Best file system to use SFS/PFS/ICE?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Did some reading and it seems that Ice isn't a reliable solution. PFS has a 2 gig file limit. SFS is limited to 128 GB partitions.

Going to be using an SSD in a PowerMac G5 and was looking for the fastest, most stable, and has least limitations. From my reading there is no silver bullet.

What does everyone use and recommend?
  • »02.04.21 - 15:28
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Did some reading and it seems that Ice isn't a reliable solution. PFS has a 2 gig file limit. SFS is limited to 128 GB partitions.

Going to be using an SSD in a PowerMac G5 and was looking for the fastest, most stable, and has least limitations. From my reading there is no silver bullet.

What does everyone use and recommend?

Never tested ICE, but looking at this guide
    https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems

It seems NOT to be bootable on Macs :(

So PFS
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »27.04.21 - 18:04
    polluks
    If you have to salvage/repair a partition, you don't want a 128+ GB one...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »27.04.21 - 18:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

vox wrote:

The only bootable FS on Macs is HFS. That's where the boot.img has to be. The OS itself may be installed on SFS/PFS/ICE/FFS.
  • »27.04.21 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    I went with SFS for the System and Work partitions and used a spare SSD formatted in ICE. ICE has been very reliable thus far. I'm using it for large movie files. Interestingly I had to use a USB device to move the large files over, SMBFS stopped copying at 4 GB.

I was a bit surprised that a lot of HD content doesn't play smoothly with mplayer. Using a PowerMac 2.3 GHz, SSD, and a X1950 Pro (AGP), I would have though more HD content would have played better. Even dug up VLC for Morphos and that didn't help. Would upgrading to a newer/faster PowerMac make a big difference for playing movies?
  • »28.04.21 - 12:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Since ICE was brought up. Has development on that file system cooled off or is it frozen at the moment?
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »28.04.21 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @matt3

Do you have lavdopts=skiploopfilter=all in conf/config?
  • »28.04.21 - 18:12
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    I did it. Thanks!

Quote:

zukow wrote:
    @matt3

Do you have lavdopts=skiploopfilter=all in conf/config?
  • »01.07.21 - 18:40
    matt3
    Findings:

First a Fast SSD even if it isn't "compatible" with the G5, makes a enormous difference in performance in Wayfarer. I tested my SSD that many use and is compatible with a PowerMac and a SATA 3 SSD that isn't. Wayfayer runs so much faster. I installed the OWC Black Sata III as a second device and for the most part it runs fine. If you turn it off, it may not see it and you will have to repeat to get it. If you warm reboot it is very reliable and works every time.

I do wish that a 3rd party SATA III controller was compatible with MOS, it would bring speed and options to the Power Mac.

Now on to the file system findings:

ICE - Works really nice with large movie files that won't work with any of the other file system because the are greater than 4 gigs. It seems very reliable for this purpose. If you put any transaction activity intensive program with small files like wayfayer on it and ICE will fail in a short period of time. So for large movie files that don't do much ICE will be your go to.

PFS3 - I have had very good luck so far with PFS3, even formatted a 250GB partition using the 'BETA' version of PFS3 and it works perfect thus far. Cranked the Buffers up to 600. I did find that I had to use the PFSFormat supplied with PFS to get it working. If I just formatted with the native MOS format, the partition would disappear upon next reboot. One other issue is that the PFS Repair doesn't seem to work with the 'BETA' version and large partitions. I do prefer this to SFS because I have many years with it and very comfortable with it. So far it has been bullet proof and hasn't failed. One last kudo to PFS is that is seems much friendlier with AMI-Back that I'm getting working reliable (at least until my Power Mac started acting up!).

SFS - This did get a bit funky when I ran the repair. This may be because I don't have much experience with it and don't know what I'm doing but the repair didn't seem to work.

[ Edited by matt3 01.07.2021 - 14:06 ]
  • »01.07.21 - 18:55
    analogkid
    Never mind

[ Editiert durch analogkid 02.07.2021 - 06:51 ]
  • »02.07.21 - 05:50
    KennyR
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

The only bootable FS on Macs is HFS. That's where the boot.img has to be. The OS itself may be installed on SFS/PFS/ICE/FFS.

And even on Pegasos the firmware only supported FFS and SFS - and just FFS on Pegasos1.

I'm surprised people don't know all this.
  • »03.07.21 - 17:57
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

The "Bootable" column at https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems is meant to indicate if a filesystem can be used for booting the operating system itself (setting the "bootable" flag in HDConfig), not related to boot.img loading.

I thought that ICEFS can't be used as the system partition... at least it used to work for that only when installed on RDB, but on Mac partition table it had to be mounted with a mountlist (and thus can't be used as the bootable system partition). Has this changed or am I mistaken completely?
  • »06.07.21 - 13:52
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    @jPV
    Maybe we should add another column?
    There's an old Amiga term "Kickstarting", it's before you try to boot ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »07.07.21 - 22:22