New MorphOS user - Quicksilver 933 1.5gb RAM 9600XT
  • Visitor
  • ok, installed tiger + MorphOS.
    some questions:
    1) Why OWB takes a lot of time loading fonts to startup. Is that correct or its something only with me?
    2) Pack Ultimate cannot be installed during the 30 minutes period. What should I do?
    *PS* I don`t want to register now because:
    2.1) This PMac is too noisy and 9600xt (rv300) is not supported yet.
    2.2) IF (of course no one will give us a target date) 9600 support is released on the next version, I`ll probably register it for my pbook 1.67 that I recently ordered from eBay. Still at the customs doe...
    3) is there an IRC channel to discuss MorphOS issues online?

rgds,
  • »29.06.11 - 02:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why OWB takes a lot of time loading fonts to startup. Is
    > that correct or its something only with me?

"At *first* run, OWB will index your truetype fonts directory (MOSSYS:fonts/_ttf by default). This operation can take a long time (expect a few minutes on efika). Once it's done, a conf/font/fonts-<hash>.cache file is created for each configured font directory. [...] It only happens at first start or when you update your fonts. Current OWB version uses FontConfig, which is quite slow at indexing. After that, it should start in a second or so."
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.12.readme

> 9600xt (rv300) is not supported yet.

In 2D it's supported. 3D support is still missing.

> is there an IRC channel to discuss MorphOS issues online?

"For urgent matters, please visit #morphos on the FreeNode network (irc.freenode.org) where you can talk to other MorphOS users and various core developers."
    http://www.morphos-team.net/faq.html
  • »29.06.11 - 02:52
  • Visitor
  • OWB is taking longer than that to start, even after the first run.
    And what about the 2nd question:
    Quote:

2) Pack Ultimate cannot be installed during the 30 minutes period. What should I do?

Can I slice the pack installation? Or download everything on tiger?

New question. I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor. Resizing windows seems a little sluggish. That's the lack of 3d acceleration?
  • »29.06.11 - 14:17
    Kronos
    muffie,
    Quote:

I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor. Resizing windows seems a little sluggish. That's the lack of 3d acceleration?

Probraly, but you should try the "supported" 7500 that came with my QS ....zzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzz ;)

Bout Pack Ultimate, thought I'll give a spin to and as with you I was hit with Beta-Timeout ..... LHA still unpacked at EFIKA-Speed (or OS4 on Peg2 speed
    :flame: ) still plenty fast enough :-D Mind you that is with (2x)1.8GHz Sonnet ......

Won't register that one till:
    - I get working (flashed) Radeon9*** with 128MB
    - sorted out those 5 noisy fans
    - sold my spare Peg2 :-o
  • »29.06.11 - 15:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Or download everything on tiger?

It doesn't matter on which OS you download it as you're supposed to do a reboot before installing the software pack anyway as that's required to reset the 30 minute timer on unregistered MorphOS ;-)
  • »29.06.11 - 15:19
  • Visitor
  • Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

It doesn't matter on which OS you download it as you're supposed to do a reboot before installing the software pack anyway as that's required to reset the 30 minute timer on unregistered MorphOS ;-)

Ultimate Pack takes more than 1 hour to download the files. My idea was to download everything from inside tiger. Is that possible?

Quote:

Probraly, but you should try the "supported" 7500 that came with my QS ....zzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzz ;)

Mine came with the Geforce 4 4600ti! Which was amazing at that time, but... useless now. Not even Core Image is supported.

Quote:

Bout Pack Ultimate, thought I'll give a spin to and as with you I was hit with Beta-Timeout ..... LHA still unpacked at EFIKA-Speed (or OS4 on Peg2 speed

Nice point. What exactly defines the MorphOS slowdown? What is used to slow down it and which operations are affected?
  • »29.06.11 - 15:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ultimate Pack takes more than 1 hour to download the files.

Ah okay, you didn't tell that before. That's why I thought that the time limitation is only a problem for the installation, not for the download.

> My idea was to download everything from inside tiger. Is that possible?

Yes, as I said, it doesn't matter on which OS (or machine) you download it.
  • »29.06.11 - 16:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi muffie :-D

Quote:

Ultimate Pack takes more than 1 hour to download the files. My idea was to download everything from inside tiger. Is that possible?

A solution for your problem :
    Try to download each file manually to a partition with OWB:

http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/ultimate.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/english.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/apps.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/games.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/emulators.lha

After, launch installpack, select your partition name for download destination, select always ok when it possible (installer see each file already present in your destination partition ), after extraction begin.

Pack Ultimate 1.6.5 is for the moment a beta-test version.
    A final version will come soon.

Take the fun with MorphOS :-D

[ Edité par Papiosaur 29.06.2011 - 18:12 ]
  • »29.06.11 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Visitor
  • Papiosaur,
    Quote:

Take the fun with MorphOS :)

I'm still willing to double click on AMOS or Directory OPUS or maybe even Turbo Imploder to see their 68k windows opening on my MOS box! :)
    Don't really know if I'll keep this Powermac due to the fan noise. It's awfully loud!
    Powerbook is still at the customs. Hopefully, you guys will release MOS 3 before this Christmas! :)
  • »29.06.11 - 18:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm still willing to double click on AMOS or Directory OPUS or maybe even
    > Turbo Imploder to see their 68k windows opening on my MOS box! :)

At least Directory Opus should open its window right away :-)

> Hopefully, you guys will release MOS 3 before this Christmas! :)

While I'm not a MorphOS Team member I can say that PowerBook G4 support will certainly come in MorphOS 2, probably in 2.9 or later, or maybe already in 2.8. I guess that MorphOS 3 will require a new keyfile, and we don't know what such version number increase will imply technically, but I know that it won't be released before this Christmas ;-)
  • »29.06.11 - 19:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    You can get probably better quality fans for about 20 quid less. That's what I did and noise is nearly gone ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.06.11 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Visitor
  • GREAT, so I'll wait for next MorphOS releases... Hopefully they're imminent.
    About the FANs, changing the 120mm should be enough? It's much harder to find quiet 60mm's around here...
  • »29.06.11 - 22:58