Smokin' Guns and sqrxz doesn't show fullscreen
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hi to all of you:

I have various games that I downloaded last weeks.For example sqrxz and Smokin' Guns.

The problem is that when I try to run it says "Out Of Range" that must be a problem with no finding a proper screenmode.

As I am still new more than less to Morphos.

How can I run these precious games on my setup?

AmigaOne X5000/Morphos 3.18 registered and more.

I want to run too MAME 0.148 that at this present moment seemed to be unusable at all.No proper screenmode here.

Thanks in advance and hope we can solve this soon with your help.

EDIT: Last days Yannick ( the autor of easy2install) helped me but I only played sqrxz on a window

[ Edited by bearerofthetorch 06.09.2023 - 20:42 ]
  • »06.09.23 - 20:41
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Check your screenmode settings in MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors, there's a list of available screenmodes and you can create new ones if something is missing. You can also test existing modes by selecting a mode and clicking the Edit button (or double-click a mode).

I think sqrxz uses 640x480 mode by default and Smokin' Guns 800x600, but I'm not sure about color depths, but check and test that you have those modes in all 8bit, 15/16bit, and 24bit depths.

Newer monitors may also not work with the lowest resolutions anymore, like 320x240, but maybe that's not the issue here...
  • »07.09.23 - 06:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Check your screenmode settings in MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors, there's a list of available screenmodes and you can create new ones if something is missing. You can also test existing modes by selecting a mode and clicking the Edit button (or double-click a mode).

I think sqrxz uses 640x480 mode by default and Smokin' Guns 800x600, but I'm not sure about color depths, but check and test that you have those modes in all 8bit, 15/16bit, and 24bit depths.

Newer monitors may also not work with the lowest resolutions anymore, like 320x240, but maybe that's not the issue here...

Thank you really for your information JPV!!!! I will check later this afternoon,but as you appointed it could be a modern monitor issue.
  • »07.09.23 - 14:33
  • ghh
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ghh
    After the update to 3.18 I had a similar problem with Amiga programs that open on the default "PAL/NTSC" screen. Low resolutions are defined, but their frequencies were too high and I had to adjust them.
  • »07.09.23 - 23:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

ghh wrote:
    After the update to 3.18 I had a similar problem with Amiga programs that open on the default "PAL/NTSC" screen. Low resolutions are defined, but their frequencies were too high and I had to adjust them.

And how can I adjust the screenmodes (like a 320x240 one) to run things like sqrxz,Smokin'Guns,Genesis Plus or MAME?

I have great illusion specially on emulators like MAME and games too
  • »08.09.23 - 15:07
  • ghh
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ghh
    Unfortunately, modes smaller than 640x480 don't work on my monitor. I tried to edit 320x240 in MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors or add a new one, but no luck. I usually try to run a program or game in a window and then set the resolution for fullscreen.
  • »08.09.23 - 18:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

And how can I adjust the screenmodes (like a 320x240 one) to run things like sqrxz,Smokin'Guns,Genesis Plus or MAME?

Many developers take this into account nowadays and offer a doubled mode to get at least 640x480 resolution, with an option or automatically.

But as I already told, MorphOS port of sqrxz opens into 640x480 by default, and Smokin' Guns opens to 800x600 by default. So you shouldn't need 320x mode for them.
  • »08.09.23 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

Many developers take this into account nowadays and offer a doubled mode to get at least 640x480 resolution, with an option or automatically.

But as I already told, MorphOS port of sqrxz opens into 640x480 by default, and Smokin' Guns opens to 800x600 by default. So you shouldn't need 320x mode for them.

Yes I need it because as I said,they get "Out Of Range"
  • »08.09.23 - 19:11
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

It's opening a screenmode your monitor can't display. So either it is 320x240 and your monitor can't go down that low (which is common), or you have a screenmode in your list that isn't compatible with your monitor. Usually it's the frequency, as it's an old holdover from CRT.

Go through your screenmodes and delete any that don't display properly. Then have another go.
  • »08.09.23 - 22:50
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

Well, have you tried if "8bit 640x480", "15/16bit 640x480", and "24bit 640x480" do show when you try to test them in "MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors". And same for "8bit 800x600", "15/16bit 800x600", and "24bit 800x600". Just try these in MorphOS prefs if they say "Out Of Range" or not.

If they say "Out Of Range" check what your monitor specifications tell, and adjust screenmodes accorgingly.
  • »09.09.23 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

Well, have you tried if "8bit 640x480", "15/16bit 640x480", and "24bit 640x480" do show when you try to test them in "MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors". And same for "8bit 800x600", "15/16bit 800x600", and "24bit 800x600". Just try these in MorphOS prefs if they say "Out Of Range" or not.

If they say "Out Of Range" check what your monitor specifications tell, and adjust screenmodes accorgingly.

I tried various 320x240,640x480&800x600 in 8 and 24 Bit depths and it says "No Signal" and "Out Of Range".

What can I do now? Is my Amiga 1200's monitor that is on AmigaKit for years (That's another case or issue) suitable for 320x240 Morphos 3.18 resolutions?

[ Edited by bearerofthetorch 14.09.2023 - 12:52 ]
  • »09.09.23 - 16:39
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:

I tried various 320x240,640x480&800x600 in 8 and 24 Bit depths and it says "No Signal" and "Out Of Range".

What can I do now? Is my Amiga 1200's monitor that is on AMigaKit for years (That's another case or issue) suitable for 320x240 Morphos 3.18 resolutions?
  • »09.09.23 - 16:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Forget the 320x240 resolution for now (sorry that I mentioned in the first place), but try to get at least 800x600 to work with your monitor.

You could try to change your 800x600 mode to another preset by editing the mode and selecting different 800x600 entries from the list on the Edit Mode window. VESA modes are more likely to work, and 800x600 @ 60Hz would be the first I'd try.

If none of the preset modes do work, then refer your monitor specifications (google your monitor manufacturer + model + "specs") that which resolutions in which frequencies it should work, and adjust the sliders accordingly until you get it to work.

Or try with that another monitor if you like.
  • »09.09.23 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Forget the 320x240 resolution for now (sorry that I mentioned in the first place), but try to get at least 800x600 to work with your monitor.

You could try to change your 800x600 mode to another preset by editing the mode and selecting different 800x600 entries from the list on the Edit Mode window. VESA modes are more likely to work, and 800x600 @ 60Hz would be the first I'd try.

If none of the preset modes do work, then refer your monitor specifications (google your monitor manufacturer + model + "specs") that which resolutions in which frequencies it should work, and adjust the sliders accordingly until you get it to work.

Or try with that another monitor if you like.

OK I see that is very complicated to me because I don't know my monitor model.Is an HKC but don't know more..

I will try to contact Amedia France to ask about my monitor model specs
  • »10.09.23 - 21:02
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    But try the standard VESA modes first, it's good chances that they do work.

BTW. have you connected the monitor with a VGA cable or DVI cable? On DVI the modes should usually match the monitor specs, because it's getting them via DDC, but on VGA it doesn't get them autoconfigured.
  • »11.09.23 - 05:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    But try the standard VESA modes first, it's good chances that they do work.

BTW. have you connected the monitor with a VGA cable or DVI cable? On DVI the modes should usually match the monitor specs, because it's getting them via DDC, but on VGA it doesn't get them autoconfigured.

OK I see

My HKC monitor is attached with a HDMI black cable.

What are the standard VESA modes? How can I configure them
    ?
    I am dying to play Genesis Plus and MAME on my Morphos 3.18 registered

All the best for all of you too.
  • »12.09.23 - 11:56
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    ?

Go to edit the modes as I instructed you earlier in this thread. On the predefined modes list you can see entries that end to the "VESA" word. Select and test those if some of them would work.
  • »12.09.23 - 19:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    ?

Go to edit the modes as I instructed you earlier in this thread. On the predefined modes list you can see entries that end to the "VESA" word. Select and test those if some of them would work.

Sorry but I don't see any with that VESA word
  • »12.09.23 - 20:26
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    ?

So you don't have anything like this in the list?
    Screenshot
  • »13.09.23 - 19:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    ?

Screenshot

Yes I have,

What can I do now?
  • »13.09.23 - 22:21
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Screenshot

Yes I have,

What can I do now?

For example, starting from 800x600 modes:

1) Select 24Bit 800x600 from the main window (just like on the screenshot on the left side)

2) Click the Edit button to get the Edit Mode window (right side on the screenshot)

3) Click the Test button. If you get a visible screen with the test picture as the background and a smaller window over it, click the Cancel button on both Edit Mode windows and return to the step 1) and repeat for the 8Bit 800x600 and 15/16Bit 800x600 modes. A working test picture screen indicates that the mode is OK and it should work with other software too.

4) If the Test fails and you get the "Out of Range" message from the monitor with no visible image. Try to press the Esc if it'd close the test screen, and if not, reboot the machine (IIRC the Esc used to quit the test, but I'm not sure anymore)

5) After a failed test, open the Edit Mode for the same failing mode again, and click the "800x600 (60Hz, 37.9kHz) VESA" entry from the predefined modes list. The values on the lower part of the window should change accordingly.

6) Click the Test button again. If the test still fails, repeat from 4) and select another 800x600 entry (with different Hz), you can test all predefined modes, but the ones ending to VESA are more likely to work.

7) If you find working settings for mode(s) that didn't work previously, Click OK on the Edit Mode window and Save in the Monitors prefs. Altered modes will work after a reboot then.

8) Repeat from 1) for all other modes/resolutions you want to check. For example, 640x480 is also a common mode for games.
  • »14.09.23 - 06:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Screenshot

Yes I have,

What can I do now?

For example, starting from 800x600 modes:

1) Select 24Bit 800x600 from the main window (just like on the screenshot on the left side)

2) Click the Edit button to get the Edit Mode window (right side on the screenshot)

3) Click the Test button. If you get a visible screen with the test picture as the background and a smaller window over it, click the Cancel button on both Edit Mode windows and return to the step 1) and repeat for the 8Bit 800x600 and 15/16Bit 800x600 modes. A working test picture screen indicates that the mode is OK and it should work with other software too.

4) If the Test fails and you get the "Out of Range" message from the monitor with no visible image. Try to press the Esc if it'd close the test screen, and if not, reboot the machine (IIRC the Esc used to quit the test, but I'm not sure anymore)

5) After a failed test, open the Edit Mode for the same failing mode again, and click the "800x600 (60Hz, 37.9kHz) VESA" entry from the predefined modes list. The values on the lower part of the window should change accordingly.

6) Click the Test button again. If the test still fails, repeat from 4) and select another 800x600 entry (with different Hz), you can test all predefined modes, but the ones ending to VESA are more likely to work.

7) If you find working settings for mode(s) that didn't work previously, Click OK on the Edit Mode window and Save in the Monitors prefs. Altered modes will work after a reboot then.

8) Repeat from 1) for all other modes/resolutions you want to check. For example, 640x480 is also a common mode for games.

Thanks JVP!!!

But I tried various screenmodes with VESA and no luck,it even doen't allow me to exit from the "Out Of Range" black screen.

Can I do something now?

I am dying to play MAME and Genesis Plus too,including too swrxz and Smokin'Guns.

And I apreciatte a lot the mini-guide you gave me!!!

Very good work!!
  • »14.09.23 - 12:51
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bearerofthetorch wrote:
    Can I do something now?

Try to find your monitor model, it usually reads somewhere back of the monitor or you can see it in on-screen menus. Then we can google what modes it is supposed to support.

Quote:

And I apreciatte a lot the mini-guide you gave me!!!

Very good work!!

Maybe I'll add the guide to the MorphOS Library :)
  • »14.09.23 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website