaNCP works fine on Peg.
    But it can only be used if the operating system on the Psion (5 mx Pro) is already installed. But I wanted to upload the SYSROM Image. And as I don't have it on a CF Card the only way is to upload it using a Terminal Programm. There is a simple service (as counterpart) integrated into the Psion to receive this file. Then it installs it automatically and boots into the OS. It's like connecting to the Pegasos BIOS via a Terminal from remote machine...
  • »23.07.04 - 11:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Leviticus
    I use Term in MorphOS a lot when debugging code on my Amithlon PC
    (that is, I've never actually used it with a modem) and it works
    almost perfectly when used on a public screen.
  • »23.07.04 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

To switch off debugging on serial port, you have to boot MOS with ramdebug option. Goto BIOS and type "setenv boot-file boot.img ramdebug"
    I also noticed that I have to switch on modem _after_ booting MOS. Otherwise it cannot be initialized.

@pOS

Thanks for the info! Oddly enough, I didn't actually try to turn off my modem (duh) to avoid the problem!

Assuming I get through the above, what *is* the correct device name and unit number to select for the Peg's serial port?!? Since the Peg should be using a modern UART chip, I trust all those serial port booster device files from the past are obsolete.
  • »23.07.04 - 17:01
  • Targhan
    Well, I've got a copy of JrComm around here somewhere, if it's needed I'll upload it (haven't tried it on my peg, but I used to use it a lot in the amiga days for bbs'ing).

Targhan
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »23.07.04 - 17:15
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Quote:

Assuming I get through the above, what *is* the correct device name and unit number to select for the Peg's serial port?!?

serial.device unit 0

Quote:

Since the Peg should be using a modern UART chip, I trust all those serial port booster device files from the past are obsolete.

Yes.
  • »23.07.04 - 18:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    Assuming I get through the above, what *is* the correct device name and unit number to select for the Peg's serial port?!?

serial.device unit 0

Quote:

Since the Peg should be using a modern UART chip, I trust all those serial port booster device files from the past are obsolete.

Yes.

Thanks!!

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2004/7/23 11:26 ]
  • »23.07.04 - 19:25