id Software to release Doom 3 source code
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    The problem with The_Artifact is related somewhat as the bug with "doublevision": Image is showed upsidedown.

The same as the Grabber: When you twist in space objects, image is also downside.

Also the anims at the beginning of Resurrection of Devil and further: FPS go really down in particular instances (like being in front of a portal).

In normal D3 besides doublevision, when you go to Berserker mode all goes downhill.

The functions that add those effects are in PlayerView.cpp ( neo/game/ and neo/d3xp/ ):

Some code for other platforms out there have changes in those functions related to similar issues but still no luck applying it.

This problem was already present with the old tinygl.

Deja Vu. I think that already talked about it.

[ Edited by Cowcat 13.09.2022 - 08:37 ]
  • »13.09.22 - 07:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Deja Vu. I think that already talked about it.

Indeed, comment #112.
  • »13.09.22 - 08:32
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    What is current ProjectUAC MOS_progress?

Any chance of OS3 RTG Software render port, just as tech demo? :)))) Would try it on X13 V2 in lowest settings.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »23.10.22 - 17:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

What is current ProjectUAC MOS_progress?

Still ongoing. No updates on github doesn't mean I'm not testing things.

Wonder what is the state of shaders for this project: Besides the usual suspects, did someone checked SDL2TinyGL53 and recompile the whole stuff ?

Quote:

Any chance of OS3 RTG Software render port, just as tech demo? :)))) Would try it on X13 V2 in lowest settings.

A software render port is out of question. An OS3 warpos minigl port ? Maybe:

- Bypass SDL2 code. Rebuild what is missing.
    - Move out OpenAL stuff: Do an alternative.
    - Bypass the missing opengl stuff in minigl (dare to remove all VBO code and use simple vertex arrays calls. Same with multitextures support, etc): See what happens.
    - Use my MOS sources. Check old idq3 sources. Check other ports. Modify minigl. See my Ami Q3 engines. Modify code.
    - Puke.
    - Pay me some euros ending with 000. No guarantees.

Then:
    - Find a big Amiga box with more than 512mg ram, a beffy gfx card and a souped-up PPC G4.

Result: A slideshown similar visually to the nowadays MOS port and a picture of me going to a Psycho Clinic.

Note: Actually I did a preliminary build of this project with no SDL at all.
  • »24.10.22 - 13:24
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Cowcat wrote:
    Wonder what is the state of shaders for this project: Besides the usual suspects, did someone checked SDL2TinyGL53 and recompile the whole stuff ?

Tried. I managed to get the ARB2 route taken. It sadly explodes with various bad memtrashes at exit or on flight depending on where it trashes. That was a month ago or about. Didn't bothered to fix/tweak the guilty code, was busy with ShaderBoy.

Quote:

Cowcat wrote:

Ho. That's interesting. ^^ Hope you'll get to the end of that soon.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »24.10.22 - 13:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    waldiamiga
    Quote:

Cowcat wrote:

How does it work? Is it much faster? You can show screenshot, video or preferably exe file.:)

MorphOS.pl
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz|2GB DDR2|ATI Radeon 9700M 128MB|SSD 80GB|TFT 17"|MorphOS 3.1x
    Core i7 Notebook|WinUAE 3.x/AmigaOS4.1x & Icaros Desktop 2.x & QEmu 6.x.x
  • »24.10.22 - 14:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    The non-SDL port was one version I had when I started to build the project. Probably with mutated sources from some Q3 engine.

Pretty much it just loaded the menu screen and crashed down the line as it needed more work.

It is long buried in some forgotten dir now.

Question to my memory is if those versions (non-SDL vs SDL) were "different": At that time all I had were glitches at the first level and luck to start the game.

As experiment, one path to take is bypass opengl includes (that call SDL2 stubs) and inline the functions needed and see what happens "today". I did it time ago in some of the render code but didn't find anything special for performance.

I thought about a new non-sdl port just to isolate the shader problems in it besides what SDL2 does. Now it's a little more difficult as dhewm3 evolved but could be easier than an Amiga Warpos version :)
  • »24.10.22 - 16:53
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Appreciate the work CowCat!
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »25.10.22 - 00:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Video of latest TinyGL and SDL / Project UAC r5.

I can't get r6 to load. It crashes with a keyboard error consistently.

https://youtu.be/NpgSbcThzog
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »01.01.23 - 19:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Maybe porting Doom 3 wasn't the best option, because MorphOS and the computers we use are a bit inferior to the needs of the game.
  • »02.01.23 - 08:46
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @Templario: On the contrary, it seems a perfect match for top-notch MoprhOS hardware! ;-)

Doom 3 was released 2004 at a time where single core Pentium 4 was mainstream and 64bit CPUs for regular users still being a niche (Athlon 64, PowerPC G5). >1 Ghz G4 hardware was top notch, G5 was da new hot shit (no poor student could afford at that time ;-) ).

On the Windows side minimum system requirements were Pentium®IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon® XP 1500+, 384MB RAM, DirectX® 9.0b compatible card w. 64MB (Radeon 8500, 9x00 or GeForce 3/4/FX). It was even ported to the original Xbox which had a Pentium 3 733 Mhz CPU + 64 MB RAM + GeForce 3.

I played it extensively on my PC that time which was a bit above minimum specs (but not much) and it ran pretty well!
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »02.01.23 - 09:32
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

I can't get r6 to load. It crashes with a keyboard error consistently.

@IKE I know about this issue with some gfx cards. Still don't know if it's about Dhewm3 or SDL2 upgrades. Have to update some code sources for the game and link all with new TGL and SDL2.

Quote:

Maybe porting Doom 3 wasn't the best option, because MorphOS and the computers we use are a bit inferior to the needs of the game.

@Templario. "Maybe" is a word I use quite often that I have to remind to change to "What if".

"Maybe" -> "If fails, back to what is known": Safe.
    "What if" -> Dare to do things no matter the result. As we don't deal with brain surgery procedures, you're allowed to fail with no harm: Serendipity. Knowledge. Progress.
  • »02.01.23 - 10:17
  • IKE
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    I see CowCat has a new release. Will download and try out this weekend. Haven't heard what progress has been made:

https://github.com/Cowcat5150/dhewm3/
    IKE