PPC Laptop, something for MorphOS?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I'd like the production boards to incorporate MXM

"Regarding the Radeon card, a few days ago ACube confirmed the inclusion of an MXM connector in the notebook."
    https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2017/07/first-engineering-task-started-soon/

Yep, I saw that.
    I never understood the waffling in the first place.
    And I wish Roberto would sign the bloody contract and give Acube the first 4000 euros.

Even if it requires Linux, I'd like to have one.
    Besides, running Linux on a G5 quad core PowerMac, I rather getting used to it.
    "Magnetic was troubled by my avatars and 'satanic' references" - Jim Igou

"Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.07.17 - 01:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wish Roberto would sign the bloody contract and give Acube the first 4000 euros.

"ACube has received a payment to start the study of the components list. [...] Electrical Schematic engineering task started! Starting on Monday 7th, ACube is analyzing that information and will produce feedback and suggestions. [...] Power Progress Community association is announcing the official collaboration of Acube Systems SRL through a contract signature to create the electrical schematics of the GNU Linux PowerPC Notebook. The project involving both organizations will create a PowerPC laptop featuring an MXM video card whereas the current phase is expected to produce the complete electrical schematics for this computer."
    https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2017/08/electrical-schematic-engineering-task-started/

Furthermore from the same source:

"Power Progress Community has provided a possible component list based on non NDA chips to manage usb3, sata3, audio and others."

USB3 and SATA3 means they can't use the USB2 and SATA2 controllers of the T2080 for this. Especially with SATA this means they could use the slightly cheaper (pin-incompatible, so no common board design possible) T2081 instead which lacks SATA. On the other hand, the T2081 has only half the number of SerDes lanes and 1×PCIe3 + 3×PCIe2 instead of 2×PCIe3 + 2×PCIe2, which may be a little short when attempting to provide as much as MXM3, NVMe/M.2, USB3, SATA3, audio, WiFi and Bluetooth. I'm curious whether they will use the T2080 or the T2081.
  • »11.08.17 - 21:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >I'm curious whether they will use the T2080 or the T2081.

I don't think the T2081 was ever a consideration just for the reason you mentioned, the lower SerDes lane count.
    The SATA 3 and USB3.0 controllers are fixations of the Linux promoters, obviously they aren't necessary for an NG OS.

• »11.08.17 - 21:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't think the T2081 was ever a consideration

The published specs say T208x. Why say so if the T2081 hasn't even been considered and it's been only the T2080 all along?
  • »11.08.17 - 22:10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I don't think the T2081 was ever a consideration

The published specs say T208x. Why say so if the T2081 hasn't even been considered and it's been only the T2080 all along?

When we've discussed the feature set they would like to implement, I have tried to remind them of the limitation of the T2080 (let alone the T2081), so I don't know how that got in there.
    I don't prepare releases, but there is simply no way to attach the number of devices they want to use to a T2081.
    You know the specs for that CPU as well as I do.

Frankly, I'd like to see SATA 3 and eSATA support dropped as well.

• »11.08.17 - 23:04