No networking on 14" iBook G4 1.42 GHz (mid-2005)
  • Just looking around
    Biggus
    I swear, networking on Amiga OS wannabes is the bane of me. Same story with ICAROS and now this.

So what I'm using is supposed to be supported hardware, both its ethernet and WiFi chips. Now MorphOS seems to "see" them just fine but I can't seem to connect to the internet through either ethernet or WiFi. I'm not going to install and THEN wait to register, I'm going to register before installing... which I can't currently do. If you want specifics I can just get some application to get detailed info about my hardware, but since it's stock, it still has its original AirPort Extreme card. No I'm not going to do a visual inspection because that would require me to remove everything.

I don't know if I'm using hardware that's too new (but I doubt I am because this OS apparently supports G5 PowerMacs) or if I'm missing something "simple" somewhere (and feel free to call me dumb if I am).

EDIT: After tearing it apart, reconnecting the antennas to the WiFi card, figuring out that no, the ethernet plug wasn't dead but the pins were bent out of shape, bending the pins back TO shape, registering through ethernet and a WHOLE load of swearing, wireless is working on MorphOS... thank all fuck for that. Now I'll leave it to stew for half an hour with the keyfile in (hopefully) the right path to see if it'll work.

knowing my luck, though, it won't

BUT thanks for the suggestions anyway.

[ Edited by Biggus 16.01.2022 - 16:42 ]
    Just an amateur hobo with a degree in professional alcohology.
  • »01.01.22 - 18:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If it's a mid 2005 iBook then it's probably the Apple iBook G4, 1.42GHz 14-Inch (Mid-2005), Apple identifier: M9848LL/A - classed as the PowerBook6,7 - A1134 - is that correct? :-?

If so, it should have compatible wireless/airport hardware built-in, but do you know which chipset is on the installed card or the actual card model e.g. Apple A1127 card, that's fitted inside the device?

There are a few incompatible Apple wireless cards, like the A1026 and A1126, due to the Broadcom chips on them, I believe.

However, the A1027 Apple Extreme, and the A1127 Apple Extreme/bluetooth cards are believed to work OK, but even if you use an ethernet connection then it should be fairly simple, with most home networks, to setup a valid broadband connection using DHCP. :-D

Hope to hear back you've managed to get it working as it should be fairly easy to do so, but if you've got any further issues then just ask for more help, and I'm sure someone will provide you with any further advice you may require to allow you to achieve a solution to your current problem. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.01.22 - 01:45
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    When you boot from the installation media (live-CD), networking isn't active automatically. You'll have to visit the Network settings to make it connected.

How about if you do exactly like this:

1) Have an ethernet cable connected from a router/switch that's turned on to the iBook
    2) Turn on or reboot the iBook (do this to make sure it detects the cable connection)
    3) Open from the pull-down menu Settings -> System -> Network (default settings should be eth0/dynamic IP address, which should be fine and no need to touch anything, just open the prefs page)
    4) Click the Use button to activate the network
    5) Wait little and close the Preferences application window
    6) Open the Shell and type "ping 8.8.8.8", does it report ms values or some errors?
  • »02.01.22 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    If this is an ongoing problem for you and ethernet isn't working (which should be foolproof), you may have a weird setup. Is it just a hardware router connected to the internet, or are you using Windows connection sharing or something more unusual?
  • »02.01.22 - 14:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Biggus wrote:
    I swear, networking on Amiga OS wannabes is the bane of me. Same story with ICAROS and now this.

So what I'm using is supposed to be supported hardware, both its ethernet and WiFi chips. Now MorphOS seems to "see" them just fine but I can't seem to connect to the internet through either ethernet or WiFi. I'm not going to install and THEN wait to register, I'm going to register before installing... which I can't currently do. If you want specifics I can just get some application to get detailed info about my hardware, but since it's stock, it still has its original AirPort Extreme card. No I'm not going to do a visual inspection because that would require me to remove everything.

I don't know if I'm using hardware that's too new (but I doubt I am because this OS apparently supports G5 PowerMacs) or if I'm missing something "simple" somewhere (and feel free to call me dumb if I am).

Be aware that these old apple devices cannot deal with certain Wi-Fi frequencies. Same goes for first gen iPhones. You need to ensure that the access point is FIXED to a frequency. AFAIR it is channel 9 and up or 11 and up. Just set your AP to 5 with old devices and you are done. Someone here probably knows the exact channel limitation.

Same goes with modern 5GHZ wifi. I had several devices (IoT) that connected fine and was redirected to 5Ghz afterwards for some reason, which of course failed.

[ Edited by geit 02.01.2022 - 17:05 ]
  • »02.01.22 - 16:04
  • Just looking around
    Biggus
    Oh by the GODS the hard drive died so I had to remove everything to change it, which is why I've been thoroughly ignoring this thread. Anyway I confirmed a few things:

of COURSE it wouldn't connect to WiFi because antennas weren't actually connected to the card. fixed, working on Tiger.

the ethernet port is... dead. I don't know how, I get nothing when connecting a cable that just works on every other device I own.

of course, I should've checked both beforehand but how often do you reconcile with yourself that it's a good idea to sick the modern internet at a 17-year-old device? I just downloaded stuff and used a FireWire HDD to move them between it and a 2008 macbook...

I suppose what's left to do is find some dongle
  • »05.01.22 - 10:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Biggus wrote:
    I suppose what's left to do is find some dongle

...and that would be tricky as well. At least I don't know any USB network card working with MorphOS.
    You could bypass the faulty WiFi by using a nano-router set up as client and connected through Ethernet cable but as your Ethernet port doesn't seem to be work... ouch.

You'd be better off with a PowerBook - at least they have a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot and some wireless cards are known to work with MorphOS.
  • »05.01.22 - 15:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Biggus wrote:
    of COURSE it wouldn't connect to WiFi because antennas weren't actually connected to the card. fixed, working on Tiger.

Give it another try on MorphOS then, perhaps?
  • »05.01.22 - 15:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Biggus
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Biggus wrote:

Give it another try on MorphOS then, perhaps?

It's going to be a while, due to personal stuff and finals... but I'll definitely give it another go.
  • »05.01.22 - 17:51