New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Wayfarer sounds like a constant source of typos and mispronunciations, I like it!

:-D

Quote:

Was able to compile the whole of WebCore last night, which brings the thing to being about 95% done in terms of # of sources compiling for MorphOS. Mind that this doesn't mean I'll have a browser soon ;) The next step is writing a WebKitLegacy layer - this is the part that Fab mostly got from Orygin. Hopefully it'll take no more than a couple of weeks to have a simple webframe working.

Excellent, well done! My G5 and my PowerBook are in storage back in the UK and I'm missing my MorphOS fix. The race is on to see whether I'll go back and grab the PowerBook before you have an alpha browser. If I was a gambling man I'd put money on me losing that bet. lol
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »27.02.20 - 19:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @ jPV

Well, now I've got it!

Here it comes:

[drum roll]

-> The Browser

:-)

Someone earlier wrote:

"Firefly (From the TV-series with the same name which actually had a rather cool atmosphere. It takes place on Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. And more important: It could also connect to Firefox and the MorphOS logo (butterflies fly) at the same time. I suppose a really cool logo could be made with this (butterfly, flames), signalling it's a MorphOS browser.)"

I like this name (as well as the TV series and later, fan sponsored movie "Serenity"). I'm sure a cool logo tying the well known Firefox browser and MorphOS butterfly could be created.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.02.20 - 04:29
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Before "Odyssey" was "Troy", not very helpful :-(
    How about "OWB 2"? :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.03.20 - 21:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I would call it Pathfinder - to find the path in www.....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »01.03.20 - 23:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    This is fantastic news. Donation sent.
  • »01.03.20 - 23:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Thank you for all the donations!
  • »02.03.20 - 00:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    Really nice news, keep up the good work @jacadcaps !!
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »02.03.20 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Pity Jacek,
    As web playback is adequate on G5s for the most part
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.03.20 - 02:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Pity Jacek,
    As web playback is adequate on G5s for the most part

I think what would really rock in a browser would be WebGL but that requires OpenGL-ES 2.0 or better. I don't think TinyGL is up to it.
  • »04.03.20 - 02:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It's not about TGL. It's about the graphics card that are predominant and often cannot be replaced (aka mini, PowerBooks, etc).
  • »05.03.20 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    rushpat
    Do you plan to make the source and build instructions available when it is released? Also, what is your dev environment now?

Thanks!
  • »05.03.20 - 18:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

rushpat wrote:
    Do you plan to make the source and build instructions available when it is released? Also, what is your dev environment now?

Thanks!

I guess you are asking because you want to know if the MorphOS community will be able to update and maintain the new browser, in case jadacaps becomes too busy with other projects, am I right? I recently sent jadacaps a donation, primarily to encourage him to continue working on this new browser, but also for his work on the Iris email program, and all the work he does on MorphOS itself. I hope that other users are doing the same, as it is very generous that all of the MorphOS Dev. Team members give us so much of their time, to create MorphOS and software to run on it, and rarely ever ask for anything in return.
  • »05.03.20 - 20:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Do you plan to make the source and build instructions available when it is released?

Sources will eventually land on github, I believe, but not necessarily open to everyone. For now I want to focus on this myself, with the help of the rest of the MorphOS Team. That said, anyone who feels like he can make a meaningful contribution should feel free to approach me.

The pre-requisites are mostly the same as with Odyssey (a couple of things like libicu, cairo or freetype had to be updated, but we've done this already). Other than the linklibs you need GCC 9 with ObjectiveC and libstdc++ that has threading features enabled. This project really stress tests the whole SDK and so far most of the related diffs are actually in compilers, binutils or libnix and not WebKit itself. I'm obviously cross-compiling all this...
  • »05.03.20 - 21:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

This project really stress tests the whole SDK

That is a good thing!

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.03.20 - 21:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Why won't the MorphOS Team go the Patreon model? If that is too sticky, why not the most active members of the team have Patreon pages? I'm not a Patreon guy. The only Patreon I'd do is MorphOS projects.

[ Edited by redrumloa 05.03.2020 - 21:12 ]
  • »06.03.20 - 03:11
    Kronos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    NewSense & tolkien: thank you!

I've absolutely no idea how it's going to be called.

O(mitted) W(ebGL) B(rowser) !!!!
  • »06.03.20 - 16:06
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    V'Ger (see StarTrek)
  • »06.03.20 - 19:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    So, there is good news and bad news.

The good is that I was able to link a project that references a WebCore::Page and implements quite a bit of WebKit interfaces (even if they're mostly placeholders).

The bad news, is that the resulting binary is already over 80MB, meaning memory requirements of the new browser will likely be ~1GB. Mind that the binary doesn't actually do much past instantiating a WebCore::Page, so it's bound to grow a lot by the time it starts resembling something usable.

Next step: figure out the minimal route to load & display contents, the dumbest way possible, just to verify that the WebCore internals are working.
  • »19.03.20 - 01:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Doffo
    For whatever reason, audio doesn't playback from online SDR radios like websdr.org . You see it going and all that, but it relies on HTML5 audio. Chrome itself won't work with it for whatever reason they have it disabled, but only works under firefox. Maybe the browser can support the audio on websdr.org would be nice. :)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »19.03.20 - 03:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    A clean instance of Opera, which has all bells and whistles enabled, eats roughly 300MB of memory. The desktop version of Safari appears to be in the same ballbark.

So, 512MB of total system memory might be a bit tight while browsing so the 1GB memory requirement sounds quite plausible.

For Iris, it might actually make sense to stick with the older Webkit. It is not like HTML emails would require the latest generation of browser engines to display properly. (Thankfully.)
  • »19.03.20 - 05:36
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @jacadcaps

Whoa, sounds like a huge task! :-o Good luck! :-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.03.20 - 12:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Maybe the browser can support the audio on websdr.org would be nice. :)

Only if someone else does this. My starting point isn't Odyssey, it's plain WebCore. At this stage it'll be a huge success once I manage to actually render a HTML page into a BitMap. And an even bigger one once I can actually type into input boxes.
  • »19.03.20 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    So, there is good news and bad news.

The good is that I was able to link a project that references a WebCore::Page and implements quite a bit of WebKit interfaces (even if they're mostly placeholders).

The bad news, is that the resulting binary is already over 80MB, meaning memory requirements of the new browser will likely be ~1GB. Mind that the binary doesn't actually do much past instantiating a WebCore::Page, so it's bound to grow a lot by the time it starts resembling something usable.

Next step: figure out the minimal route to load & display contents, the dumbest way possible, just to verify that the WebCore internals are working.

I'm guessing that MorphOS for x64 will NOT have the same RAM limitation that MorphOS for PPC inherited from AmigaOS compatibility, so our MorphOS for x64 systems will be able to utilize much more than 2GB of RAM, and you won't have to worry about your new web browser's appetite for using RAM. But it is probably too much to hope that with the MorphOS Dev. Team concentrating most of their efforts on the x64 version of MorphOS, most members of the team will not want to spend time and effort to create any kind of extended memory for the current PPC version of MorphOS? Such discussions of how, and if any hack to extend memory for the current version of MorphOS have surely been had several times in the past and the answer has always been "NO", apparently, but until the G5 hardware was supported, there was little need to consider spending time trying to figure out a way to extend the RAM capacity of MorphOS, because "MOST" supported systems could not physically have more than 2GB of RAM on the hardware.

Can you give us any information regarding discussions the team has had in the past about the possibility of creating some kind of "extended" RAM for the current PPC version of MorphOS, after support for G5 systems that can have up to 8GB or 16GB of RAM installed on the motherboards?
  • »19.03.20 - 18:55
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    After the "odyssey", we can make a "journey" on internet

"Journey"? Maybe Voyage? Hey, how about "Voyager?" :D

Now, seriously. If we're in the Greek mythology zone - there's been another epic journey: Jason and the Argonauts, in pursuit of Golden Fleece. So I propose "Argo".

Loved the old VaporWare Voyager NG, so Voyager would be nice.

Its great to see AROS has advanced to x64 as well as MorphOS has its inner workings, that will eventually bring this new "Voyager".

Either supporting Nemo or AMD64 will surely bring my license. No space to buy new machines.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I'm guessing that MorphOS for x64 will NOT have the same RAM limitation that MorphOS for PPC inherited from AmigaOS compatibility, so our MorphOS for x64 systems will be able to utilize much more than 2GB of RAM, and you won't have to worry about your new web browser's appetite for using RAM.

Surely, that would be the point of going x64 :)
    Or PPC64 too as a branch? (G5, Pa Semi and x5000 CPU?)

[ Edited by vox 21.03.2020 - 10:13 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »21.03.20 - 10:11