MorphOS wont boot on SFS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I have just transformed all my partitions from FFS to SFS. No problem.

I decided to do a reinstall to get a nice clean setup but now MorphOS wont boot past the MorphOS logo.

I have MorphOS on DH0: and the partition is set to boot.

I installed using the HD-install script and it worked without a problem.

To load MorphOS from Firmware i write "boot boot.img" and it loads the kernel fine but halts at the logo.

I formatet and verified the System partition just to be sure.

Any ideas?
  • »03.12.06 - 15:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    VooDoo
    Last working SFS version for MorphOS PowerUp is 1.252!! please look what version du you using!
    MAC mini 1.5 ghz 1GB ram + MorphOS 3.7

A1200 sandwich

uA1c/g3 800 mHz/256mb/160gb hdd/OS4.1 :-D

Warp croatian Amiga portal :
  • »03.12.06 - 16:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I am using the one that came on my MorphOS cd. Think it is 1.211.

I have a Pegasos 2.

So I don't think it is that.

Thanks anyway.
  • »03.12.06 - 16:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    VooDoo
    ahh...sorry man..I mean you using Mos PUp...ahh...I need better see what topic say :)
    MAC mini 1.5 ghz 1GB ram + MorphOS 3.7

A1200 sandwich

uA1c/g3 800 mHz/256mb/160gb hdd/OS4.1 :-D

Warp croatian Amiga portal :
  • »03.12.06 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Insert a wait command before iprefs in your startup-sequence.
  • »03.12.06 - 19:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    "I have solved the problem. It seems that I had to change the screenmode to 800x600 when I was using the MorphOS boot cd. When i rebooted everything whent smooth :-)"

Well, it was'nt the solution afterall. :-(

I tried to insert a "Wait 1" command before iprefs in startup-sequence but I have a suspision that it is not the correct command. Now the system halts after booting the kernel and dos'nt get to the boot logo.

Wat is the exact wait command?

[ Edited by JohnFante on 2006/12/4 5:50 ]
  • »03.12.06 - 19:32
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    this sometimes happens to me also... when something crashes (in the MorphOS) i'm not able to boot again, and the booting procedure freezees on the open firmware message, when boot.img is launched. no reset does help, only turning it off and on again...

when no morphos boot image is visible, then it's some soft of hw problems (or boot settings?), when the logo is visible, it's the startup-sequence problem (afaik)

bye, MarK.
  • »04.12.06 - 06:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I tried both Wait 1 and Wait SEC=1 both resulted in that the system could'nt get past loading the kernel.

Then I tried making a small boot partition and putting boot.img on here. Now the system halts at the MorphOS boot logo again.

Hmmm. Any suggestions??
  • »04.12.06 - 17:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

JohnFante wrote:
    Then I tried making a small boot partition and putting boot.img on here. Now the system halts at the MorphOS boot logo again.
    Hmmm. Any suggestions??

Did u try comparing all files from the partition (or CD-Rom) you copied them from with those you got copied on SFS boot partition? I had the same prob. when changed my boot partition from FFS to SFS. Strangely, using dopus copy command, a protection bit was altered during copying files from the backup partition to the boot one, SFS formatted.
    Obviously, that prob. didn't appear using cli command "copy from... to... all clone".

Bye,
    AKiLL
  • »04.12.06 - 20:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I have the same problem no matter if I use the install script on the CD or copy the files manually from the CD using the cli command.

Furthermore I have also changed the RAM in my system just to be sure it is'nt RAM related. A strange - but nice - thing regarding my RAM happend when I changed from FFS to SFS. Under FFS I always get an RAM error when I try to use the install script on the MorphOS cd. The RAM checked out fine i Linux so it is ok - at least Vesalia says so ;-). But now when I have changed to SFS i get no RAM error and the install script works just fine .... strange but nice.

Well this problem is really beginning to piss me off. I stated with the goal of getting Quake 3 to run faster and now I have a system that wont boot ... life is a bitch.

To night I will copy my complete system backup files using cli to see if that helps.

I am really beginning to get desperate here. I would be sad to have to change back to FFS on my system partition to get things going.
  • »05.12.06 - 07:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

JohnFante wrote:
    I have the same problem no matter if I use the install script on the CD or copy the files manually from the CD using the cli command.

After u'll have copied all files using the copy cli command (and clone option), also verify that ?hsparwed? bits have been all preserved for all files.
    I remember had similar prob also with my old usb pendrive. So if I left that device inserted in usb port the boot often stopped after showing butterfly logo. Obviously, that prob disappeared as I removed the usb device.

Quote:

Furthermore I have also changed the RAM in my system just to be sure it is'nt RAM related. A strange - but nice - thing regarding my RAM happend when I changed from FFS to SFS. Under FFS I always get an RAM error when I try to use the install script on the MorphOS cd. The RAM checked out fine i Linux so it is ok - at least Vesalia says so ;-). But now when I have changed to SFS i get no RAM error and the install script works just fine .... strange but nice.

Really strange!

Quote:

Well this problem is really beginning to piss me off. I stated with the goal of getting Quake 3 to run faster and now I have a system that wont boot ... life is a bitch.
    To night I will copy my complete system backup files using cli to see if that helps.
    I am really beginning to get desperate here. I would be sad to have to change back to FFS on my system partition to get things going.

Don't forget to use "clone" option for copy cli command and ....no matter to get desperate. Generally, MZ users help to solve problems :-)
    Anyway, if MorphOS boot will continue giving problems, after all attempts you made, then you'll need a deeper surveying!
  • »05.12.06 - 12:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Enough is enough for now.

I have changed my system partition to FFS and everything works fine again.

Explanations for my problem are still welcome :-)

[ Edited by JohnFante on 2006/12/5 19:37 ]
  • »05.12.06 - 18:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    I have the same prob..
    On a machine which was rarely used with MorphOS (used with Linux), my MorphOS often stuck at the logo.
    I cleared all lines in user-startup .. still locks at the logo.
    I also tried to remove the soundblaster .. no success.
    IF I insert the MorphOS-CD it boots without probs .. sometimes it also boots without locking from HD ..

Can I switch off the logo to see what is going on ?
  • »06.12.06 - 16:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    I solved it for now .. I unplugged one 300G harddrive, bootet MorphOS and replugged it again... it works ow .
    Very very strange behaviour .. because the drive was plugged perfectly, as
    linux worked flawless with it ...

Neither do I have any clue what may have changed because of one boot without the second drive ...
  • »06.12.06 - 17:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Nice to hear I am not the only one. :-)

A shame I can't do the trick since I only have 1 HD.

Well hopefully we will find the cure sometime.
  • »06.12.06 - 19:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I have now solved mt FFS/FFS problem.

The solutions was a Wait 1 before Iprefs in my startup-sequence. The reason that it didn't worked before was that I used a wrong editor.

When I booted form the CD i transfered the startup-sequence via AmigaExplorer to my PC and inserted the Wait command there. Unfortunately that corrupted the file - I later found out - and that was the reason it didn't work.

Thanks for all the help!
  • »17.12.06 - 14:56