Suggestions for next version of MorphOS
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello all,

i open a thread to purpose new features for MorphOS.

1. When i want to delete an item (drawer), a request is open in the center of the screen.
    It will be possible to open this requester in the center of the window containing the drawer to delete please ?

[ Edité par Papiosaur 04.06.2022 - 22:21 ]
  • »04.06.22 - 18:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    super!

I have to intercede for old things, please... :

- more modern sata.device (on Pegasos 2 with SiI 3xxx cards and probably others ). Device identifies disks like UDMA5=100MB/s and it is incorrect and slow. Have to be at least UDMA6. And sata.device have no S.M.A.R.T feature.
    - support for second device on Efika ide.device. Efika firmware supports it, MorphOS unfortunally not. I tested it here..
    - and support for 1 Gbps PCI card will be also fine.
    - support of "eject" and play Audio on USB connected CDs.

I know, I wrote about this several times, but maybe sometimes...

[ Edited by sailor 04.06.2022 - 19:38 ]
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »04.06.22 - 18:30
    Kronos
    @Papiosaur

That would be an Ambient feature, but IMO it would make more sense to have requesters appear at the current mouse position

@sailor
    2nd IDE on the EFIKA might be nice but I don't see that much demand for it.

Same with 1Gbps Network cards, would only be useful for older PMAC G4s and Peg1s as everything else has 1Gbps onboard.
  • »04.06.22 - 18:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @Kronos
    - agree with 1Gbps NIC, it is not so much needed and it only applies to slow computers, which cannot do much more over 100 Mbps due to slow CPU

-but for Efika it will be great, becouse of possibility of connecting CD/DVD and made Efika also CD player. And it is very very old debt, which MorphOS have here.
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »04.06.22 - 18:48
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    I used to use some commodities or scripts on Amiga OS 3.x that would "Close all windows" and "Click to Front". I haven't really found equivalents in MorphOS. Those were pretty useful. Maybe they exist, I just haven't located them for window manipulation.
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »04.06.22 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    An uptodate RSS client. Like Iris or AmRSS, but with support for latest SSL sites.

An uptodate Tag Editor for MP3, FLAC, OGG and so on files, like MP3Tag for Windows. RNOTags is quite nice, but a bit sluggish in handling and it only supports MP3.
  • »04.06.22 - 21:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

IKE wrote:
    I used to use some commodities or scripts on Amiga OS 3.x that would "Close all windows" and "Click to Front". I haven't really found equivalents in MorphOS. Those were pretty useful. Maybe they exist, I just haven't located them for window manipulation.

In the MorphOS preferences, in IControl, under hotkeys you can set a hotkey for "Active Window: To Front. Click in the text field next to it, then press the left mouse button once and wait a second. It should now say "mouse_leftpress" in that field, and if you save (or use) the settings, it will automatically put any window you click in to the front.

Similarly there is also an "All Windows: Hide" option that doesn't close all windows, but at least hides them. There's then also hotkeys to show either a single hidden window or all hidden windows, which are ctrl+lalt+u and ctrl+lalt+a by default.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »05.06.22 - 07:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    - and support for 1 Gbps PCI card will be also fine.

I'm not convinced that it would be super useful in an Efika, but if you're willing to get experimental, you could try something like the StarTech ST1000BT32. Seems to be keyed for universal PCI operation, and it uses the Realtek 8110SC chip, which there is a chance would work with the existing MorphOS Realtek 8168 driver.

But let me just make this very clear: There's no guarantee that this card will work, so trying it is taking a little bit of a chance. Luckily it's not very expensive.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »05.06.22 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    - support for second device on Efika ide.device. Efika firmware supports it, MorphOS unfortunally not. I tested it [url=https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?

The MorphOS driver seems to (intentionally) limit itself to only scanning for a single unit. The Efika is so far back in the past that I have no idea if there's a good reason for this or not, but if a second unit works for you in Open Firmware, then possibly not. If you're willing to be a guinea pig, then I could prepare a modified MorphOS 3.17 boot image which also attempts to use a second unit on the internal IDE controller for you to test.
  • »05.06.22 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    I'm not convinced that it would be super useful in an Efika, but if you're willing to get experimental, you could try something like the StarTech ST1000BT32. Seems to be keyed for universal PCI operation, and it uses the Realtek 8110SC chip, which there is a chance would work with the existing MorphOS Realtek 8168 driver.

But let me just make this very clear: There's no guarantee that this card will work, so trying it is taking a little bit of a chance. Luckily it's not very expensive.

I am not sure if it will be useful in Efika (she is not filful 100 Mbps, in real she have 60 Mbps ). But it will be useful in Pegasos 1 ( with builtin 100 Mbps NIC have real 90 Mbps with 60% CPU utilization ) and old Powermacs.
    Anyway thank you very much for the tip, I will try it and know the result.
  • »05.06.22 - 08:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    The MorphOS driver seems to (intentionally) limit itself to only scanning for a single unit. The Efika is so far back in the past that I have no idea if there's a good reason for this or not, but if a second unit works for you in Open Firmware, then possibly not. If you're willing to be a guinea pig, then I could prepare a modified MorphOS 3.17 boot image which also attempts to use a second unit on the internal IDE controller for you to test.

I think the reason was that simply no one just counted on the other device.
    I will gladly test the image and everything else that will be needed.

@bigfoot
    I appreciate that, things like this are not common in today's world

[ Edited by sailor 05.06.2022 - 09:36 ]
  • »05.06.22 - 08:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    IIRC the reason for the limit to only one device is in the printed specs of the 5200 ide controller. The specs say it is not designed to work with cables longer than 10 cm and a 2nd device.
    The design intention for the 5200 was one ide device attached directly.

Enabling the driver to look for a 2nd device will probably not hurt much. Those few users that still have an Efika are probably competent enought to figure out if a 2nd device will lead to instability and - if so - detach the 2nd device again.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »05.06.22 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    In past I read several times the MPC5200b Datasheet, Users Guide and Users manual, and nowhere mentioned only one device.

There is mentioned only:
    - only one ATA controller
    - ATA ver. 4 compatible.
    Note: Two devices per controller supported from ATA v.1, two controllers from v.2, v.3 adds S.M.A.R.T, v.4 adds support for CD (ATAPI)
    - low controller current
    - short cable needed
    - missing CSEL signal - i.e. pin 28 not connected.

It means we need:
    - external power for IDE bus
    - short ( I have 5 cm ) 44-pin ATA cable with three connectors M-F-F, crossed pairs between M and F
    - setup disks (or IDE-SATA converters) with jumpers to master and slave.

All was tested with IDE HDD and IDE-mSATA converter + mSATA SSD. Prooved in Open firmware, link is in post #2 above.
  • »05.06.22 - 13:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Made Morphos open source and let everbody use it on any hardware want and in any way want
  • »05.06.22 - 16:41
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    Made Morphos open source and let everbody use it on any hardware want and in any way want

AROS is open source. You are free to make it work like MorphOS and use it on any hardware you want.
  • »05.06.22 - 17:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @sailor:

I also wrote a long time ago to MOS-Team for 2nd IDE-Channel on EFIKA. 2nd channel works flawless with Linux (and OF of course)! If you have enough place in your case, 2 HDs are possible. Better way is to use a Dual-CF-Adapter. Big CF-Cards are'nt cheap - so it makes sencs to use 2 smaler Cards in EFIKA.

BTW: I want also a RS232-device on EFIKA. Then I can use it as a mesuarement-device. This does'nt work with USB2Serial (timing problems). That I also wrot ot the team, long time ago.......

----------------

And (Christmas is not sooo far away) support of DualCPU in G5............but I think that won't happen before MOS 4.0......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »05.06.22 - 20:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > support of DualCPU in G5

Why restrict to G5? PowerMac G4 and X5000 would benefit from some kind of AMP/ASMP (I take it you don't mean compatibility-breaking SMP) as well.
  • »05.06.22 - 22:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    I'm dreaming big here, maybe v4 or v5.

- New network stack for general faster browsing / downloading. It's painfully slow at the moment
    - Class complaint USB driver for sound ( One driver should enable a bunch of external USB sound cards etc. as it's a global standard used by most newer interfaces )
  • »06.06.22 - 07:33
    Kronos
    I see 2 ways to do "Dual CPU":

1) something like PowerUP where you have a small API to start computational tasks that can be scheduled to the 2nd CPU/core but will also be able to run on single CPU systems. G4, G5, X5000

2) do the whole monty, make it proper SMP go 64Bit (bye bye G4) and maybe even AMD

It would be ideal if 1) could be done in a way that it turns out to be a stepping stone for 2) but that would require it to be 64Bit ruling out running these on anything G4 and maybe even on single core G5s.
  • »06.06.22 - 07:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @Kronos

I agree that standart SMP not strictly needed. I think that Asymmetric Multiprocessing was there before SMP and it worked.
    From my poit of view is good to use any system of multiprocessing which means less work for developers and preserve most of compatibility.

And regarding the 64-bit, what advantage it will have to switch to 64-bit only? MorphOS have no many applications ( if any ) which runs out of 32-bit address space. I think we don't need 64-bit from technical point of view. Maybe a little advantage can be, if 64-bit code runs faster than 32-code on 64-bit CPUs, but I am not sure if it is true.
    Even windows and linux not break backward 32-bit compatibility. And G5s are not 64-bit only, they can execute 32-bit instructions and have support for 32-bit OS.
  • »06.06.22 - 08:41
    Kronos
    @sailor

MorphOS team is very small and everything that is been done today should be done in a way that makes sure you don't have to use those small resources later on to fix the shortcomings of that 1st effort.

ASMP,SMP or whatever will only be useful if apps get coded for the new APIs and these apps should continue to work if and when the next step towards a modern OS is taken.

While it is true that no MorphOS app runs out of !!31Bit!! address space that is because they are restricted by those 31Bit. Wayfarer for sure could utilise more than the 1.8GB available on G5 and as such an "NG" API should be 64Bit to ensure forward compatibility for any code written with that API.
  • »06.06.22 - 08:51
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    I vote for easiest AMP multicore support and 64bit OS extensions.

Anyway as simple thing to do I'd like to have in a next version Ambient drag and drop files issue fixed.
    When I manage files in text lists instead of icons, multiple files/drawers are selected instead just one i want.
    When I use to manage files via icons on Ambient all seems to be right.
    It's a very very old bug.
  • »06.06.22 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    I vote for easiest AMP multicore support and 64bit OS extensions.

Anyway as simple thing to do I'd like to have in a next version Ambient drag and drop files issue fixed.
    When I manage files in text lists instead of icons, multiple files/drawers are selected instead just one i want.
    When I use to manage files via icons on Ambient all seems to be right.
    It's a very very old bug.

Hah! For me never having an Amiga, I thought the behaviour you described in the list view with drag and drop is normal!

It's also a small thing that irritates me, I have to very careful to just select the one file and drag it perfectly horizontally otherwise it just selects more files and off they all go :-)
  • »06.06.22 - 09:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I see 2 ways to do "Dual CPU":

1) something like PowerUP where you have a small API to start computational tasks that can be scheduled to the 2nd CPU/core but will also be able to run on single CPU systems. G4, G5, X5000

2) do the whole monty, make it proper SMP go 64Bit (bye bye G4) and maybe even AMD

Pretty much spot on. I've already considered doing the first suggestion a number of times, but I always weigh up the amount of effort needed versus potential benefits. Very few things would end up using secondary cores on a system, and the main one I can think of, video playback, can better be accelerated in different ways.

Quote:

It would be ideal if 1) could be done in a way that it turns out to be a stepping stone for 2) but that would require it to be 64Bit ruling out running these on anything G4 and maybe even on single core G5s.

The "NG" kernel I wrote, which is what is/was used to run MorphOS on AMD64, does already support SMP on the X5000. Just to avoid confusion: This is purely on the kernel side of things so far, MorphOS programs can't access the other cores.

[ Edited by bigfoot 06.06.2022 - 11:10 ]
  • »06.06.22 - 10:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    An uptodate RSS client. Like Iris or AmRSS, but with support for latest SSL sites.

The RSS Feeds widget in RNOWidgets does work with HTTPS feeds, but yea, it's not a full-featured reader if that's what you want... but for more casual feeds checking and opening links in a browser it should be fine.

Quote:

An uptodate Tag Editor for MP3, FLAC, OGG and so on files, like MP3Tag for Windows. RNOTags is quite nice, but a bit sluggish in handling and it only supports MP3.

I wrote RNOTags reliability and features in mind, rather than speed at that point, so I guess there could be something to optimize. Where does it feel most sluggish for you (reading, using, writing)? I have already written the read support for FLAC and OGG metadata for other programs... but don't know yet if I'd try to implement the write support in RNOTags... OGG is quite PITA, but maybe for FLAC some day...
  • »06.06.22 - 11:30
    Profile Visit Website