Amithlon + MorphOS = the future?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Regarding activity on forums. I think MorphOS is just straight forward and works very stable on all supported plattforms. I know dozens of MorphOS Users who use their machines everyday without participating in any morphos specific online activities. A lot of them use Mac minis or Powerbooks as extension to their classic setup - eg. file transfer, browsing, amiga compatible filesystem creation (usb sticks, hard disks, etc), extraction of huge files, e-uae etc.
    But I agree that MorphOS could use some better drivers and more applications and games.

I agree. In one sense I'm very satisfied with MorphOS and use it everyday. No need for anything and it stays up for weeks.

Would be nice to have better video drivers and a native and feature rich spreadsheet and word processor and maybe an accounting software.
  • »22.03.24 - 08:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Yes, agree too. A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all, to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!
    And 2nd, for sure, a office package, like open office.

And (*dreaming on*) any kind of useing the 2nd CPU to speed up some applications......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »22.03.24 - 09:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all,
    > to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!

You mean video decoding? Or something else which would make Wayfarer faster somehow?
  • »22.03.24 - 11:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ThorstenS
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all,
    > to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!

You mean video decoding? Or something else which would make Wayfarer faster somehow?

It's probably more about things like "Microsoft Office Online" (https://www.office.com/)...
    A stand-alone Office or word processing program is certainly preferable, but couldn't you create one via the browser if necessary?

Microsoft has shown the way with Office Online. And with Wayfarer we already have a good tool in our hands...

[ Editiert durch ThorstenS 22.03.2024 - 14:47 ]
  • »22.03.24 - 14:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ThorstenS
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:

> It's probably more about things like "Microsoft Office Online"

I don't understand. Would "better video card support" "gain more speed" for running "Microsoft Office Online" in Wayfarer?

As @analogkid wrote in the a1k forum, rendering could be done via the GPU, so supporting better graphics cards makes sense here. If you then had the second processor core ready, Microsoft Office Online should be easy to use.
  • »22.03.24 - 16:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Would "better video card support" "gain more speed"
    >> for running "Microsoft Office Online" in Wayfarer?

> rendering could be done via the GPU

Yes, hardware acceleration would probably help with things like scrolling speed. I wonder if that's really what Amigaharry2 meant in comment #52.

> so supporting better graphics cards makes sense here.

As I read it, comments #51 and #52 were not about support for better graphics cards, but about improved support for currently supported cards. I doubt that rather modest applications like word processing can really benefit from better cards than we have already.

> If you then had the second processor core ready,
    > Microsoft Office Online should be easy to use.

Does a browser tab use more than one core on Windows/Linux/macOS?
  • »22.03.24 - 17:00
    Kronos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Does a browser tab use more than one core on Windows/Linux/macOS?

Yes, no, does not apply....

Lots of services will be running in the background or are parallel in nature.

So even if whatever HTML feature Office uses to run in a browser (or is it just streaming from a server?) is single threaded (doubt it) that 1 core wouldn't also have to handle the TCP/IP stack, file operations, the GUI and whatnot.

Problem is that modern SW ported over MorphOS wouldn't know about "main core" and "non SMP cores" to utilize anything multicore that is plausible in the short term.
    Now if we get to the point where NetStack, Poseidon etc could run on Core2 we would see some real uplift in such application, but still a far cry from what one would get running it with full SMP on the same HW.
  • »22.03.24 - 17:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    I think what we need is an architectual shift towards AMD64 and removing the restrictions of OS3.1 API compatibility.
    That would make a lot of things easier in both hardware and software availability
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »22.03.24 - 18:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Interesting thread, I'd posted on an older thread with similar-ish ideas.

It's a complicated problem and there's not many with enough knowledge or time to solve it.

With PowerPC long gone from the consumer market there needs to be a new target platform.
    I'm of the opinion that MorphOS should at least consider the option of running hosted on another OS, that is, take over the system in the same way a game does. This will cost latency and performance but even single CPU cores are so fast now, is anyone going to notice? That said, it might be faster in some cases as the host OS functions would be running on other CPU cores.

As for CPU choice, x86-64 makes a lot of sense, but that could be about to change. The Arm contenders have to date have had lacklustre performance and were over priced. There are lower priced options in Chromebooks and RPi of course but they're not the fastest machines, that said, I'd like to see how the RPi 5 compares to the G5 Macs.

However, the M1 changed things and the rest of the industry is now catching up. There's a whole bunch of Snapdragon X-Elite Laptops about to drop and the Geekbench scores are (for the top ones) coming in similar to an M2 Pro/Max. That'll be followed by a whole series of others, AMD and Nvidia have both said they're doing Arm chips and then there's all the other phone chip vendors who'll most likely join in. CPU market could be about to get interesting.

BTW for reference, this is what an M2 Max can do:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B1MJ1pl5zyA

More techie details on the Snapdragon X-Elite at Anandtech.
  • »17.06.24 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

connor schrieb:
    In practise I have little hope. Since the announcement of MorphOS 4.x and the demo on amiga 34 we haven't heard about it anymore. It is almost 4.5 years now. bigfoot is the only person working on it and instead of completing this he writes graphics drivers for his bounty (if he has electrictiy which is the next problenm). Yes it gives him money but the general development of MorphOS is kind of stalled. we are still limited to almost 20 year old retro machines. everyone is waiting for the switch that is long overdue and does not happen.

Yeah what a pitty.
    Maybe we should open a Bounty for Solarpanels with a big battery for bigfoot. So he could get his work and projects done. And maybe we would them see some progress in development of the AMD64 port.
    My G5 is catching dust because it`s the slowest machine besides my a1200 when it comes to surfing the web. And it needs more power then all my devices together for just surfing the web.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »17.06.24 - 11:45