Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ Manfred

Haven't seen this myself and I've just tried what you described. Odd to say the least - especially since the attachments panel object gets re-created each time you display an email.

@ Papio

You mean there's no ASL requester when you hit the Download button?
  • »09.06.19 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi jacadcaps,

yes, sorry i have just understand when i click on the disk, i have a requester and when i click on the blue arrow (View) Iris save directly to Temp direcyory. In my case the file attachment file is a PDF file. It will be possible when i click to the view icon, Iris launch VPDF to show it for example ?

Thanks for your answer.
  • »09.06.19 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The View button downloads the file to a tmp location and then sends an AREXX request to Ambient. Ambient should generally open the file - if you can open the PDF via doubleclick in Ambient, it should be opened via Arexx as well. Why it fails for some people is a mystery :)
  • »10.06.19 - 07:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    @ Manfred

Haven't seen this myself and I've just tried what you described. Odd to say the least - especially since the attachments panel object gets re-created each time you display an email.

So, were you able to replicate?
    I remember I clicked on the disk symbol to download the attachment which triggered a file requester.

Shall I provide screenshots?

Manfred
  • »10.06.19 - 13:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Nope, couldn't get a repro. I'm currently busy with other (MorphOS) stuff and so any Iris updates will likely take a few more weeks.

Oh and the heat is making my brain melt :/
  • »11.06.19 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris beta 61 is currently in internal testing phase. Sorry for the delays but as mentioned above I've had to split my time into other projects.

A note on Odyssey: after comparing where the leopard-webkit project left off to the current state of WebKit and several attempts at merging the BAL (the old remains of Orygin web browser) I have concluded that anything short of an actual new port doesn't make sense.

This means that you shouldn't expect any betas anytime soon. It'll be months before I have something working. This also means that there'll be a significant slowdown in Iris' development after 2-3 more releases. I want to add an address book after which Iris will finally exit the "beta" stage. This also implies that POP3 support in Iris will effectively be deprecated and most likely will be removed in the upcoming builds.

The new port will focus on browsing first - that means that I want to have a port where the essentials are working (which means a bare browser with working JavaScript and a download manager in the 1st stages). Things like video playback will be at the end of the priority queue, since they're unlikely to work well due to our current CPU power deficit. I'll be working with a separation of the engine and browser in mind, to make it easy to put WebCore into other projects (like Iris).
  • »17.07.19 - 07:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    A note on Odyssey: after comparing where the leopard-webkit project left off to the current state of WebKit and several attempts at merging the BAL (the old remains of Orygin web browser) I have concluded that anything short of an actual new port doesn't make sense..........

The new port will focus on browsing first - that means that I want to have a port where the essentials are working (which means a bare browser with working JavaScript and a download manager in the 1st stages). Things like video playback will be at the end of the priority queue, since they're unlikely to work well due to our current CPU power deficit. I'll be working with a separation of the engine and browser in mind, to make it easy to put WebCore into other projects (like Iris).

This is good and bad news, I guess. Bad news that an actual new port is needed, instead of updating our existing version of Odyssey, and Good news that you are working on a new WebKit browser for MorphOS (if my interpretation of what you wrote above is incorrect, please correct me). I hope you have someone, or a group of developers, helping you on such a new port of the WebKit engine for MorphOS. If not, I suggest you ask for help, as it is no doubt a large project, though I know you are incredibly talented and fast at what you do. I would hate to see you burn yourself out, working alone on such big or difficult MorphOS tasks.

It just seems to me that large programming projects must be able to break down into smaller programming tasks, and that some of those tasks could be done by other capable programmers in our community, which would help speed up development time. Why are almost all development projects in our community done alone by one programmer?

Oh well, as I am not capable of helping to program anything at the moment, I'll just say thank you, and donate when I can. I hope you had a beer and some pizza on me from my last donation.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.07.19 - 11:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You're right about this being too big of a project for just one person, so yes, I have and will be asking for help. We've recently made quite some leaps in terms of the completeness of our SDK as well as updated modules the browser depends on.

And thank you and all the others for the donations. They've already helped quite a bit as I was able to finance some much needed hw with them.
  • »17.07.19 - 12:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks for your hard work and sharing some news about the development process! IMHO both projects are going in the right direction. :-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »17.07.19 - 13:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Good idea to facilitate for easy inclusion of webcore in future third party projects! Imagine it would be as easy as adding a MUI-class, and that the main MorphOS program could be able to communicate with the web-app within. Great possibilities there!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.07.19 - 14:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris beta 62 can be downloaded from iris-morphos.com (new link!)

New Features include:
    - Implemented forwarding messages as attachments
    - Nice folder icons, icons for failed/draft messages in the Outgoing folder
    - Folder settings (accessible from menu)
    - It is now possible to create and delete IMAP folders
    - Closed state of a folder tree is now serialized

Also fixed:
    - INBOX folder wouldn't always be detected correctly (happened on Yahoo)
    - Fixed sending of emails from accounts that had no Drafts/Sent folder
    - Fixed the 'view in external browser' feature (for attachments)
    - Fixed a UTF-7 decoder bug (caused Greek GMail to fail, for example)
    - Fixed a crash when parsing a server-side modified folder structure
    - Fixed a scroll-to-top issue when progressively adding list entries while scrolling
    - Fixed a crash in session shutdown/resource tracking

Website coming soon...

[ Edited by jacadcaps 24.07.2019 - 22:42 ]
  • »24.07.19 - 21:42
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Works like a charm! Did not try to create/remove folders though.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »26.07.19 - 13:27
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Impressive - I use it permanently. I am grateful for your hard work.
  • »28.07.19 - 20:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry for no updates in a while. I've been busy with life and other projects, but some progress is being done in Iris as well. I'm currently doing some internal refactoring to make it possible to display multiple emails in one view (read: threads).
  • »26.08.19 - 10:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    A 3.12 optimized build of Iris should be ready within a couple of days.
  • »02.10.19 - 21:00
    Profile Visit Website
    beworld
    Yeahhh, you and MOS Team are the best ;-)
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »02.10.19 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
    beworld
    I wan to donate via paypal but button launch OWB 1.26... and paypal doesnt display correctly

owb.png

[ Edité par beworld 05.10.2019 - 20:24 ]
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »05.10.19 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    It works here.
    However I could not use https://de.imgbb.com for uploading this time, full freeze...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »05.10.19 - 22:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The MorphOS' email client Iris beta 67 is now available for download.

Most notable changes include
    - Implemented an email address cache and email inline completion in To/CC/BCC strings
    - Added password/pin authentication to the crypto storage (where passwords and tokens are stored)
    - Improved email rich-text editor
    - Updated Odyssey core, fixes spellchecking in the email editor
    - Migrated to OpenSSL 1.1.1c
    - Updated VMime to the latest github state
    - Switched to ObjFW runtime library
    - Removed MorphOS 3.11 optimizations (enables better Unicode support in certain UI elements)

Please also note that Iris no longer runs on MorphOS 3.11!
  • »23.10.19 - 20:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    The MorphOS' email client Iris beta 67 is now available for download....

Thank you very much. Had some quick tests and sent some emails from yahoo (and gmail) without any problem so far.

But I think there is a bug when starting a new email. I can't place the cursor in the message area and write. I need to change between acounts in the From gradget and then I can place cursor and write message.

No problem when replying, just when writing a new message.

Edit: typo.

[ Edited by emeck 23.10.2019 - 22:08 ]
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »23.10.19 - 21:07
    tolkien
    Quote:

emeck escribió:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    The MorphOS' email client Iris beta 67 is now available for download....

Thank you very much. Had some quick tests and sent some emails from yahoo (and gmail) without any problem so far.

But I think there is a bug when starting a new email. I can't place the cursor in the message area and write. I need to change between acounts in the From gradget and then I can place cursor and write message.

No problem when replying, just when writing a new message.

Edit: typo.

[ Edited by emeck 23.10.2019 - 22:08 ]

Same problem here when create a new mail. Sure Jacadpads will resolve it soon. Great program. Thanks so much.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »23.10.19 - 21:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry for that folks.

Beta 68 is now out with following fixes:

- Fixed the html editor view being non-editable when opened without contents
    - Fixed email caching aggregating addresses with a different name but same email together
    - Fixed folder sorting when adding a new account
    - Fixed a case where some folders wouldn't show up right after configuring a new GMail account
    - Addressed a possible crash after dis/re-connecting to a store

Download
  • »24.10.19 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @jacadcaps

thank you!
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »25.10.19 - 07:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Beta 69 is now out.

- Heavily optimized address handling routines
    - Fixed two late disposal issues which caused account autoconfigurator to dangle on app's quit or after closing the autoconfiguration window
    - Improved html sanitization when sending rich-text emails
  • »27.10.19 - 20:01
    Profile Visit Website