Problem with Shift key
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello,

i have a problem with SHIFT key.

I used it for the files multiselection but seems now it used by default to open contextual menu.

It has changed since MorphOS 3.18? It's a specification for Powerbook?

I have changed the action in MorphOS prefs but i think SHIFT is very usefull for the files multiselection.

Thanks for your answer.
  • »29.06.23 - 10:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Not sure about that, but Shift-Click, which resembles the right mouse button when clicking on the touch pad was added to powerbook settings a while ago.

It replaces the commodity "ShiftClick", which got removed a long time ago, but never was replaced.

the new function probably eats away the shift key when multi selecting.

This is the only thing I can think of.
  • »29.06.23 - 12:20
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    And if someone else is looking how to disable this feature, it is found in "MorphOS Preferences -> Mouse -> Open menus by ...". You can disable it completely or select some other qualifier key (Alt/Command/Ctrl).

I don't remember if those other qualifier keys have other actions when clicking files (besides controlling how to open dirs), but at least I do use the Shift key for multiselect a lot, so in my opinion the default key could be something else.
  • »30.06.23 - 08:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Papiosaur - I agree, the SHIFT key is very useful for multi-selecting files, and is one of the paramount key functions in PageStream, so having it open menus is a change that I hadn't noticed, but I have amended it in Prefs, so Control is the MENU opening key when used with the left mouse button, which is how it works on Mac OSX AFAIK, where many Mac users have never upgraded to a 2 or more button mouse in over 30 years. :-o ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.06.23 - 10:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Thanks to all for your answers, i have changed the default prefs.

Maybe choose another key for the contextual menu will be better in fact.

But i don't know which :-) Maybe CTRL or SHIFT + CTRL?
  • »30.06.23 - 18:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    AFAIR, the original ShiftClick tool used the Control key qualifier by default despite its name ...
    It was possible to reconfigure it to use left shift, though.
  • »30.06.23 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There are no qualifiers left to avoid some collisions and this is only enabled by default on laptops.

Quote:

It has changed since MorphOS 3.18? It's a specification for Powerbook?

No, it's the default for many many years now.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 30.06.2023 - 20:30 ]
  • »30.06.23 - 19:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote: But i don't know which :-) Maybe CTRL or SHIFT + CTRL?
    I don't think there is an option to have Shift+Control, or any other dual key qualifier only one choice of a single key qualifier. :-(

Actually with my iMac (A1145) and MacMini (A1103 - 1.5GHz) I have deactivated the option in the Mouse settings as I value the Control or other qualifier key usability more highly with other programs and functionality than tying it to a specific system function that would interfere with those other keys uses.

In fact I seem to remember that with most PowerBooks there is a two finger simultaneous tap action on the trackpad that emulates the right mouse button functionality, so even with that system I would not use the referred to mouse option. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »01.07.23 - 02:31
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    There are no qualifiers left

Technically it does not need to be a qualifier key. Could be any normal key. And what about the FN key?
  • »01.07.23 - 07:27
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Other maybe not so obvious possbilities:

shift (or other qualifier) press followed by release (no other key/button events in between) -> toggle RMB state.

dual use of some key:

press key (dont generate inputevent), release key (generate one press keyboard inputevent and one release keyboard inputevent).

press key (dont generate inputevent), press button (generate RMB press mouse inputevent), release key (noop), release button (generate RMB release mouse inputevent).
  • »01.07.23 - 07:47
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Indeed, fn would be pretty cool. I was surprised about Apple's fn-f for full screen.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.07.23 - 18:56