External USB modem and MorphOS
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hi all,

I would like to use a 56k traditional modem from MorphOS, for some traditional dial-up BBSing.

I have an external modem which I would have liked to have used, but from reading forums here it looks like the PL2303 USB>RS232 drivers in Poseidon might be buggy and that it might be a safer bet to find a supported USB external modem (neater too, I suppose).

Two questions then:

1) Has anyone got a PL2303 adaptor working on MorphOS for the purposes of linking to an external modem?
    2) Or has anyone used an external USB modem from MorphOS, and if so can they recommend a model?

Many thanks!
  • »04.07.19 - 07:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I think the actual hard part will be getting MiamiDX to run since our Netstack's modem support has been deprecated. OK, you can probably get things to work with Netstack and netconfig, but it'll involve a bit of tinkering.

Remember to post here once you get past the hw issues and I'll try to have a look at the stuff required to bring a modem up...
  • »04.07.19 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    The USB-serial driver isn't very well tested (because nobody has really used it), but the serial driver may be fine. I have actually (just once) used a dialup modem with my Pegasos 1 (using Miami, pre-netstack days). I also once had a router with a serial port with dialup modem support for backup.

I once upon a time used my 56k modem as a backup if my cable internet went down, which it did fairly often for a whole day. I gave that up when 3G came along, mid naughties, along with everyone else.

You don't have a true serial port, I'm guessing?

Be warned, getting a 56k modem working again on any system these days is not easy.

[ Edited by KennyR 04.07.2019 - 15:35 ]
  • »04.07.19 - 15:32
    KennyR
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    OK, you can probably get things to work with Netstack and netconfig, but it'll involve a bit of tinkering.

I could be totally wrong Jaca, but I believe Netstack never supported PPP protocol or CHAP authentication, even though was based on a stack that did.
  • »04.07.19 - 15:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    You may try Roadshow 68k...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.11
  • »04.07.19 - 16:28
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Thank you all for your replies.

I didn't think I needed to consider Miami/Roadshow TCP-IP stuff. I don't want to do dial-up internet (do ISPs still offer that?) - just connect to dial-up BBSes.

If you use a program like NComm, or BBS software like Max's BBS, you point the software to the serial device, and that then sends data directly to/from serial. You can generally change the settings in these programs so they use something other than serial.device - e.g. if you had a Zorro multi-serial port card which might have its own serial device.

I was thinking that Poseidon would, when happily linked to a USB modem or a PL2303 adaptor, funnel the data to serial.device or an equivalent, that a serial program could then use - happily oblivious to the USB aspect behind the scenes.
  • »04.07.19 - 20:10
    KennyR
    Well, you probably could dial up to a non-internet BBS from a standard serial terminal if you know how to enter all the modem AT strings and commands and the modem accepts them.

Can't help you there I'm afraid. All quite a bit before my time.

Edit: But you're right... even a USB to serial adapter should be able to do this as long as you set the correct baud and bit format in the serial terminal.

[ Edited by KennyR 04.07.2019 - 20:43 ]
  • »04.07.19 - 20:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    zukow
    One thing regarding modems,

Some MorphOS releases ago i added support for switching 3g modems to cdcacm.class using modeswitch data file:
    http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/device_reference.txt
    It still needs dialer but if you have working dialer, you can connect to the internet .......
    without dialer you can talk to device using Term and AT commands.
  • »04.07.19 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Very interesting! I didn't know such things existed. This will be another avenue to explore if I don't have any luck with a phone line connection.
  • »04.07.19 - 22:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

Ginger1 schrieb:
    I was thinking that Poseidon would, when happily linked to a USB modem or a PL2303 adaptor, funnel the data to serial.device or an equivalent, that a serial program could then use - happily oblivious to the USB aspect behind the scenes.

What about telser?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.11
  • »05.07.19 - 15:43