Centralized new MorphOS Software announcement site - oGALAXY
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Hello,

I was talking with Targhan today if there is an interest to create an own new centralized Webpage for MorphOS Applications (Demos, Tools, Games, etc.).

The idea for this came because I got a bit confused about all the different places where people announce their new Stuff for MorphOS. Everything is spread on all types of locations, no central point where you can simply nail in the URL and see in an overview what new Stuff has arrived and how they look like.

Even if someone wants to port other Programs to MorphOS most simply do not know whether the stuff has been ported already or not because it's spread on various places. Sometimes people even duplicate the work which is not necessary.

We urgently need a centralized place where we can do such announcements, vote for the applications itself, where we can see some screenshots or write comments to the authors.

I know some MorphOS related pages already started to collect information about new releases but imo the way they are doing it is not satisfying. Providing a link to the archive to download is most likely not something you can win new people with either.

To promote MorphOS more in the public we need to tell the people 'hey look here, we have these nice looking applications'. And people want to come and the first thing they want is to see screenshots.

I also like to be able to click on a link and visit the Homepage of the author rather than having this direct download link so we can see what he does and if he made changes to the locations of the files or re-organized his page etc.

I would like to know how the interests are for such a thing. I have also something in mind that may come close to this.

KDE-Apps
    KDE-Look

Please go there and have a look yourself. The software is ordered nicely, presented nicely, you can vote for the application and you have nice screenshots. And the best - the page is dead simply to use.
  • »19.03.04 - 23:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    I don't know if MorphOS has enough software activity to make such a site LIVE...
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »19.03.04 - 23:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    I really like this idea myself. It has become
    somewhat confusing to follow software releases
    since many have stopped uploading to aminet and
    started to move things to their own sites. A
    centralized place to search for software with
    download links, homepage links, description etc.
    would be very welcome. Make it possible for the
    software author to upload their own file
    information, release info etc. is even better.

MorphOS-News has been doing good lately on keeping
    their software database going but it would be
    nice for authors to be able to modify the info
    themselves and have a few other improvements in
    presentation. :)
  • »20.03.04 - 00:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Black_Eagle
    YES! Especially screen shots would be an important thing to add to such a site, since most people I know including myself, decide what programs to get by the looks of them.

So we should definately try to get a site like this up and running. It doesn't matter if there are just a small number of apps to start with. That only means we can concentrate on getting the layout good from the start so we are ready when MOS takes over the world =)
    OnyxSoft - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better...
  • »20.03.04 - 00:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    This is something that lot of times I discussed in the IRC channel. The KDE site looks very nice, but I had something like this in my mind ...http://www.bebits.com/

I want also to say that I like that you share your ideas with all of us! :-D
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »20.03.04 - 00:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @ oGALAXYo

Hi!

I think it's a good idea. At some point I was interested to start such a project, but as I have no time for the moment (and need money), the only thing I could offer help with it to translate text to French.

So, as soon as you start the project (if you start it) , send me the english pages and I'll translate them.

I hope I can help a bit this way.

Cheers,
    Fred
  • »20.03.04 - 01:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Druideck
    If you build it....apps will come.

I put PlayFKiss, the doll dressup program
    into a lha with some sample CNF files to load.
    It works great on Morphos. (for the kids);)

http://members.fortunecity.com/wsamel/kissmorph.lha
  • »20.03.04 - 01:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    There is morphos-news.de software directory for this. It's well maintenanted by antibike and almost every time uptodate. And if a programmer wants to make sure his software will not get lost when his own webpage is down he should upload his stuff to aminet and then tell antibike the new link.

Atm. there is no need for something larger... we don't need a second download.com for only 1000 apps, IMHO. :-)

So if you want to start something then I can only suggest to talk with antibike and concentrate the efforts. I don't see need for more sites for such purpose(s).

Oh, and anyway.. why did u put your nick in the topic? any special reason?
  • »20.03.04 - 01:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I've worked out a set of fields (for a program) for such a site, and have worked out a new Dir structure too- as the Aminet one is a bit archaic, and hard to understand. The structure I came up with was used for the MDC Labs pages (although the Game subdirs have been culled down a bit :/ ). http://mdc.morphos.net/index.php?mode=labs

I've also got a large list of useful programs for MOS, including 68k ones (not sure if all the 68k ones work though)- as we need to provide all, software that works on MOS, not just MOS native ones!

Mail me if you want anything! :)
    - Ants
  • »20.03.04 - 03:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I am supportive of this idea, whether it's a site, subsite, or other.

However, I am in full believe that such a site needs to be all inclusive. If a program is commercial, it should say so, and where to go to purchase it. If it's shareware, it should say so, and point to where you can register it. If it is likely to be abandonware 68k stuff, that should also be indicated (so a developer can see that a need may arise).

[--- edit ---]

Also, I like screenshots. It should not require a login to browse. No popups.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »20.03.04 - 04:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @Druideck

You should (must!) upload kissmorph.lha on Aminet with its little kissmorph.readme

I don't understand why people stoped using Aminet.
  • »20.03.04 - 04:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Henes wrote:

I don't understand why people stoped using Aminet.

Simply because hunting working stuff from Aminet is Way too mych trouble. I'm sure there are many nice and well behaving apps + games etc.. there, but finding them is just too much hassle. Besides.. most of new stuff on aminet are just pictures and Mod:s ... If you'll need those it's fine, but for anythign else it's way outdated.

I agree with Liquidbit about BeBits .. it's nice and well organized site that helps user on finding what he needs.
    http://somequicknotes.blogspot.com/index.html
  • »20.03.04 - 05:14
    Senex
    Then extending the Aminet with a MOS branch should be fine. If the idea behind this thread is to have one unified ressource, then this would be the way to go, containing MOS-stuff as well as that huge amount of system-friendly AmigaOS software which also can be useful for us MorphOS-users.
  • »20.03.04 - 06:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Idea of "one download page to rule them all" is a good one, but would people start to use it?

As there's already Morphzone downloads section, and morphos-news.de has one aswell...

Few ideas for such a page:

-Users should be able to set software they like "on watch" so, they'll receive notification, when it's updated.
    -Site should host all files, not just link to them. Many use their own web space, no problem with that - as long as it works...

And another site idea...
    How about a list of various unported open source games?
    It could have some screenshots, information (uses SDL, OpenGL, done in C etc.), opinions from those, who have tried the app (maybe on Pegasos/Linux) and coders could announce, they're working on porting certain program...

This might:
    -Stop all "Please port this" threads :-)
    -Encourage people to start porting
    -Avoid having many people porting the same app not knowing about each other
  • »20.03.04 - 07:02
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Im with this idea. Anyone has thought url for the site? It should be something easy to remember.. like mossoftware.org for instance.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.03.04 - 07:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i would also like to see teh creation of such a site
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »20.03.04 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I totaly agree with Henes, Aminet shouldn't be forgotten, it is
    somewhat disappointing to start a new software database when we have a
    huge one, maybe a MOS part should be added or something alloying to
    sort MOS things.
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »20.03.04 - 09:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Black_Eagle
    Aminet is not an option for this project, unless you also change it's layout so there can be screen shots and links to developers pages and things like that. Aminet only has a readme currently, and often it's not too big.

I mean, if there are five programs that say "Text editor" and nothing more, then a screen shot of them would help a lot instead of having to download them all.

So sure, Aminet is very good, but CAN we change Aminet so we have screen shots and some other stuff? Otherwise it's pointless for you to bring it up all the time here.
    OnyxSoft - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better...
  • »20.03.04 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Well, the idea was to not just create yet another new site. It was more the idea of having MorphZone and Morphos-News throw together the 'Software' map into one new site. That is two sites getting rid of their feature in favor to a new one.

The way KDE-Apps works for example is quite simple. It will require some work to set such a new page up no doubt but once it's done you can:

- create an account,
    - maintain your software,
    - add screenshots,
    - add new description,
    - add comments,
    - vote for the app,
    - more.

Most of the maintainance required afterwards is done by the authors of the software itself and would take maintainance away from the Webpage owner (besides looking there every now and then so the users behave).

The situation around Aminet is a different one. I don't plan to remove Aminet or have people convince to not post their stuff there. But Aminet is an ancient relict from former times. Not suitable for new audience and probably not even suitable for you either.

You may got used to Aminet since you learned it's structure for the past years. You learned to use it and you got used to it.

But for a modern time like this we need to look over the plate and see in the future. Even I know about Aminet from former times (the times where BBS's were still actual, you logged in, you scanned for new 0 day warez, you read the file_id.diz, you leeched the stuff and went off again. Same schema as usually). Aminet is quite similar but it bombs out over the years. There are a lot of useful stuff there and a lot of junk as well. But you can't figure out what is junk and what not by just reading the description of the file. You need to download it, install it, start it (think about trojans and viruses) to figure out if the app suits your needs or is visually appealing to you.

Even I had my hard times looking through Aminet, not even clear to find what I search and if the stuff I downloaded is the right one for my tasks. You are stuck for hours searching for something. Then you find something but it's not sure whether there is a far better solution for your needs.

That's why I think a new site is required. It's just a NEWS site. People can continue putting the files on Aminet if they like. But they announce them on the new site including some screenshots.

When you go out for Applications then you usually dig on google for screenshots. Same with the games you use. How do you figure out if the GAME is something for you or not if you don't look at screenshots first. (Say Knights and Merchants, or the other Epic-Entertainment or Hyperion-Entertainment GAMES) you go to their page, search for some reviews or screenshots and then you decide whether you may like the app or not.

How often did I hear from people 'Hey, what's this app on your screenshot' and people reply to them 'This is ANR or AmiTradeCenter' or whatever. They say this because they were looking at some screenshots and decided that this may be an application they would like to use.

A lot of people announce (and still announce) software for Amiga these days but many of them forget adding a tiny screenshot or windowshot of these apps describing them.

Sure there are a lot of experts amongst you who say 'Why, for me it's natural to do it the way we did for years' but you are limiting these views only for your own. We need to expand this community in all areas and every new user is a good user. No matter if he uses an PegasosI or PegasosII or AmigaONE or even AROS (on different Architectures). When we talk to people and like to have them peek on the capabilities of our system then we need to go out and offer sane solutions and nice places where they can go and look at.

See AROS for example. A handful changed ICONS and THEME engines and voila two screenshots shown to other people make them get interested to download the ISO and try it out at least. We can indirectly help promoting for our system and philosophy but we need to change.

These are for sure my own ideas here and I do respect other ideas as well and maybe we need to find some arrangement to get this stuff started. I for my own peek over to Targhan and Antibike here in hope they are willing to help.

What would be nice is following:

- The page should be easy to remember (www.morphos-apps.org) for example.
    - The page should not be overblown with thousands of sublinks
    - New applications should be prompted in the Middle of the page including an immediately to click Thumbnail (which enlargens itself when clicked).
    - In a Menu the applications should be also categorized in teir own area.

Something I don't like is annoying links everywhere. I usually search for something but don't have in mind at first what I really search for. Say I only want to dig around for something new. I want to click on the app and I want that when I click on the app that a Thumbnail shows up with it as well. I don't want to click yet another link that says 'Screenshot' only to get an screenshot afterwards.

So there are quite a few attributes that should be considered to be important.

- The Application itself,
    - The Thumbnail,
    - The Description,
    - Vote.

The BeBits page is quite nice but you need to click some extra links for screenshot while imo it could have been added to the filedescription itself as thumbnail (which you can then click to enlarge it). Some apps simply don't come with screenshots there and then you spent one click more to figure out 'no screenshot added'. Which can be quite annoying after some time.

So simplicity is required and an easy navigation modell.

KDE-Apps and FreshMeat are quite good examples how to do it in a pretty fine way. You have an easy to remember url, you load it and you are prompted with the new stuff directly. When the app is clicked you get an Thumbnail as well.

Someone said we don't need this for just '1000' apps. Sorry ? Just '1000' ? Thousand apps are quite a lot and the efforts would be honoured.

We also need to see our own Amiga world from a different perspective. We shouldn't see it as a shrinking community. We should see it as an community that we expand with every day. We are expanding by promoting it, we are expanding by demonstrating others that we can still do it and that we can do it better or equally than others, we are expanding because we believe we are right. We need to stop to feel self-pity of ourselves. We are expanding and not shrinking.

I would also like to add that there is a lot of duplication of efforts being done for Open Source and Free Software applications. E.g. AROS has their own 'contribs' stuff and even on MorphOS and AmigaOS we find that there are different people who attempt to port the same software again. Maybe we can find an way of arrangement that this software is of general benefit for us all. E.g. AROS has quite a few nice Demos which are great for promotion. We should keep them on one location and work on them so it works on AROS, AmigaOS and MorphOS and whenever it's update that we all benefit from it (This also reduces that we work ourselves on everything over and over again). Say if someone works on DOpus 4.x then we should make sure it works on AROS, AmigaOS and MorphOS at the same time by grabbing the sources, untar, configure and make them. It doesn't make sense to have 5 people working on 5 different attempts to improve it. Nobody is helped that way. There are so many nice tiny tools we can benefit from the AROS contribs package and vice verca (there are so many things). We need to organize this better and benefit all from it. That's why such a new site can be of important use.

oGALAXYo
  • »20.03.04 - 14:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    @ Ali

I agree 100%. Running on a OPA based ;-) machine with solid and secure OpenBSD.

Except for FreshMeat which is one of the worst designed web site ever.
    - Ronald
  • »20.03.04 - 15:24