sunny first alpha release - tool to adjust a display's color temperature
  • ASiegel
    @alfie

I replaced "https" with "http" in the link you provided as the website does not appear to have a valid SSL certificate.

@all

Here is an extract of the readme file so you do not have to download the archive to find out what the software is about:

Motivation:
    sunny was written because I am too used to "night colors" on various operating systems. The "default" 6500K temperature is "too much" for me. During the day, I use a temperature of 5600K. When the sun sets, I shift to 2500-3500 depending on my humor.

Limitations:
    First of all, IMHO, gamma should be monitor property and screens that use that monitor should inherit that. Instead on mos, gamma is applied on each screen. That means sunny can only change gamma on a single screen. That screen is the "Workbench" screen and it can't be (atm) changed.

Second, screen must be created with the attribute SA_GammaControl set to TRUE. Workbench is not created with that attribute, so a patch to OpenScreenTagList is needed to intercept the opening of "Workbench" and add SA_GammaControl, TRUE to its init attributes. The patch must be applied before LoadWB is called. Luckly, LoadWB is called in MOSSYS:S/startup-sequence after S:user-startup.

So, all you have to do is add the following two lines:

Code:
    run <>NIL: C:sunny
    C:WaitForPort SUNNY

at the beginnig of your S:user-startup. If you run sunny after, without having booted with the patch active, sunny will be not able to change the screen temperature (and it has to way to communicate that to the user).

Third, if Workbench is opened with SA_GammaControl set to TRUE, gamma in Settings/screen Resolution/Edit/Gamma are not applied to the monitor. They are saved, but you can't see what you are doing.

Forth, are the above values considered? They aren't at the moment. intuition.library has a bug that prevents reading them. You must wait for intuition "version>51" or "version=51 revision>40" (aka mos>3.18).

So, the initial gamma ramp is a linear "default" one. Probably it is what you use every day, anyway.

Bugs
    Oh dear, this is a very early alpha version. It works fine, but it has many things not yet implemented. There is quite no check on the options. No warning you have
    not defined your position and so on. But it is "usable".

How To:
    Copy sunny to C: Add the two lines as above to your S:user-startup and reboot. Via Exchange or in a shell, open sunny interface and set your latitude and longitude. These are in decimal form; the latitude is positive for the north
    emisphere and negative for the south emisfere; the longitude is positive at east of Greenwich and negative at west of Greenwich.
    Adjust the temperatures for the night time and the day time and save. Tell me what is wrong and what to change. Of course I will not implement stuff like geolocation.

Usage:
    sunny must be started early in S:user-startup

If run twice, it opens its window. When its window is closed, all MUI resources are freed.

It's command line arguments are;
    Code:
    CX_PRIORITY/K/N,CX_POPKEY/K,CX_POPUP/S:

It's ICON tooltypes are
    Quote:

CX_PRIORITY=PRIO/N
    CX_POPKEY=KEY
    CX_POPUP

Saluti
    - alfie
  • »20.06.24 - 06:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    Thanks.

Version 0.2
    https://alfie.altervista.org/downloads/sunny.lha
  • »20.06.24 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

alfie wrote:
    Thanks.

Version 0.2
    https://alfie.altervista.org/downloads/sunny.lha

No release notes? What's new with this 0.2 version?
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »22.06.24 - 06:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    Changes.txt
  • »22.06.24 - 06:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Bizarelly, i have no changes on my screen if i change prefs (G5 with Radeon 1950)...

Any ideas please?

I guess you probably have to wait night time to see a radical change. But even there, in fact, the change is probably extremly subtle to notice as the color temperature shift is probably smoothed over time. Didn't dived much in the source code but I guess alfie did that.

Try to fake the time (say noon (midi) to midnight (minuit) time change) to see a radical color temperature change?
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »22.06.24 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Bizarelly, i have no changes on my screen if i change prefs (G5 with Radeon 1950)...

Any ideas please?

Did you run sunny from user-startup?
    run <>NIL: c:sunny
    c:waitforport SUNNY

(the second line is not really needed, but better to be sure sunny set its patch
    before going on)

if sunny is not run from there, it cannot change anything on ambient screen.

If you did so, I have no idea.

version 0.3, at the same address.

Many changes; added all possible color options. I thing features are done.
  • »22.06.24 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @alfie: ha ok, sorry, i will add that to the user-startup, i know it will work directly :-)

Thanks for the new update!

[EDIT] Work fine with the 2 lines in the user-startup :-D

Nice tool to a have a confortable view of the screen in differents conditions, thanks!

Possiblity to upload on MorphOS-Storage?
  • »22.06.24 - 15:18
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    nitpicking in start.c:96
    return code of 4 is too low

You didn't use VSTRING, how about Code:
    nb.nb_Title = VSTRING + sizeof "$VER:";
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »23.06.24 - 12:18