SSD not recognized on G5
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Papiosaur schrieb:
    Hello all,

i've bought a SSD Kingston and after installation, HDConfig don't show it...

Any idea ?

Thanks

[ Edité par Papiosaur 06.04.2019 - 12:30 ]

Some SSDs - especially recent SATA rev 3.0 ones - simply don't work because they are not recognized by the old G5 SATA h/w, sadly ...
    It is next to impossible to give any recommendation which SSDs work and which don't, though.
    I have both a Kingston SSD (HyperX series 120GB) which works just fine while another (more recent "A400" series one) doesn't work at all.
  • »06.04.19 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    i will try to format it on a PC and retry...

This will not work.

AFAIR, PowerMacs only support SATA-I connections. Unfortunately, some new disks will only work in either SATA-II or SATA-III mode and cannot downgrade to SATA-I mode, therefore they cannot be used with your PowerMac's onboard SATA ports.
  • »06.04.19 - 15:17
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Maybe an update of the firmware exist and support the new SATA specifications?

I am afraid this is not how this works. This is not merely a software issue.
  • »06.04.19 - 15:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello all,

i've bought a SSD Kingston and after installation, HDConfig don't show it...

Any idea ?

Thanks

[ Edité par Papiosaur 06.04.2019 - 12:30 ]

A SATA to IDE connector and connection into an IDE slot. Probably the only way you're going to get it to work.
  • »06.04.19 - 17:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It is next to impossible to give any recommendation which SSDs
    > work and which don't

This thread has some successfully tested recommendations, including SATA3 ones.
  • »06.04.19 - 18:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Some SSDs work fine if you just don't try to boot from them. ;-) Seems an OpenFirmware thing? So now I am booting the G5 from a DOM (Disk on Module) connected to the PATA port. Afterwards the SSD works fine from the G5s SATA. On another G5 I got the SSD on a SiL SATA controller via PCI, works equally fine on Linux as on Morphos (but you can't boot from it either).
    Talos II Secure Workstation. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 7,3. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.11 / Gentoo Linux] | A1200. ACA-1233, Indivision AGA Mk2. [Amiga OS 3.2]
  • »06.04.19 - 19:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    On my G5, I have an SSD and when I use it thoroughly (to compile), MorphOS crash (it freezes) frequently. While on the powerbook, I have no problem.

I wonder if putting an SSD drive in the G5 (in SATA) is a good idea .....
    PowerMac 2.7ghz MOS 3.10
    PowerBook 1.5Ghz MOS 3.10
    My MOS ports
  • »07.04.19 - 07:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    koszer
    Quote:

beworld wrote:
    On my G5, I have an SSD and when I use it thoroughly (to compile), MorphOS crash (it freezes) frequently. While on the powerbook, I have no problem.

I wonder if putting an SSD drive in the G5 (in SATA) is a good idea .....

I do have an SSD drive in my G5 (it's the Apple TS256A) and I have no problems with it.
  • »07.04.19 - 09:16