Further development of libnix and ixemul
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zapek has released ixemul and libnix source code to the public.
    I have some ideas for them (ixemul mainly) but don't have time. So if there are some developers who would like to apply their hands to these things i'd like to invite you to join "unmorphos" project on sf.net.
    I'll be here on monday. Will try to compile ixemul. If some changes will be required i'll put it on a CVS.
    Currently i will not do anything with Libnix because there are too many unclear legality issues around it. So i'd better to wait for them to settle down. Anyway, current libnix has no major drawbacks IMO so it can wait.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »25.03.05 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    MorphOS' libnix and ixemul are still under development. Making updates on your own would be a waste of time.
  • »25.03.05 - 15:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    I've requested Zapek to remove my copyrighted source code from this libnix source archive.

The code I contributed to libnix is not public domain, but copyright by me, Harry Sintonen. Only the binary releases having my permission can include it (like the one released recently by the MorphOS team). I have not given permission to distribute my source code as public domain, in any form.

Any 3rd party binary / source code release of the libnix including my copyrighted IP is in breach of international copyright law.

Harry Sintonen <sintonen@iki.fi>
  • »25.03.05 - 16:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    Thank you Piru !!

Its people like you who keep the spirit alive!

Thank you Piru !!
  • »25.03.05 - 19:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Sure? But isn't included into LGPL code?

Piru: Do you hate all efforts of trying to alive the MorphOS development? Do you hate MorphOS or don't care about it? Do you like MorphOS being alive and development resurrected in some form?
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    I've requested Zapek to remove my copyrighted source code from this libnix source archive.

The code I contributed to libnix is not public domain, but copyright by me, Harry Sintonen. Only the binary releases having my permission can include it (like the one released recently by the MorphOS team). I have not given permission to distribute my source code as public domain, in any form.

Any 3rd party binary / source code release of the libnix including my copyrighted IP is in breach of international copyright law.

Harry Sintonen <sintonen@iki.fi>

[ Edited by timofonic on 2005/3/26 14:00 ]
  • »26.03.05 - 12:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    libnix isn't LGPL. And do you really think that in this story Zapek is a good guy and MOSTeam is a bad guy? Do you think that Zapek does this things to keep MorphOS alive?
  • »26.03.05 - 13:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @timofonic

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? :)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.03.05 - 14:28
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    brotheris
    I have a suggestion regarding ixemul.library. It is LGPL and is beeing developed by MorphOS team and looks like it can gain life in unmorphos project. Why not combine efforts and work on ixemul in one cvs ? Or is it considered important part of the core and its development can't be shown to outside and must be forked by MorphOS team ?
    Home sweet home is Pegasos User Group Lithuania
  • »26.03.05 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    It is system specific. Better contact the MorphOS team if you are going to make your own changes.
  • »26.03.05 - 19:13
    gunne
    Hi

Well, thought for a while before posting here.

First, happy easter all !

I must say I can not see David Gerbers point in what he is doing right now.

Is it that he dislike MorphOS so much, and he therefore thinks it is good to release MorphOS source code in public ?

Or is it that he like MorphOS so much, and he therefore thinks it is good to release MorphOS source code in public ?

When he first did release Ambient source code, he at least with me got little respect, as I took it as he was tired of everything and wanted to leave everything behind, and then as a nice gesture wanted to release his ambient source code for the userbase and community or for anyone.

But this now, I can not see this point in. The source code released is not only his own work, but also other peoples work. And as I understand it is created for MorphOS and within the MorphOS team for using within MorphOS, which includes his own code as well of course.

Why don't he just forget about everything and just start with something else, if something of what I mentioned above makes some sence ?

And, David Gerber ! Please feel free to explain if you wish.

-----------------------

And, my best wishes to the MorphOS team, and to everybody else. MorphOS is just great !

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »26.03.05 - 22:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @gunne

You expect common sense from anybody involved in this soap-opera ??

Geeeeee, where have you been the last 10 years.......
  • »27.03.05 - 09:50
    gunne
    Kronos:

What do you expect ?

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »27.03.05 - 10:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    here we go again :-/ :roll:
  • »27.03.05 - 11:24
    @Kronos

I agree, all people involved in MorphOS and ex-members of the team seems that not has common sense, only with childish attitude, accusing ones to others and seems not worry a shit about MorphOS, only trying to fuck Genesi because not paid them! All sucks, mos team, ex members of mos team, Genesi...

Stop fighting like kids and collabore doing MorphOS alive please. I don't worry about Genesis and his effort for make Pegasos a linux box, I want MorphOS, not linux (I was a linux user and I don't like it actually). If I was want to use linux, then I wasn't bought a Pegasos...
    --

So, why MorphOS team not released the new libnix and ixemul? Why not released the source code? Why this stupid fight where each sides say they are better than the others? Why it seems that most people involved in MorphOS are now fucking it? Why good programmers of morphos team are quitting? It seems that all it's being fucked it...
  • »27.03.05 - 12:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @timofonic

You can get new libnix from here.

As for Zapek noone can stop him. He does what he wants.
  • »27.03.05 - 12:39
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Timofonic: Can't see a better answer than this one for your "why...":

"the amiga scene has always been famous for his lack of maturity beyond talent. Geek attitude and super- egos. " - SoundSquare

(I hope he won't sue me because I quoted him without asking for his permission first: anything can happen in this "community" :))

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »27.03.05 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
    gunne
    timofonic:

> All sucks...

Do you include yourself in that content ?

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »27.03.05 - 12:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @Leo

nice one m8

do we need further proof to it ? we can even use this thread among many others as an example.
  • »27.03.05 - 13:22
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    timofonic:

> All sucks...

Do you include yourself in that content ?

Gunne
    --

Why not? :lol:
  • »27.03.05 - 13:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @timofonic

Quote:

Piru: Do you hate all efforts of trying to alive the MorphOS development?

No. I hate theft of my copyrighted work.

And to clarify: I am perfectly happy with libnix binary releases, and I did give my permission for the latest release. However, I did not give my permission to David Gerber to release my source code.

Quote:

Do you hate MorphOS

No. I develop it.

Quote:

or don't care about it?

I care about MorphOS.

Quote:

Do you like MorphOS being alive and development resurrected in some form?

Unlike what you want to suggest, MorphOS development isn't dead.

[ Edited by Piru on 2005/3/28 4:26 ]
  • »28.03.05 - 03:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    On sunday i tried to compile ixemul. The good news:
    1. It compiles almost out of the box, with slight makefile change (removed -lsyscalls reference, don't know what is it for).
    2. Root bug is fixed. ls -l / gives correct results.
    There is a sense to make at least a binary release IMHO. Currently i decided to try to estabilish some relationships with Amiga.sf project (http://amiga.sourceforge.net) because they already deal with GeekGadgets stuff and i think having two projects doing the same thing in different directions is a bit nonsense. They don't have a CVS service, if they can activate it i think ixemul development should be hosted there. If not, i will place it in my CVS.
    So first wait for binary release on GeekGadgets. I'll bump version number, test it a bit more (with Joe for example) and release it.
    2 Piru: of course i realize that your branch of the development will continue. Let's consider my branch to be an experimental fork-off. Whether to accept changes of not to your "official" branch - it's of course up to you.
    I still don't touch libnix. IMHO it's good enough in its current state.
  • »28.03.05 - 06:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @Sonic

I was speaking about libnix.

Also: MorphOS 1.4.4 released today includes ixemul.library 49.18 and ixnet.library 49.18.
  • »28.03.05 - 11:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yes, i see. Thank you very much again and thanks to all who made it.
    In fact i am very glad that MorphOS is alive. There are still a lot of areas to work at, it's good that new ixemul is released officially and i don't need to deal with it. Unmorphos project's aim is to help users and fill gaps, not to beat official developers.
  • »28.03.05 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
    @Piru

Ok, sorry for my wrong idea, now I understand some better all this messy fight, thanks a lot for your reply.

PS: Some news about MorphOS for AmigaPPC?
  • »28.03.05 - 13:13
  • Just looking around
    pbareges
    i'm a classic 68k user...i know that last ixemul updates (on morphos) included several bug fixes known for a long time with old 68k release (fseek and lseek bugs)... the last built available for 68k users is 49.17... i was wondering if someone out there would be kind enough to make a new build for 68k users with the last sources available...thanks in advance to let me know..

philippe.

[ Edited by pbareges on 2006/7/20 12:05 ]
  • »20.07.06 - 18:04