Posts: 32 from 2013/12/12
From: Hjortkvarn Sweden
After a freeze of my Power Mac G5 (on MorphOS), I'm not able to boot it anymore. Here some informations:
- I can access to the Open Firmware with Cmd+Alt+O+F and the boot menu with Alt.
- But the boot process stay forever in a light grey screen (for MorphOS) or on Apple logo (for Mac OS X).
- If I disconnect the two hard drives, the machine show a question marks (?). I know it's a normal behaviour.
- If I insert the MorphOS CD and try to boot it, it go nowhere (grey screen).
- I copied the files of the MorphOS hard drive on another machine. All the partition and files were OK.
- I entered the Open Firmware to erase the nvram with the following commands:
...it was all ok but the "reset-all" command. It takes very long and the fans get crazy after 3-4 minutes so I shut up the machine (should I have waited for more?)
- Strange thing, after the first attempt to erase the nvram, I was able to boot Mac OS X once and only once. After less than one minute, Mac OS X diplayed a transparent black window indicating I must shut up the machine.
- Since then, others attempts to boot fails. No MorphOS, no Mac OS X.
I updated to the last verion of morph os and pretty much have the same symptoms..
The powerbook died. Something very wrong with the latest verion.
I can not say anything ghood about the last version since its tends to kill any computer it is installed in.
I Did try new CD and New DVD. Will not boot from USB.
All after the new verion currently dirtributed.
No tips on how to restore from this state of dead powerbook either.
Hard drive is not recogniced anymore and it will not boot from CD/DVD or USB so there is no way in to the computer anymore. Thanks to the latest version of Morph OS.
Should get my registration fee back I think.