Pegasos II CPU Getting Warm
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Right, so I dig out my Peg2, used it perfectly fine about 3 months ago, and after about 10 minutes the OS froze, and wouldn't boot up again.

Messed around with it a bit and found out it was dead stable when I put a fan pointing at the CPU/Motherboard, take it away, and the heat sink gets hot and it freezes won't boot up again. Same with both MorphOS and Am*gaOS4.1.

The fan on the CPU is working, it's a replacement but it's been on it, for like years. I think it's the CPU running hot than it should, rather than a problem with the cooling, I'll double check but I think the heatsink is making good contact to the CPU.

Can this get fixed? I've vague memories of something like this happening before, and someone fixing it?
  • »13.10.19 - 12:44
    KennyR
    Try replacing the thermal compound before you do anything else. It's cheap and often the first culprit on older machines, as it dries out over the years.
  • »13.10.19 - 14:15
    stephen_robinson
    I finally got around to having a good look at this, the heatsink was on correctly, I've changed the heatsink to some of that fancy Artic Silver 5, put the old noisy fan back on, and it was, if anything worse. Heatsink gets warm, runs OK with a big fan pointing right at it, lasts about 10 minutes with no big (external domestic) fan on it.

I think I'm going to give up on this thing :(
  • »24.10.19 - 21:39
    polluks
    Well, I am missing a Pegasos temperature sensor at all.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »25.10.19 - 00:56
    stephen_robinson
    I've given up, I need to downsize my collection anyway so I've slapped it on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352837968580

Priced to sell. As they say.

I only noticed that white material on the bottom of the Mainboard when I taking the photos? Wonder what that is?

BTW What's the best way to transfer ownership of MorphOS so their name will come up on the registered to bit?

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 30.10.2019 - 10:10 ]
  • »30.10.19 - 11:09