So who gave MorphOS its name?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    I was around when MorphOS was developed. I even remember Piru posting his successes to #AmigaZeux when he got something to compile properly, back in 2002. That was before I even knew or cared what it was.

Someone asked me today who actually named MorphOS, and I realised I don't know. Obviously the whole "Morph" thing and the butterfly is about metamorphosis from the 'old Amiga' to the new, but I never knew who actually picked that name. That part of the history has never been told.

So who was it? Anyone know?
  • »04.08.14 - 23:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    See on Obligement: sorry in french

"Courant décembre 1999 : Voici ce que disait Frank Mariak dans une entrevue accordée à Amiga-News.de à propos du nom de l'OS : "En décembre 1999, l'équipe de développement réfléchissait à un nom pour présenter leur projet au public. Ils avaient plusieurs noms mais ils ont finalement choisi "MorphOS" car l'émulation AmigaOS de leur système permettait de lui donner une apparence différente. Le "Morph" n'avait donc que peu de chose à voir avec la variété de papillons tropicaux, mais le logo représentant un morpho (un papillon bleu) était joli et ils l'ont gardé"."

source: http://obligement.free.fr/articles/chronologie_morphos.php
  • »04.08.14 - 23:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    it was me. i was watching Power Rangers and when they said "It's morphing time" i had this epiphany. I called ralf schmidt and told him about my idea. But some other guy had already suggested him MoronOS as a name, which ralf didnt like at all, so he didnt have an open ear for me. i showed him a clip of the PowerRangers fighting a giant Clown. He was so impressed that he decided to morph himself into the blue ranger. Since then you can find him on Power Rangers conventions running around in blue costumes. I think his fable for morphing and blue colours started around that time.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »04.08.14 - 23:37
    KennyR
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    See on Obligement: sorry in french

"Courant décembre 1999 : Voici ce que disait Frank Mariak dans une entrevue accordée à Amiga-News.de à propos du nom de l'OS : "En décembre 1999, l'équipe de développement réfléchissait à un nom pour présenter leur projet au public. Ils avaient plusieurs noms mais ils ont finalement choisi "MorphOS" car l'émulation AmigaOS de leur système permettait de lui donner une apparence différente. Le "Morph" n'avait donc que peu de chose à voir avec la variété de papillons tropicaux, mais le logo représentant un morpho (un papillon bleu) était joli et ils l'ont gardé"."

source: http://obligement.free.fr/articles/chronologie_morphos.php

It doesn't say who actually named it, only that Ralph Schmidt and Frank Mariak announced it. I knew the butterfly was Morpho. I suspected either of them did name it, but I don't know for sure.
  • »04.08.14 - 23:46
    KennyR
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    it was me. i was watching Power Rangers and when they said "It's morphing time" i had this epiphany. I called ralf schmidt and told him about my idea. But some other guy had already suggested him MoronOS as a name, which ralf didnt like at all, so he didnt have an open ear for me. i showed him a clip of the PowerRangers fighting a giant Clown. He was so impressed that he decided to morph himself into the blue ranger. Since then you can find him on Power Rangers conventions running around in blue costumes. I think his fable for morphing and blue colours started around that time.

You might be confusing him with Captain Pegasos.

And if you're running into him, you're going to the wrong bars.

captainpegasos_1.jpg
  • »04.08.14 - 23:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > See on Obligement: sorry in french [...]
    > http://obligement.free.fr/articles/chronologie_morphos.php

Btw, here is the original German interview:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2000-03-00036-DE.html (English translation by Google)
  • »04.08.14 - 23:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    KennyR! Most frequent poster on this forum! :-P

While I recall a general story similar to the google translate of Papiosaur's post, it doesn't perhaps answer your question?

I don't know myself, but I think it's a *very* clever name, for several reasons. And I really like the logo! :-)

I kind of picture the "Boing Ball" as a dried-up cocoon that after it stopped bouncing, it cracks open, and from which the Morpho butterfly climbs up, spreads its wings, and fly away! :-D

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.08.14 - 23:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Long time no see KennyR :)
  • »05.08.14 - 07:31
    Stevo
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:

Long time no see cato :-D
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »05.08.14 - 09:06
    KennyR
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:

Hey cato! How's life?

I actually died of boredom four years ago. The shell you see before you is simply a collection of old pizza boxes and pencil shavings animated by its sheer hatred of all living things.
  • »05.08.14 - 11:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Uhm... is Gelb going to show up now? :)
  • »05.08.14 - 13:26
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > See on Obligement: sorry in french [...]
    > http://obligement.free.fr/articles/chronologie_morphos.php

Btw, here is the original German interview:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2000-03-00036-DE.html (English translation by Google)

So one of three different possibilities are true:

1) Nobody thought up the name. It was the result of a group-think session. As the results of old group-think sessions tended to fall within 99% of Ralph's ideas, it was probably Ralph.

2) Whoever thought up the name didn't want to get credit. In that case, probably Ralph, who never takes credit for anything.

3) Nobody wants to admit who made up the name in case they get teased. Again, probably Ralph.
  • »05.08.14 - 13:46
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Kuckuck :O
  • »14.08.14 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Quote:

Gelb wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Kuckuck :O

Hey Gelb,

now we need to lure ToDi in here ;-)
  • »16.08.14 - 00:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:

Hey cato! How's life?

I actually died of boredom four years ago. The shell you see before you is simply a collection of old pizza boxes and pencil shavings animated by its sheer hatred of all living things.

Still breathing, but pretty boring here too :) its work, eat, bathroom, watch shitty downloaded tv shows, etc.

I got a glimse of less boredom when i bought a 3D printer 2 years ago and got a few creative brainsparks going :)

Nice to see you again :)
    I see Gelb and Ingo also are alive :)
  • »18.08.14 - 12:30