Your most used 68K software on MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi,

I found myself pottering around with Digital Organiser this evening, and it seemed pretty stable and usable for the short time I was using it. It seems more feature-rich than PolyOrganiser, but the fact that PolyOrganiser is MorphOS-native makes me more inclined to trust it with my data.

This got me wondering...what 68K software do you tend to make heavy use of on MorphOS? Do you have any stability issues with these chosen apps, or do you find them as stable as they were when running on classic hardware?
  • »10.03.17 - 21:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Ginger1 schrieb:
    Hi,

I found myself pottering around with Digital Organiser this evening, and it seemed pretty stable and usable for the short time I was using it. It seems more feature-rich than PolyOrganiser, but the fact that PolyOrganiser is MorphOS-native makes me more inclined to trust it with my data.

This got me wondering...what 68K software do you tend to make heavy use of on MorphOS? Do you have any stability issues with these chosen apps, or do you find them as stable as they were when running on classic hardware?

My both most used 68k program are GoldED/Cubic and TV-Paint. But these are rock solid.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.03.17 - 00:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    For me it's CygnusED 5, Toolmanager 3.1, TurboCalc 5, FinalWriter 97 and Remus. These are basically the only 68k software I'm still using on MorphOS
  • »11.03.17 - 05:32
    polluks
    CygnusED 5.60
    ARexx
    Anno
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »11.03.17 - 08:19
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    AREXX
    DOpus 4
    AmiNetRadio
    WordWorth 7
    Cubic IDE
    SAS/C
    Some shell commands

[ Edited by Jeckel 11.03.2017 - 09:49 ]
  • »11.03.17 - 08:42
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    - I'm using DOpus Magellan II (original 68k 5.82) all the time when using MorphOS on my main daily setup (I launch all my programs from its Startmenus instead of Panels, I do all my filehandling and file browsing with it, I have my global hotkeys configured with it, I use it for FTP, etc). No stability issues at all when you know to avoid couple of things. Heavy use indeed.

- I also use ArtEffect 4 a lot for image manipulation, its magic wand and other options are good to tidy up scanned images and creating alpha transparent stuff for my coding projects etc. Practically all true color graphics I do is done with the combination of ArtEffect and Showgirls. Very stable, never crashed.

- I also use PPaint a lot for low color pixel exact graphics stuff. Stable if you avoid couple of things.

- All my photo galleries are made with fxPaint 2's fxAlbum function (I first process digital photos with Showgirls, and then create galleries with fxPaint). Small stability problems with fxAlbum, probably on real machines too. If you're going to re-create HTML-album with many different options, it's better to re-launch the program first, but I just usually select gallery settings from my saved themes, and no problem then.

- Now when I started Hollywood programming, I've been using CubicIDE (GoldED) a lot. It has great support for Hollywood projects. Rock solid.

- All my word processing is done with FinalWriter97. No issues in my use at least.

- ARexx is in heavy use in my system.

- BackUp to make my backups, UpdateCopy too. No stability issues. I guess these could be moved to MirrorCopy or so some day :)

- Occasionally some other small 68k tools like MP3TagEditor etc. Can generate some hits, so I'll reboot after the work is finished just in case.

Still using 68k software quite much...

[ Edited by jPV 11.03.2017 - 11:21 ]
  • »11.03.17 - 09:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:

I often use PersonalPaint 7.1. It has some minor GUI glitches in toolbox.
    From time to time I listen music with SongPlayer 68k. MorphOS native wersion seems to be unstable.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »12.03.17 - 16:01
    serge
    AmiAmp for me.
  • »12.03.17 - 17:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I'm using DosXS a lot. I like it much better than DOpus 4.
    Also Cubic IDE and AmigaWriter.

While we're at it.
    Can we still run m68k apps when MorphOS goes x64?

Manfred
  • »13.03.17 - 16:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Yes, on UAE :D
  • »13.03.17 - 16:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:

While we're at it.

Manfred

If MorphOS on x64 is a new OS that runs older software in a sandbox ala Mac OSX/Classic then what makes it MorphOS other than the name?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »13.03.17 - 22:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:

While we're at it.

Manfred

If MorphOS on x64 is a new OS that runs older software in a sandbox ala Mac OSX/Classic then what makes it MorphOS other than the name?

I'm not sure I understand.

If m68k apps cannot be run relatively seamless then there will be a great lack of applications until some of them have been recompiled (if source is available).

Manfred
  • »14.03.17 - 06:13
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

I'm not sure I understand.

If m68k apps cannot be run relatively seamless then there will be a great lack of applications until some of them have been recompiled (if source is available).

Sure. And it is not only about applications, but also about libraries.
    Some native applications are relying on 68k libraries to handle some features.
  • »14.03.17 - 07:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    We went off again...
    I think, using UAE a much better system could be built.
    Currently only the system friendly apps can be executed. If UAE could be the part of the system (something what Aros guys are trying, but a bit better), we could enjoy almost all apps... and games too... and Octamed... ;)

The coolest feature could be to click on an adf image and it is executed in UAE. Or, clicking on an app, and it starts to run in a preconfigured UAE environment. Like in a sandbox... UAE could be the so called ABox.

But, the time will answer, what the MOS Dev guys have time to accomplish. I still think, that they are qualified developers and we should trust them to plan the future of MOS.
  • »14.03.17 - 07:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The coolest feature could be to click on an adf image and it is
    > executed in UAE.

That's pretty possible now.
  • »14.03.17 - 08:41
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The coolest feature could be to click on an adf image and it is
    > executed in UAE.

That's pretty possible now.

Yeah... But the second is more problematic!

Edit: By the way, in the 21th century, something like WHDLoad should be used since everything is converted now (afaik).

[ Edited by deka 14.03.2017 - 10:13 ]
  • »14.03.17 - 08:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    The original shell 'dir' command from Workbench 1.0. It is pure Commodore code and runs better than the latest dir command. Being that it is pure Commodore code MorphOS recognizes this and brings back the directory listing faster than any ported code in commands like "ls".
  • »14.03.17 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Great insights into your MorphOS usage and lots of interesting older applications getting lots of use. Good to hear!

For myself, I recently discovered Everyday Organiser on Aminet, which is running very nicely. Feels like a MOS native app, thanks to its MUI interface.

Wish 68k SimpleMail was an equally gratifying experience!
  • »14.03.17 - 18:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I would have to say that my most awesome extra exciting/widely used 68k program is Pagestream5Pro. I can't get enough of it and use it millions of times everyday.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »14.03.17 - 21:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The original shell 'dir' command from Workbench 1.0. It is pure Commodore code
    > and runs better than the latest dir command. Being that it is pure Commodore code
    > MorphOS recognizes this and brings back the directory listing faster than any ported
    > code in commands like "ls".

The 'dir' command from Workbench 1.0 does not run at all on MorphOS because it is BCPL code.
  • »14.03.17 - 22:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The original shell 'dir' command from Workbench 1.0. It is pure Commodore code
    > and runs better than the latest dir command. Being that it is pure Commodore code
    > MorphOS recognizes this and brings back the directory listing faster than any ported

The 'dir' command from Workbench 1.0 does not run at all on MorphOS because it is BCPL code.

Indeed. It's also pure Metacomco code as well I would assume.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »14.03.17 - 23:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

LMAO. I was kidding. Did you try it first? LOL

[ Edited by TheMagicM 15.03.2017 - 04:57 ]
  • »15.03.17 - 10:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    I regularly use these 68 Apps:

ARexx
    CubicIDE
    Homebank
    Magellan
    SMBMounter
  • »16.03.17 - 12:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    What about CodeAudio? Does it working?
    I tried to convert some flac files to mp3, but no success until now.
  • »17.03.17 - 11:24