Helios, a FireWire stack for MorphOS
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I know that the original inquiry is dead, but why didn't anyone suggest that he install a larger hard drive and dual boot it?

Using firewire probably only has utility to people that have hardware that interfaces with this old standard (I don't).
    Personally, I'd rather see USB3.0/3.1 support.

[ Edited by Jim 07.08.2020 - 04:12 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.08.20 - 09:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > why didn't anyone suggest that he install
    > a larger hard drive and dual boot it?

I think that was because this obvious solution wasn't what he asked about, and his comments #80 and #84 didn't sound like he would go out of his way and buy a larger hard drive to install an OS he has "very little interest in" anyway.
  • »07.08.20 - 10:29
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    I found this on Yomgui's Wiki, which is the only reference I found that mentions the "get61883", bu the Aminet archive for v0.3.323 does not seem to be on Aminet, as it's been replaced with a later version of Helios (0.4 beta) so it may not be so useful. :-?

There is also the Helios v0.5.622 on the older MorphOS Files website but I don't think this has within it what you are looking for either, sadly. :-(

Aha, there's also his tool called "FWCamController" aka "FWGrab" about the same length. However it requires VideoPreview.mcc :-(

[ Editiert durch polluks 07.08.2020 - 13:50 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.13
  • »07.08.20 - 12:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    I found this on Yomgui's Wiki, which is the only reference I found that mentions the "get61883", bu the Aminet archive for v0.3.323 does not seem to be on Aminet, as it's been replaced with a later version of Helios (0.4 beta) so it may not be so useful. :-?

There is also the Helios v0.5.622 on the older MorphOS Files website but I don't think this has within it what you are looking for either, sadly. :-(

Aha, there's also his tool called "FWCamController" aka "FWGrab" about the same length. However it requires VideoPreview.mcc :-(

[ Editiert durch polluks 07.08.2020 - 13:50 ]

Where do you have this info about FWCamController/FWGrab and VideoPreview.mcc?

Doesn't anybody has these tools??

I asked Yomgui on facebook, lets see what he answers...
  • »07.08.20 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > why didn't anyone suggest that he install
    > a larger hard drive and dual boot it?

I think that was because this obvious solution wasn't what he asked about, and his comments #80 and #84 didn't sound like he would go out of his way and buy a larger hard drive to install an OS he has "very little interest in" anyway.

No, but its the easy solution to the issue of multi-booting. And if he didn't already own the firewire interface, not much more expensive.

PATA hard drives aren't as readily available in high capacities as SATA (or as cost effective per MB), but a 500 GB drive would be adequate for dual booting, and extra storage could be added by a non-bootable USB drive.

BTW - Anyone still using a system with a PATA interface, there is a nice buy on 1GB PATA interfaced flash modules here:

https://www.cdw.com/product/Transcend-PATA-Flash-Module-Vertical-solid-state-drive-1-GB-IDE-ATA/4013515?cm_cat=google&cm_ite=4013515&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRANSCEND_FL&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI9fbfz5uJ6wIViZWzCh0mJgM4EAQYASABEgKGs_D_BwE:G:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9fbfz5uJ6wIViZWzCh0mJgM4EAQYASABEgKGs_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!359094630459!!!g!299765014534!

I really like the form factor, basically you just plug it in in place of the drive cable.

The only thing I don't like about solid state drives is they give you no warning before they fail.

[ Edited by Jim 07.08.2020 - 09:54 ]
  • »07.08.20 - 14:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> why didn't anyone suggest that he install
    >>> a larger hard drive and dual boot it?

>> I think that was because this obvious solution wasn't what he
    >> asked about, and his comments #80 and #84 didn't sound like he
    >> would go out of his way and buy a larger hard drive to install
    >> an OS he has "very little interest in" anyway.

> No, but its the easy solution to the issue of multi-booting.

In general yes, but not for someone who, at that point in time, just wants to try out installing MorphOS on his existing hardware as is. Btw, he posted a follow-up thread a year later:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12568&forum=11
  • »07.08.20 - 15:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

igracki schrieb:
    Where do you have this info about FWCamController/FWGrab and VideoPreview.mcc?

It's not a secret...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.13
  • »07.08.20 - 20:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ Andreas_Wolf

>Btw, he posted a follow-up thread a year later:

>https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12568&forum=11

Thanks, that was encouraging. At least he was still trying.

I'm glad I've been willing to throw a little money at my MorphOS systems, as I think I would have been frustrated by certain limitations in the past (particularly the wireless issues I've dealt with).
    Now my primary frustration is that I didn't retain Redrumloa's G4 MDD (i'd like to play with that cheap PATA flash drive.

BTW - My G5 has firewire ports, doesn't it? Two firewire 400s and one firewire 800, if I'm not mistaken. So how well are they supported?
  • »07.08.20 - 21:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    ....... Now my primary frustration is that I didn't retain Redrumloa's G4 MDD (i'd like to play with that cheap PATA flash drive.

BTW - My G5 has firewire ports, doesn't it? Two firewire 400s and one firewire 800, if I'm not mistaken. So how well are they supported?

I still have my MDD G4 PowerMac, that I haven't used in years (not since it was displayed for the Amiga 30 event in Mountain View, CA), if you are interested in owning one again. It has a single 1.25GHz G4 CPU module in it over-clocked to 1.5GHz+/-, which allows it to run cooler

(cooler than the original dual 1.42GHz G4 module)

I just ordered one of those 1gb IDE SSD drives, to test out in one of my Classic Amiga computers, which I have been getting more interested in playing around with lately.

[ Edited by amigadave 07.08.2020 - 17:41 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.08.20 - 01:39