MorphOS Library updates
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @JPV,

My pegasos 2 is 14 1/5 years old, it is steel working. But that is not the case of my powermac g5 2x 2 ghz. I got problems with memory sticks, supposedly not working, after 6 months of use. Now I want to sell it, in france if possibole, complete or by parts, otherwise it will finish to recycling.

I have read your tutorial about open firmware. It is very intersting. But why do not you speak about pegasos 1 and 2, and also about efika, except at the very beginning ? They also have open firmware system, but it is different to the firmware of macs powerpc. Please, do not forget these bplan computers. A friend, owner of a pegasos 2 revision 2b6, asked me if it is possible to boot morphos iso by usb. I do not know the answer. I asked the same question to daff, from obligement, but he too has not the answer. Have you, JPV, the answer to this very particular question, please ?

Brumiga
  • »04.09.18 - 14:12
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    @JPV,

I have read your tutorial about open firmware. It is very intersting. But why do not you speak about pegasos 1 and 2, and also about efika, except at the very beginning ? They also have open firmware system, but it is different to the firmware of macs powerpc. Please, do not forget these bplan computers.

The main reason why I didn't write more about bPlan machines is that I can't test the stuff myself properly, and I want to double check and test everything I write about. I have Pegasos 1 but no other bPlan machines, so I might do some tests on it, but AFAIK it has some differences to the Pegasos 2 firmware, and I have absolutely no idea about Efika.

I also had some motivation/time problems to finish the Mac part, and I didn't want to delay the release even more by starting to learn the Pegasos firmware, which I don't know that well beforehand. I already left something out from my original plan too (Forth bootmenus etc).

I guess the article can be extended later with Pegasos sections etc, and anyone can do it. So someone else with Pegasos 2 could very well do that, it's a wiki page and meant for group efforts, so please go ahead :)

And another reason is that there's already some documentation about Pegasos firmware usage, for example, in Docs/PegasosFirmware.txt on your MorphOS installation. Mac related information was more scattered everywhere, and not even that good pages were found for OSX users either.

Quote:

A friend, owner of a pegasos 2 revision 2b6, asked me if it is possible to boot morphos iso by usb. I do not know the answer. I asked the same question to daff, from obligement, but he too has not the answer. Have you, JPV, the answer to this very particular question, please ?

I've never owned Pegasos 2 and I don't remember seeing instructions for USB booting on Pegs, so I don't know either. My guess is that Pegasos firmware doesn't support USB disks, but it's just a guess. But I guess the last example in my tutorial would work on Pegs too, it's not "pure" USB booting, but if you can load the boot.img from some other device (partition on HD, CD-ROM...) then you can load the actual ISO from USB.

[ Edited by jPV 04.09.2018 - 18:24 ]
  • »04.09.18 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Pegasos Firmware does'nt support USB-boot!
    There is no device-alias or direct path shown. You have to boot boot.img from HD or CD. The rest can boot from USB.
    If anyone knows the exact hardwareaddress and syntax it may be possible to write a forth-program (which can be stored in NV-RAM) to boot from USB.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 04.09.2018 - 19:34 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »04.09.18 - 17:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    In fact, there is even a FreeScale/NXP document describing the Pegasos Firmware:

Genesi Pegasos II Firmware
  • »04.09.18 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    This document is available on MorphOS-Storage too :

http://www.morphos-storage.net/Documentation/Pegasos/Genesi_Pegasos_II_Firmware.pdf

Thanks jPV for this news articles, i will try to translate in French soon.
  • »04.09.18 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I know all these documents, but they are useless for that issue. We need deep internas of FW to do this (Hardwareaddress, location of Filesystem, Syntax to access, and so on). The only one I know, who knows about, is Nicolas Det from Bplan. AFAIK he did a lot to implement FW on Pegasos.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »04.09.18 - 19:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 schrieb:
    I know all these documents, but they are useless for that issue. We need deep internas of FW to do this (Hardwareaddress, location of Filesystem, Syntax to access, and so on). The only one I know, who knows about, is Nicolas Det from Bplan. AFAIK he did a lot to implement FW on Pegasos.

Actually, the Efika firmware version is more advanced than the one found in Pegasos2. And no, you don't need deep internas of its F/W to get USB massstorage working on Peg2, it simply doesn't support massstorage, get along with it ...
    Nicolas Det indeed worked for Bplan and last but not least implemented some FW related code (mostly for Efika, though). The relevant parts in Pegasos2 F/W never got updated, though.

But I didn't want to get off topic here, jPV has without a doubt done a great job updating MorphOS Library with this articles.
  • »04.09.18 - 22:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > pegasos 2 revision 2b6

2B5 was the last revision.
  • »04.09.18 - 23:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Added the Ssh2FS tutorial:
    https://library.morph.zone/Mounting_Network_Drives#Ssh2FS

And:
    Using Multi-display Setups

Thanks to NewSense for proof-reading!

Also updated unofficially supported machines to the Supported Computers list.

Zukow has also added:
    Using the New Printing System

Thanks for all of your work on these articles for MorphOS Library! It is greatly appreciated to have this resource to help users. If you ever need more proof reader help in the future, I would gladly do proof reading of English documents and try to get them returned within 24 hours or less.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.11.19 - 23:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Nice article and at that:

Diavolo Backup for MorphOS

;)

[ Edited by Stevo 31.03.2023 - 22:22 ]
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »31.03.23 - 20:22