Need help running DeluxePaint V
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    ok, I am trying to get a HDF file working with E-UAE for about 1.5 hours now... but my "harddrive" does not appear on my WB :(

I followed this guide: Mingos

basically I need to add in config:

hardfile = rw,:<Path to hdf image>,0,0,0,0,0,

it does not show up on WB.

Another guide: Manualzz
    says syntax is:

hardfile2=rw,DH0:PROGDIR:HardFiles/HD160.hdf,32,1,2,512,1

it does not show up on WB, either !

So both are wrong, maybe?
    I managed to add a "HardDisk Folder" (this shows up on WB), but I want to use HDF file for the WB

Man, I am getting old(er) over this crap...

[ Editiert durch Elowan 12.08.2022 - 23:24 ]
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »12.08.22 - 22:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Ok, I tried many combinations and only thing I get is:

"Not a DOS disk in device DF0"

This is how my config line looks:

(Hardfile2) rw,DH0:Work:E-UAE_1.0.0-JIT/HardFiles/aos.hdf,32,1,2,512,10,
    (Filesystem2) rw,DH1:Work:E-UAE_1.0.0-JIT/HardDisks/Work

This is E-UAE log:

Quote:

E-UAE 1.0.0
    Build date: Mar 14 2018 01:13:08
    Opening cfgfile '.uaerc'...failed
    Opening cfgfile 'T:rhLaunch.uaerc'...okay.
    obsolete config entry 'sound_bits'
    Invalid filesystem/hardfile specification.
    Timebase frequency: 19.017379 MHz
    Rexx port "UAE" installed.
    Building CPU table for configuration: 68020/881
    1866 CPU functions
    Building CPU function table, 45954 opcodes (3 0 0).
    JIT: Building compiler function table.
    JIT: Allocation of translation cache...
    JIT: Translation cache size in prefs: 8192
    JIT: Allocated 8192 KB translation cache.
    JIT: allocated 1760 KB macroblock buffer.
    AMIGFX: Using a 16-bit true-colour display.
    Sound driver found and configured for stereo at 22050 Hz, buffer is 8820 bytes.
    Driveclick init...
    reset at 0
    JIT: Compiling reset
    PAL mode, 50Hz (h=227 v=312)
    chipmem cleared
    SERIAL: period=372, baud=9600, hsyncs=16 PC=f8020c
    JIT: Change cache emulation: enabled
    Fastmem (32bit): mapped @$10000000: 32 MB Zorro III fast memory
    Card 1 (ZorroIII) done.
    Filesystem: mapped memory @$e90000.
    Card 2 (ZorroII) done.
    PAL mode, 52Hz (h=227 v=295)
    PAL mode, 50Hz (h=227 v=312)
    Mounting uaehf.device 0 (0):
    FS: mounted HDF unit DH0 (0000-08000000, Work:E-UAE_1.0.0-JIT/HardFiles/aos.hdf)
    Trying on public screen...
    AppWindow started.
    AMIGFX: Using a 16-bit true-colour display.
    display enabled

Any ideas why I get error regarding HDF file?

I made one with WinUAE and another one with "createFile"on MorphOS - both give the same error(s)...

oh man ... :(

[ Editiert durch Elowan 13.08.2022 - 00:01 ]
  • »12.08.22 - 22:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Just my 50 cents on the topic, but you need to format the adf files using the format feature, for example using Ambiet (using file image control to insert a media first) or the workbench on the emulation, where the emulator already has the adf file inserted.

The result from e.g. createfile is just an empty disk like you would bought back then.

This applied of course to HDF files, too. The file is an hard drive content emulation and a computers operation system needs to format and partition them so data can be stored on them.

[ Edited by geit 13.08.2022 - 02:10 ]
  • »13.08.22 - 01:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You dont need hardfiles! Make a direktory on a MOS SFS-Parition with your Workbench and point to this with the same syntacs as in my config-file - thats all!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »13.08.22 - 03:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

geit schrieb:
    Just my 50 cents on the topic, but you need to format the adf files using the format feature, for example using Ambiet (using file image control to insert a media first) or the workbench on the emulation, where the emulator already has the adf file inserted.

The result from e.g. createfile is just an empty disk like you would bought back then.

This applied of course to HDF files, too. The file is an hard drive content emulation and a computers operation system needs to format and partition them so data can be stored on them.

[ Edited by geit 13.08.2022 - 02:10 ]

Yes, this is what I was about to do. Created empty HDF file to format and partition it from WB in the emulated Amiga.
    This worked for me in FS_UAE and WinUAE - but E-UAE on Morphos does not seem to be able to do anything with it.

I try to format it with the Morphos tools, but they seem to work only for connected Harddrives, the is no way to format "hardfiles", I think?

Cheers
  • »13.08.22 - 17:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 schrieb:
    You dont need hardfiles! Make a direktory on a MOS SFS-Parition with your Workbench and point to this with the same syntacs as in my config-file - thats all!

Yeah, folders are shown on the emulated amiga as floppys - dont know if I can install
    WB into this - I mean - normally you would have to format and partition a harddrive (emulated or real)
    to install WB to, right?

From my experience with WinUAE and Fs-UAE using normal folders instead of hardfiles sooner or later
    corrupts the emulated amiga system and Workbench gets really funky...

but I have found no way to get this .HDF file working in E-UAE - so maybe going with folders is kind of last resort...
  • »13.08.22 - 17:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    >> using file image control to insert a media first

> I try to format it with the Morphos tools, but they seem to work only
    > for connected Harddrives, the is no way to format "hardfiles", I think?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13212&forum=9&start=6
    https://library.morph.zone/Tools/FileImageCtrl

Oh well... I think I forgot to "insert media" first ;)

But here is the thing:

Like I stated before, going with "HardDisk Folders" instead of hard files can give some trouble.
    I tried to install some Amiga programs into such a folder and the installer gave me errors after
    installing a few part of the whole program. Tried with another prog and it aborts install as well.

If I install the same progs onto my Hardfile HDF it all works perfectly!

SO - I think there is a problem with UAE-configuration or my Morphos Harddrive (it is a 8GB PATA SSD) has issues.

I hope I can setup a folder to transfer things back´n´forth between MorphOS and AmigaOS.
    If I go with the Syntax Amigaharry2 provided, folders get not even mounted.
    I need to add a few things to the config to make them even show up on Amiga WB.

Anyway - I have two working HDFs now, that will be enough for what I need.

One thing I noticed, in UAE the Command Keys do not function as Amiga Keys. I remember they work
    within Fs-Uae on my MacBook out of the box - so maybe I need to add something to E-UAE config
    to make the CMD Keys behave like Amiga Keys?

Cheers!
  • »15.08.22 - 09:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Oh well... I think I forgot to "insert media" first ;) [...] I hope I can setup
    > a folder to transfer things back´n´forth between MorphOS and AmigaOS.
    > [...] I have two working HDFs now, that will be enough for what I need.

You can do this transfer with HDFs as well, if you mount them on MorphOS. You may have to make sure to not write to them from MorphOS side while mounted within UAE and vice versa.
  • »15.08.22 - 11:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > Oh well... I think I forgot to "insert media" first ;) [...] I hope I can setup
    > a folder to transfer things back´n´forth between MorphOS and AmigaOS.
    > [...] I have two working HDFs now, that will be enough for what I need.

You can do this transfer with HDFs as well, if you mount them on MorphOS. You may have to make sure to not write to them from MorphOS side while mounted within UAE and vice versa.

great, thank you so much!

I figured out a syntax that works now, for invoking folders as "hard disks" - so I can read and write into a MorphOS folder now :)

but good to know, that HDF transfer will work as well (in case I mess up my Amiga install and need to access the drive from the outside so to speak)

It was kind of a rough journey, but now I got a very fast Amiga WB emulation up and running - now I need to fine-tune a few things. I noticed there is a "Key press Tool" (on Amiga WB side) that shows what keys are registeredm when pressing them.

Thing is, the "Apple-Keys" do not register as "Amiga Keys" in fact, they do nothing at all. CTRL, ALT and Shift are working as expected. Would be nice to get the Apple/Amiga key connecting running, because I like to use Keyboard shortcuts a lot.

I am not sure, if NumPad-Keys can be emulated as well (I remember some DPaint Tools, like Perspective for example) are driven by them. On A600 (so no Numpad) there is a workaround, but can't remember what it was ...

Maybe I should post this kind of questions in another category of this forum, since the main "quest" is done now?

Cheers and thank you all :)
  • »15.08.22 - 11:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Sorry for late answer (I am back in EU since today).

Yeah, folders are shown on the emulated amiga as floppys - dont know if I can install
    WB into this - I mean - normally you would have to format and partition a harddrive (emulated or real)
    to install WB to, right?

No - it's much easier as you think!
    Just make dir and copy the content of your Workbench inside! UAE reads those dirs. Host-harddrive can formated in any filesystem, which MOS can read.
    Then point Sys to this directory in UAE-Prefs

filesystem=rw,Sys:Work:UAE/Sys_uae

This points to my 3.1-WB, installed in directory UAE/Sys_uae on my drive named Work:
    In UAE it appears as "Harddrive" named SYS: and boots from there.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »17.08.22 - 20:57