Cloanto vs Hyperion - Who will Win?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Just a simple stupid poll to amuse the bystanders who are waiting for the court case this December (or a settlement prior to that time). Who do you think will win the legal case between Cloanto vs Hyperion Entertainment, and why do you feel that way? Also, if you want, leave some comments about what you think will happen next, after the case is concluded, or settled out of court. Where is my popcorn?

Edit: Where did the "Poll" options go?

[ Edited by amigadave 18.03.2019 - 09:22 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.03.19 - 18:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Either Cloanto will win outright, or they will stupidly feel pity and settle out of court to keep from bankrupting Hyperion.
  • »18.03.19 - 18:32
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Pancakes.
  • »18.03.19 - 19:34
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Lawyers.
  • »19.03.19 - 07:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    Lawyers.

Hopefully not a Belgian one.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »19.03.19 - 10:14
    Kronos
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Pancakes.

Wrong.

Belgian waffels with Italian ice cream.
  • »19.03.19 - 12:27
    KennyR
    The thing about Ben Hermans is that even if he loses (and he usually does), he makes sure he's seeded enough distrust, hate and bitterness, and drawn things out so long, that the winner loses 95% of their potential market.

So win/lose is not really a dichotomy.
  • »19.03.19 - 16:39
    hooligan
    It's a fifty-sixty chance either will win, I'll tell you that
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »19.03.19 - 16:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

I'd consider the possibility of neither. And I don't mean in regards to jury decision assuming it still gets approved for jury trial as requested.

• »19.03.19 - 17:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > he usually does

If this was true it would have been over a decade ago.
  • »19.03.19 - 20:46
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > he usually does

If this was true it would have been over a decade ago.

It was over a decade ago. He's just being trying to claw back the debts he made since then.
  • »19.03.19 - 20:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> he usually does

>> If this was true it would have been over a decade ago.

> It was over a decade ago.

He didn't lose to the Amiga Parties in 2009.
  • »19.03.19 - 21:09
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> he usually does

>> If this was true it would have been over a decade ago.

> It was over a decade ago.

He didn't lose to the Amiga Parties in 2009.

I don't call half a million euros of debt and an end of development of the OS he sued to keep as "winning".
  • »19.03.19 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>>> he usually does

>>>> If this was true it would have been over a decade ago.

>>> It was over a decade ago.

>> He didn't lose to the Amiga Parties in 2009.

> I don't call half a million euros of debt and an end of development
    > of the OS he sued to keep as "winning".

Right, he didn't win either. But he also didn't lose. He may have lost for real and once for all if Kouri had managed to live a little longer.
  • »19.03.19 - 22:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

I'd consider the possibility of neither. And I don't mean in regards to jury decision assuming it still gets approved for jury trial as requested.

I'll be very surprised if it ever makes it to a jury trial. I think that a settlement will be made before then, though I wish it wouldn't. I would like to see what a jury thinks about the actions Hyperion has taken recently, and I would be thrilled if the 2009 settlement were to become void, returning all rights to everything Amiga Inc. ever owned to the current owner, C-A Acquisition Corp., or what ever it is called.

I think a fresh start would be good for everyone (except the owners of Hyperion). How could C-A Acquisition Corp. do any worse than Hyperion has done over the last many years?

I was hoping to get more responses to this thread, to gauge the general feelings on the topic from many of the members here, but just like so many other threads on MZ now, it has gotten polluted with wild claims or statements leading to challenges and the bickering that follows.

[ Edited by amigadave 22.03.2019 - 11:39 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.03.19 - 20:36
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I was hoping to get more responses to this thread, to gauge the general feelings on the topic from many of the members here, but just like so many other threads on MZ now, it has gotten polluted with wild claims or statements leading to challenges and the bickering that follows.

This is a MorphOS website. I think you overestimate how many MorphOS users should and do care about this.
  • »22.03.19 - 21:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: This is a MorphOS website.

That's exactly the point Andreas, and just the reason I'm not getting involved in such a discussion on this MorphOS site. I'd suggest you take this discussion, if there's not one already open somewhere on some Amiga oriented site where you may get more users to discuss it with you, but for me, though I still own my Amiga, and still visit other Amiga sites, that's where I'd expect to see such a thread discussed more intensely, but not here. Move along now, nothing to see here !
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: I think you overestimate how many MorphOS users should and do care about this.

I think it may impact a little on MorphOS, with the SAMxxxx, X1000 and X5000 users being able to use MorphOS on their systems, but they seem all too intent on supporting their own OS, as not many predominantly OS4 developers also make "side-ways" versions of their programs for MorphOS, but often MorphOS developers do offer their software to Amiga users as well.

In any case, the remaining Amiga OS4 users will probably end up seeing no further development of OS4 in the short-term, or even possible that any OS replacement will fail to materialise at all in the long term. I am glad I did not go down the OS4 path.

I am more than happy with MorphOS, and the superb Development Team, that is still developing, improving the experience for us all, and is one of the reasons I just recently registered one of my PowerMac G5 2.3(DP) systems.
    Kudos to MorphOS. :bloons:
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.03.19 - 00:55
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'm quite fed up these kinds of speculation threads, been for 20 years now :) I rather spend my time for more productive things and popcorn for better entertainment. If something happens, then it happens, and I live and adapt with that if it affects to my life. So, I don't care much, but the little I've seen/heard I thought that Cloanto has quite waterproof evidence of their rights, so I'd bet for them :) And if Mike gathers Amiga rights and starts control the trademarks etc under one roof, why not? Sounds better than these past crooks for me...
  • »23.03.19 - 13:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > SAMxxxx, X1000 and X5000 users being able to use MorphOS

MorphOS does not run on the X1000 (and of the Sam4x0 series only on the Sam460).

> often MorphOS developers do offer their software to Amiga users as well.

These may as well be AmigaOS developers offering their software to MorphOS users as well ;-)

> possible that any OS replacement will fail to materialise at all in the long term

What does "OS replacement" refer to?
  • »24.03.19 - 20:18