Should TurboPrint still be present in MorphOS or not ?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello everyone,

All is in the title. Do you think or consider that TurboPrint should or should not still be present in MorphOS ? Are any of you using it with a supported printer or not ? Apart from what is present in MorphOS it is possible to find on the internet, on an FTP site at least, TurboPrint latest version for amiga in adf or dms disk image. It is also possible to obtain the printer drivers only on the IrseeSoft site in their archive in tar.gz format for Linux. What do you think about the possibility of TurboPrint being attached to the Contributions directory in the form of an archive or something else ?

I don't know how to present this in the form of a survey but express yourself freely on this subject.

Brumiga
  • »04.12.23 - 14:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do you think or consider that TurboPrint should or should not
    > still be present in MorphOS ? […] What do you think about the
    > possibility of TurboPrint being attached to the Contribution
    > directory in the form of an archive or something else ?

I actually think that not installing TurboPrint by default but instead relegating it to Contributions for later and optional installation is a good idea. This would help promote the new (well, since MorphOS 3.10 from almost 6 years ago) printing system and raise its awareness. My impression here on MorphZone has been that both being present concurrently is a source of confusion for users.
    Are there (m)any printers from the last decade that don't work with the new printing system but do work with TurboPrint?
  • »04.12.23 - 15:57
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'm still using it when printing from old programs like Final Writer. About 50-50 with TurboPrint and the new printing system in my use. There aren't many word processors or graphics programs that could output to the new system... you'll have to get data converted to PDF or HTML to be able to print with the new system currently. Or plain text with FlowStudio I guess..

So, I would keep TurboPrint in MorphOS, at least until there will be a solution to get the new system working from old programs. Are you suggesting removing it, because it's a bit confusing for users to have two different printing systems?

I'm afraid anything put into the Contributions directory will go under the radar for the most, and users would just think that they can't print from the old programs at all... at least I had forgotten that we have such an directory on the installation media :) It doesn't even have an icon to be seen. It should be copied on the system partition so that users would find/remember it.

[ Edited by jPV 04.12.2023 - 17:19 ]
  • »04.12.23 - 16:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I use it very regularly every week.

So my vote is yes...
  • »04.12.23 - 17:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Many pogs cannot print postscript - for those, TP is the only way to printout. Laserprinters, which can understand PCL, are well useable with TP (HP Laserjet-drivers).
    There also some other (modern) bitmap-printers, which are usable by included (old) drivers in TP, such as A3-printing with an HP-7110 (which I use too). In some cases, slight modifications of TP-driver is needed (these are only ASCII-files), like higher resolutione, etc.

As long as the new printing system from Zukow cannot handle this printers, TP is needed to be installed.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »04.12.23 - 17:53
    tolkien
    I think all the options are good, but it is true that I find the MorphOS printer system a bit confusing.
    Maybe it's because I haven't had to deal with it very often and I only do it sporadically, but that is precisely the main problem...new people who want to use it.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »08.12.23 - 08:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Yeah, it's a bit confusing for someone new. There are two printing systems - one for (older) bitmap-printers (with some drivers!!) and the new, unversal postscript system.
    On a PC all Printers are delivered with there own drivers, which we don't have. So TP will be needed further on, as long as all printers cannot understand PS (which never will happen, I think)
    And I don't think that Mos-team will combine both systems (GUI's) in one system together.......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »08.12.23 - 09:58
    polluks
    Even CUPS uses TurboPrint as a subssytem :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »08.12.23 - 10:11
    KennyR
    Fun fact. In the 90s I had a Seikosha SL96 that came with its own print manager called Seikoshaprefs by Wolf Faust, which was basically Turboprint for just that printer. Turboprint itself did not support it. (In fact, I wasn't able to use that printer with anything else, even a PC, except by using far inferior SL95 Windows-95 drivers, which were horrible and had dot gain issues.)

Amusingly, I was able to get MorphOS to print with it to the Pegasos parallel port by copying its printer.device over to MorphOS.

There will always be a need for this as long as not every printer handles PS or we still use older software that outputs to printer.device.

[ Edited by KennyR 08.12.2023 - 19:43 ]
  • »08.12.23 - 20:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There will always be a need for this as long as not every printer handles PS

No, see above.
  • »08.12.23 - 22:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @KennyR:
    Funny! I had (have) a Seikosha SL92. This one works fine with TP-driver for the Seikosha SL80-AI. Should also do with an SL96.
  • »08.12.23 - 22:41
    KennyR
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    @KennyR:
    Funny! I had (have) a Seikosha SL92. This one works fine with TP-driver for the Seikosha SL80-AI. Should also do with an SL96.

Nothing worked, except SL95, which TP didn't support either. Seikosha must have had some really weird custom bitmap parsing for its last two dot matrix printers, and wasn't Epson compatible in the slightest. The SL96 was a 360x360 dpi dot matrix, which pushed that technology as far as it was likely to go, but inkjets were already appearing and could print a sheet without taking three quarters of an hour to do so. (That is not an exaggeration.)

Oftentimes you can print just by emailing a pdf or jpg to your own printer, without even needing to convert to PS or PCL. I don't think anyone still uses dot matrices except maybe as simple line printers, and only in very specific niches (I used to use one to print off ELISA results in my research assistant position in the naughties). A lot more likely someone will still use applications that use printer.device.
  • »09.12.23 - 17:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    A bit late, but SL96 should work with TP EPSON LQ-Drivers. Technical data says that he can read Epson LQ870 ESC-codes.

(German Magazine with test of SL96-Color: https://www.google.at/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://www.retropoly.de/c64er/1994/64er_1994-11.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwis6t3ssOSEAxUxgv0HHbXDCUYQFnoECAQQAg&usg=AOvVaw39LrurLzwCUVHEBhpgl6rb)
  • »08.03.24 - 09:55