Vanilla RA and VanillaTD
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    I've released version 1.0 1.1 of my MorphOS port of Vanilla RA from the Vanilla Conquer project, which can be downloaded here.

What is Vanilla RA? To quote the readme file:

Quote:

Please excuse the funny wording the in the following paragraph, but the source
    code license - which you can read an exerpt from at the end of this file -
    requires some linguistic gymnastics.

This archive contains the "Vanilla RA" part of the Vanilla Conquer project
    which, together with the data files from Red Alert, allows you to play a game
    that's very similar to Red Alert, but isn't Red Alert.

I've now also released version 1.1 of my MorphOS port of Vanilla TD from the same project, which can be downloaded here

With a similar disclaimer as for Vanilla RA, here's what Vanilla TD is and isn't according to its readme file:

Quote:

This archive contains the "Vanilla TD" part of the Vanilla Conquer project
    which, together with the data files from Command & Conquer, allows you to play
    a game that's very similar to Command & Conquer, but isn't Command & Conquer.

Also thank you to Stevo for the icons for both ports!

Changes in version 1.1:

• Fixed a rendering issue in the TinyGL backend when using a 4:3 or 5:4 screen.

• Initial release of Vanilla TD.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »08.03.23 - 05:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Wow, that's really great! Works like a charm on my powerbook :-D
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »08.03.23 - 08:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    This is so cool!

It's runs so smoothly and the scaling to full screen makes a big difference.
    Thanks bigfoot!
  • »09.03.23 - 05:49
    Cool_amigaN
    Online installer worked great, however I get constant flashing on top / bottom screen (black part) and if I move my mouse pointer there it ghosts it .. MorphOS 3.17, latest tinygl and SDL (does it use SDL?) on Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (ahem.. flashed :/)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »09.03.23 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Online installer worked great, however I get constant flashing on top / bottom screen (black part) and if I move my mouse pointer there it ghosts it

Sorry about that, I'll fix that for the next update. Just out of curiosity, what kind of monitor / screen mode are you playing on?

Quote:

(does it use SDL?)

No, it doesn't.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »10.03.23 - 04:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Thanks Mark for your prompt reply,

I am using a Dell 19' 5:4 LED DVI - P1914S (btw which I strongly recommend for anyone into classic 80s, 90s gaming as it looks really great), with 1280x1024 screenmode at 24bit depth.

Let me know if you need any info in addition.
  • »10.03.23 - 08:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    No other info needed. In fact, I sent you an updated binary via email a few hours ago, but you might have to look in the spam folder for it :)
  • »10.03.23 - 11:07
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    Quote:

bigfoot schrieb:
    No other info needed. In fact, I sent you an updated binary via email a few hours ago, but you might have to look in the spam folder for it :)

I've got the same problem, too. Apple Studio Display 17" in 1280x1024 on a Powermac G5 and MorphOS 3.17.
  • »10.03.23 - 12:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:

I've got the same problem, too. Apple Studio Display 17" in 1280x1024 on a Powermac G5 and MorphOS 3.17.

PM me your email address and I'll send the updated binary to you too :)
  • »10.03.23 - 13:18
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    Quote:

bigfoot schrieb:
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:

PM me your email address and I'll send the updated binary to you too :)

Done. Thanks in advance :)
  • »10.03.23 - 13:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Twiggy
    Hi,

Great work on this. It seems to run pretty well!

Only thing I get are slightly odd colours. Almost like the saturation is messed up, everything is green!

Anyone else had this? PowerBook G4
  • »10.03.23 - 15:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Twiggy wrote:
    Hi,

Great work on this. It seems to run pretty well!

Only thing I get are slightly odd colours. Almost like the saturation is messed up, everything is green!

Anyone else had this? PowerBook G4

When you're in a game, please go to the options menu (top left corner button), select "Game Controls", then "Visual Controls" and first of all make sure you didn't adjust any of those sliders by pressing "Reset Values", but then also try to change "Pixel Depth" to 24bpp and see if that makes a difference.
  • »10.03.23 - 15:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

Thanks mate, got it, it was indeed in spam folder. Checked it and works great (no flashing), passed couple of missions with Soviets, dear comrade :P
  • »10.03.23 - 16:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Thanks mate, got it, it was indeed in spam folder. Checked it and works great (no flashing), passed couple of missions with Soviets, dear comrade :P

Only a couple of missions? давай, давай!
  • »10.03.23 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    I've released version 1.1 of Vanilla RA as well as my port of Vanilla TD. I've updated the first port of this thread with the relevant info.
  • »13.03.23 - 13:34
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Just a typical confirmation that both RA and TD ver. 1.1. work perfectly on 5:4 1280x1024 resolution :)
  • »17.03.23 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Twiggy
    Latest version seems to work fine for me. Only thing is I only have a few of the songs on the music player? I used my original CDs.

Still, plays great and I'm really enjoying it!
  • »30.03.23 - 07:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Twiggy wrote:
    Latest version seems to work fine for me. Only thing is I only have a few of the songs on the music player? I used my original CDs.

Still, plays great and I'm really enjoying it!

In Red Alert, which in-game songs are available depends on your progress in the game. More songs get unlocked the further you get into the game. Which songs are available also depends on if you're playing Allies or Soviet. If you start a skirmish, you'll find all the songs are available to play.
  • »31.03.23 - 07:41
    Profile Visit Website