Amithlon + MorphOS = the future?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Regarding activity on forums. I think MorphOS is just straight forward and works very stable on all supported plattforms. I know dozens of MorphOS Users who use their machines everyday without participating in any morphos specific online activities. A lot of them use Mac minis or Powerbooks as extension to their classic setup - eg. file transfer, browsing, amiga compatible filesystem creation (usb sticks, hard disks, etc), extraction of huge files, e-uae etc.
    But I agree that MorphOS could use some better drivers and more applications and games.

I agree. In one sense I'm very satisfied with MorphOS and use it everyday. No need for anything and it stays up for weeks.

Would be nice to have better video drivers and a native and feature rich spreadsheet and word processor and maybe an accounting software.
  • »22.03.24 - 08:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Yes, agree too. A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all, to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!
    And 2nd, for sure, a office package, like open office.

And (*dreaming on*) any kind of useing the 2nd CPU to speed up some applications......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »22.03.24 - 09:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all,
    > to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!

You mean video decoding? Or something else which would make Wayfarer faster somehow?
  • »22.03.24 - 11:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ThorstenS
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > A better video card support is for me on top of my list - first of all,
    > to gain more speed for applications like Wayfarer!

You mean video decoding? Or something else which would make Wayfarer faster somehow?

It's probably more about things like "Microsoft Office Online" (https://www.office.com/)...
    A stand-alone Office or word processing program is certainly preferable, but couldn't you create one via the browser if necessary?

Microsoft has shown the way with Office Online. And with Wayfarer we already have a good tool in our hands...

[ Editiert durch ThorstenS 22.03.2024 - 14:47 ]
  • »22.03.24 - 14:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ThorstenS
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:

> It's probably more about things like "Microsoft Office Online"

I don't understand. Would "better video card support" "gain more speed" for running "Microsoft Office Online" in Wayfarer?

As @analogkid wrote in the a1k forum, rendering could be done via the GPU, so supporting better graphics cards makes sense here. If you then had the second processor core ready, Microsoft Office Online should be easy to use.
  • »22.03.24 - 16:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Would "better video card support" "gain more speed"
    >> for running "Microsoft Office Online" in Wayfarer?

> rendering could be done via the GPU

Yes, hardware acceleration would probably help with things like scrolling speed. I wonder if that's really what Amigaharry2 meant in comment #52.

> so supporting better graphics cards makes sense here.

As I read it, comments #51 and #52 were not about support for better graphics cards, but about improved support for currently supported cards. I doubt that rather modest applications like word processing can really benefit from better cards than we have already.

> If you then had the second processor core ready,
    > Microsoft Office Online should be easy to use.

Does a browser tab use more than one core on Windows/Linux/macOS?
  • »22.03.24 - 17:00
    Kronos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Does a browser tab use more than one core on Windows/Linux/macOS?

Yes, no, does not apply....

Lots of services will be running in the background or are parallel in nature.

So even if whatever HTML feature Office uses to run in a browser (or is it just streaming from a server?) is single threaded (doubt it) that 1 core wouldn't also have to handle the TCP/IP stack, file operations, the GUI and whatnot.

Problem is that modern SW ported over MorphOS wouldn't know about "main core" and "non SMP cores" to utilize anything multicore that is plausible in the short term.
    Now if we get to the point where NetStack, Poseidon etc could run on Core2 we would see some real uplift in such application, but still a far cry from what one would get running it with full SMP on the same HW.
  • »22.03.24 - 17:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    I think what we need is an architectual shift towards AMD64 and removing the restrictions of OS3.1 API compatibility.
    That would make a lot of things easier in both hardware and software availability
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »22.03.24 - 18:24