EFIKA expandable RAM?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    how do you watch the ram? and what do you delete(cache) to free it up?

I use statline (it's from Tokai).
    Well, there's nothing special to free up memory I guess. When Sputnik drained most ram, i just close sputnik and restart again. Sometimes I also type avail flush into the Shell (to get the last extra bytes).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.09.08 - 09:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    how do you watch the ram? and what do you delete(cache) to free it up?

I use statline (it's from Tokai).
    Well, there's nothing special to free up memory I guess. When Sputnik drained most ram, i just close sputnik and restart again. Sometimes I also type avail flush into the Shell (to get the last extra bytes).

IIRC, avail flush just try to allocate a large amount of memory to force the release of pending memory block like library with usage counter at 0 (nobody is using the lib but it is still in ram). I think It doesn't help much.

To save memory, you can iconify unused window... I noticed that it releases some good chunk of memory.

Be carefull : low mem + uninconify = kaboom if memory shortage (and wrong managment of memory...)

I hope a new release of sputnik will come soon with less flickering and smarter memory usage (and bookmark ?) !

Czk
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »25.09.08 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:

IIRC, avail flush just try to allocate a large amount of memory to force the release of pending memory block like library with usage counter at 0 (nobody is using the lib but it is still in ram). I think It doesn't help much.

To my knowledge avail flush works like that. Often it leads to close to no free mem increase, but sometimes it frees reasonable amounts.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.09.08 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    256 would be a deal maker for me here! The 128MB fixed RAM is the only thing keeping me from getting one now.

Genesi, how about more info on this? I know a lot of people must be on the fence about getting an EFIKA ....

Yes, that's what I think too.
  • »26.12.08 - 20:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    @ PainKiller

You soldered 2 extra chips to your Efika, and it did not start...

Thats quite obvious...

But sure I wonder that you will not tried also to test if Serial DEBUG worked too...

Maybe Serial Debug to PC terminal program could had helped in verifying if the system recognized the two extra chips, before hanging up...

Again serial debugging could had helped in recognizing where in the Open Firmware code there lays the value of maximum RAM, and it could being hacked...
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »29.12.08 - 15:11
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Area of software experties isn't my strong points ;) Does serial debug even work before OF is loaded? Oh well the Efika has already gone to a new home. I'm just waiting for the MacMOS release. That platform makes much more sense :)

[ Edited by Painkiller on 2008/12/29 17:16 ]
  • »29.12.08 - 15:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    SKOLMAN_MWS
    MPC5200 SDRAM Memory Controller Legal Memory Configurations Terminology etc.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/MPC5200UM.pdf
    _
  • »03.08.13 - 04:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

SKOLMAN_MWS wrote:
    MPC5200 SDRAM Memory Controller Legal Memory Configurations Terminology etc.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/MPC5200UM.pdf

Talk about dredging up old threads from the past! This thread died over 4 years ago.

I remember having some very interesting arguments with one of the Genesi employees regarding the feasibility of adding more RAM to the Efika and the ultimate answer was that it would be a violation of the TOS of the device to hack the firmware to accept more RAM, it would be almost impossible to find the right kind of RAM with regard to the timing, and if we wanted Genesi to do the work, it would cost approx. $30,000 US dollars to modify the firmware and IIRC, it would require a new production run of Efika boards as well, though I disputed this last part, as I don't see why our existing boards could not be modified with the additional RAM, as who would design the PCB to "NOT" work with the full complement of RAM that the 5200b CPU and other components on the board could handle?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.08.13 - 20:00
    XDelusion
    As much as I like my Efika and seeing what all I can make it do, I am still amazed that they did not include 512 or at least 256Mb of RAM in the first place. That much RAM could not have been very expensive at the time.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »04.08.13 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    128MB oughta be enough for anybody. Ah... I mean, quite a few devices were shipping with that amount of memory at the time - amoung them, the 1st generation iphone.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »04.08.13 - 23:14
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    It works, but I'm just saying, for some of the games we'd like to throw at it, a little extra RAM would be useful. OWB could certainly use a little RAM as well.

• »05.08.13 - 02:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I remember having some very interesting arguments with one of the Genesi employees
    > regarding the feasibility of adding more RAM to the Efika and the ultimate answer was
    > that it would be a violation of the TOS of the device to hack the firmware to accept more
    > RAM, it would be almost impossible to find the right kind of RAM with regard to the
    > timing, and if we wanted Genesi to do the work, it would cost approx. $30,000 US
    > dollars to modify the firmware and IIRC, it would require a new production run of
    > Efika boards as well, though I disputed this last part, as I don't see why our existing
    > boards could not be modified with the additional RAM, as who would design the PCB
    > to "NOT" work with the full complement of RAM that the 5200b CPU and other components
    > on the board could handle?

boot_wb in another thread agrees with you, at least regarding expanding the RAM to 256 MiB:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9655&forum=3&start=7
  • »17.11.13 - 17:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Sorry, but I don't believe that by buying a device I can be held to the "TOS of the device".
    I didn't buy a service, I bought a piece of hardware.

Therefore, I feel completely comfortable modifying anything I own as long as its for my own use and I do not sell.

If the supplier disagrees, let them sue me.
    It would prove interesting.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »17.11.13 - 18:14
    XDelusion
    That's the sad things Jim, in this little corporate communism that the world is currently embracing, companies like Sony, Apple, and Microsoft (amongst others) actually believe they have the right to dictate to you what you do with the hardware you own, bought, and paid for.

As for Efika, the audio crackling is driving me MAD! I'm considering selling it. The notion of seeing how well MorphOS could perform on limited hardware capture my imagination, but the constant audio issues are enough to kill that particular buzz.

• »17.11.13 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website