OWB Endianess Issues Bounty Open!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Hi butterfly worshippers!

Bounty is now Open to solve all endianess issues in PPC Webkit Javascript Engine for Odyssey!

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/30646188-odyssey-web-browser-solve-ppc-webkit-javascript-engine-endianess-problems-inherited-from-webkit-x86

This is truly a call to arms for all us Amigans as this problem afflicts all versions of OWB!

Donate to let developers being awarded for solve all endianess bugs!

A browser flawlessly running is necessary condition to let PPC processors continue being used as productive desktop machines!

I created the bounty and just starting collecting money by donating the first 10 US$. At this very moment booty reached 255 US$.

Now it is up to you to let our platform survive!

Donate! Donate! Donate! :)

-----

P.S. Fab, if you are reading this thread, please check Deadwood OWB 1.25 for OS4. He said he solved memory eating bug. Take a look if the solution he found could be applied to MorphOS version too...

Grazie Fab!

Ciao!

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 08.02.2016 - 23:29 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »08.02.16 - 21:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > this problem afflicts all versions of OWB!

...except AROS version on little endian platform :-)

> Deadwood OWB 1.25 for OS4

AROS.
  • »08.02.16 - 22:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

AHAHAH! Whoops! Yes, right! ;-)
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »09.02.16 - 08:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

AHAHAH! Whoops! Yes, right! ;-)
  • »09.02.16 - 08:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    No developer assigned, no limits, no terms of bounty - I won't contribute at all and let me tell you, this bounty will fail, sorry to say that.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »09.02.16 - 09:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    yeah thats exactly what prevented me from donating too
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »09.02.16 - 11:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I want to donate, but it needs clear terms.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.02.16 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

But it needs clear terms.

It needs a developer first. The way this bounty is done can only scare away potential developers..
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »09.02.16 - 15:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'll wait until the terms of the bounty are settled, and then I have no doubt I will support this bounty as we definitely need this issue fixing.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.02.16 - 19:35
    polluks
    What about Big Foot as a programmer?
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=11523&post_id=123988&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »11.02.16 - 19:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    I hate to flog a dead horse buy am I the only one who would prefer a bounty to port the Blink engine to Odyssey?

It's not that much different from WebKit compared to other browser engines and its actively maintained for PPC by IBM, as is it's V8 JavaScript engine.

It's much faster on identical hardware than WebKit too.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.02.16 - 20:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    I hate to flog a dead horse buy am I the only one who would prefer a bounty to port the Blink engine to Odyssey?

It's not that much different from WebKit compared to other browser engines and its actively maintained for PPC by IBM, as is it's V8 JavaScript engine.

It's much faster on identical hardware than WebKit too.

Never heard of Blink engine, but if it is still being actively developed and supported on the PPC platform, and if it is truly faster on identical hardware than Webkit, without having any other short comings, or reasons why Webkit would be preferred by developers working on Odyssey, then I totally agree with Intuition's statement. If we are going to fund a bounty to fix web browsing on MorphOS (and other PPC Amiga inspired platforms), lets do it right and choose the best engine, tools, Javascript, etc., that we can choose.

I appreciate Raf's enthusiasm, but perhaps someone else can help out by modifying the requirements of the bounty to make it more specific. I will support a bounty even if it does not have a specific developer assigned to it yet, but it must have specific goals. I don't ever want to contribute to a bounty that turns out like the one that resulted in the half finished, poorly performing web browser port of Mozilla, that we are all very aware of and was a huge disappointment.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.02.16 - 00:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Never heard of Blink engine

I think you did:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11479&forum=3&start=4

;-)

> perhaps someone else can help out by modifying the requirements of the bounty
    > to make it more specific. [...] it must have specific goals.

The requirements from Deadwood's bounty proposal have been added to this bounty 3 days ago.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7649&start=20#97056
  • »12.02.16 - 09:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    What about Big Foot as a programmer?
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=11523&post_id=123988&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

Talked to Bigfoot some time ago and he said no, as there is still JIT JS to be done.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.02.16 - 13:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Never heard of Blink engine

I think you did:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11479&forum=3&start=4

;-)

> perhaps someone else can help out by modifying the requirements of the bounty
    > to make it more specific. [...] it must have specific goals.

The requirements from Deadwood's bounty proposal have been added to this bounty 3 days ago.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7649&start=20#97056

Your link doesn't show that I've ever heard of the Blink engine before, unless it is showing something different to you, than it is showing the 2 post thread to me (neither post is mine, and I don't see Blink mentioned).

If it was mentioned in any thread that I have made a post in, I missed seeing the mention of Blink, or I have forgotten that I saw it.

I hope that the change in the specifications or description of the bounty also has removed any mention of AmigaOS, or any specific OS, so that people still interested in using and maintaining PPC Mac hardware to run MacOSX10.5.8, or PPC Linux, will also be interested in supporting the bounty, and programmers from those platforms will consider doing the work to fix the problem. Perhaps then the same fix can be directly used, or with little effort, adapted to be used with MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x as well as possibly AROS for PPC.
  • »12.02.16 - 20:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Never heard of Blink engine

>> I think you did:
    >> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11479&forum=3&start=4
    >> ;-)

> Your link doesn't show that I've ever heard of the Blink engine before,
    > unless it is showing something different to you, than it is showing the
    > 2 post thread to me (neither post is mine, and I don't see Blink mentioned).

For everybody not using reversed sortorder it is a link to a 6-post thread showing you as author of comment #5, quoting Intuition's comment #4 talking about Blink.

> I hope that the change in the specifications or description of the
    > bounty also has removed any mention of AmigaOS, or any specific OS

I'm not sure it ever mentioned any specific OS, but it still needlessly mentions "Amigans" and "Odyssey Web Browser".

> so that people still interested in using and maintaining PPC Mac hardware
    > to run MacOSX10.5.8, or PPC Linux, will also be interested in supporting
    > the bounty, and programmers from those platforms will consider doing the
    > work to fix the problem.

In my opinion, also the bounty's restriction to PPC doesn't make sense as the issue affects every 32-bit big-endian platform. PPC should better just be mentioned as prominent example. The larger the potential target group of the bounty, the better the chance that someone will take it.
  • »12.02.16 - 22:12
  • Just looking around
    I've posted my current patch from Leopard WebKit to an issue of the github project for the bounty.
    It's not done against the exact WebKit source revision of the OWB sources but against a different branch that's based upon a somewhat older revision of the WebKit subversion trunk.
  • »01.03.16 - 19:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I've posted my current patch from Leopard WebKit to an issue of the
    > github project for the bounty.

Thanks, that's great. Response from Fab:

"it's good to know he could work on r601 branch and fix javascriptcore endian issue there, as it's much more recent. When my free time allows it, i'll update to this branch and merge morphos code."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40943&forum=2&start=100#779524
  • »03.03.16 - 09:22
    tolkien
    Very good news indeed!!!!
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »03.03.16 - 12:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

internetzel wrote:
    I've posted my current patch from Leopard WebKit to an issue of the github project for the bounty.
    It's not done against the exact WebKit source revision of the OWB sources but against a different branch that's based upon a somewhat older revision of the WebKit subversion trunk.

Great news! From Fab's comment, it looks like we should be getting a new OWB/Odyssey version that is more up-to-date (closer to the most current version of WebKit).

Edit: When Fab (or someone else) has the time to incorporate this fixed code and build a new executable of OWB/Odyssey.

[ Edited by amigadave 03.03.2016 - 15:29 ]
  • »03.03.16 - 22:27