Opera browser?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    What would Opera take to port their browser to MOS? How many thousands of users should there be to justify the effort? 5,000? 10,000? How many users BeOS or OS/2 currently has and already enjoys availability of this amazing browser?
  • »20.05.04 - 01:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    They have Opera, but it's an outdated version, they are making some type of petition for an updated version of Opera...

I think that we should donate some money to the Amizilla Project (http://www.amizilla.org) before "dream on impossible things" ...
  • »20.05.04 - 04:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I agree, dont wast money on Opera. Put it in the Amizilla fund. Opera is nice, but Mozilla is better.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.05.04 - 05:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    Quote:

Opera is nice, but Mozilla is better

sorry mate I disagree on that! I simply love that browser!
    Anyways, some people say that mozilla is very dependant on linux'es libraries (gtk(+)) and is very difficult to port... then how the hell did BeOS manage to get it?!? How long did it take the BeOS ppl to port it? I would be pleased even with an old version of 'zilla...
  • »20.05.04 - 06:06
  • Targhan
    I disagree to disagree!

Opera is nice, but there is a cost to have it ported. Just like any other commercial software, they'll have to see a profit in it. Opera isn't Mozilla or Firefox, even if it's ported--you'll have to buy it.

About Mozilla, I don't know the status of the port either. Maybe we could talk Mr. AmiZilla into coming on and spilling a little teaser!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »20.05.04 - 06:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    Opera isn't the only commercial browser around (iBrowse, Voyager), but it sure is the best! Also you only have to pay (only 26 euros for the windows version) if you want to get rid of the ads.... which in the interface of the latest version, occupy a much smaller portion of the screen than the old one . I'm pretty sure if Opera released a version tommorow for that low price, all of the pegasos users would happily pay that sum.

ps. it also has got quite good flash support!
  • »20.05.04 - 06:48
    DJBase
    Sure, Mozilla would be free but is there anyone who believes that we
    will see a port of Mozilla in the near future?
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.05.04 - 10:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    micronuke
    Opera 7 is my favourite browser.. and I'd be happy to buy it if it was available for MorphOS (at least as soon as I have my Pegasos) ;)

The Mozilla port for BeOS has taken many years to its current state.. The most recent releases of the FireFox-port are quite nice, although there are still some nasty bugs.
    - micronuke^osa
    Nimm dir Zeit und nicht das Leben!
  • »20.05.04 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I like Opera, but I just dont understand why they pulled the plug on the Amga version they were doing at one time. I dont see how thaey can do a version for OS/2 and BeOS and not do one for Amiga or Morph. Its crazy! Those two systems are more dead then the Amiga and they get a new browser???
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.05.04 - 17:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    micronuke
    I don't know about the OS/2-Version, but the BeOS version is very old (it's Opera 3.62), featureless and full of bugs. It was released back in the days of BeOS R5, when there was at least a little chance that BeOS might become succesful. When Be Inc cancelled BeOS development in 2001, Opera for BeOS was also cancelled. There only was a never released special version of Opera 5 for BeIA (Be Inc's internet appliance operating system) called "Wagner".
    - micronuke^osa
  • »20.05.04 - 17:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    While I understand some of the arguements here, I fully expect to see Mozilla before Opera. Sorry, but Opera will have to see a chance to make money. Until they see an opportunity for profit, they won't even start.

• »20.05.04 - 18:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    Opera is the best browser, altough the new versions seem a little
    memory hungry... if you want to support Opera on MorphOS, then post in
    this thread:
    CLICK
  • »20.05.04 - 18:38
  • Targhan
    I do want to make something clear, I am not trying to give Opera a hard time. I just feel that we have to be realistic. The people that work on Opera have to have money to eat, pay bills, and to live. This means that have to turn a profit.

I hope they do port it, and I would love to see them make a profit in doing so. I do not, however, know how many copies they would have to sell to justify the work involved.

• »20.05.04 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Opera would perfectly fit in Amiga/MorphOS: small, fast, powerfull,... But unless they suddenly sell some hundred thousand Pegasos running MorphOS, I don't see it happen ;(

As for Mozilla, I don't see it appear... Porting this monster to the Amiga would require too many things to be written... MUI is great but a lot of classes are missing. And if you ask me, I think that MorphOS + Mozilla Monster = paradox...

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »21.05.04 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Mozilla should port just fine to MOS. It will just take time and the team that dose it will need to stick to it. If they can make ot for the classic Macs and the other small systems then it can come to us. We just need a team willing to take on that challenge is all.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »21.05.04 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Yes. IMO IBrowse is the best browser on the Earth, but it doesn't support A LOT of things, that a modern browser has to (e.g. CSS, full javascript, full HTML4.01, flash, java, etc.). So it will be nice to have a modern browser writed or ported.

On pc Opera was my favorite browser, because it's a lot faster than Mozilla (especially on slower machines), it supported everything and the web pages looked in opera linke in IE (the most of webdesigners design their pages only for IE). It has ablity to browse more pages in one window like IBrowse and a very nice E-mail client (IMO the only usable client for pc after YAM...).

So I have a question. Isn't is possible to talk with Opera team to give their sources for an MOS C++ expert, to port it. I believe, that it would be someone who'd undertake to do it for free. So porting opera'd cost nothing for Opera team, but a lot of users would buy it. It's clear: everyone would be happy - or not?
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »21.05.04 - 12:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    micronuke
    What about porting WebCore/KHTML (used in KDE's Konqeuror, Apple's Safari, etc) to MorphOS and then writing a browser using this HTML/JavaScript-engine? I think it's a lot more lightweight than Mozilla/Gecko - and Opera, as others here already mentioned, is quite unrealistic at the moment.
    - micronuke^osa
  • »21.05.04 - 12:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @micronuke:

I'm not sure, but KHTML has a lot of dependencies (KDE libraries) and is harder to port than Opera.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »21.05.04 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    @GL_LKA

IBrowse the best Browser ?
    IBrowse is horrible (pic1) ! compared with V (pic2).
    But I must confess that I've never tried to configure IB ...
  • »21.05.04 - 14:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

GK_LKA wrote:
    It has ablity to browse more pages in one window like IBrowse and a very nice E-mail client (IMO the only usable client for pc after YAM...).

Maybe you should try "Foxmail" if you want a usable client on pc... it's the only one supporting "remote mail" as far as I know.

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »21.05.04 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Why not start a bountie for Opera?
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.05.04 - 15:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    We can add Opera to the list, but its a wast of money since its not open source and they are the only ones that will do it. I wouldnt want a ton of people putting money into the fund for opera only to have nothing done. That money could go to much more needed stuff first.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »21.05.04 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @Robin

Of course that was only my opinion, and I don't want to start a flame about it. :)

You have right, it's a bug in IBrowse (it doesn't support transparency in backgrounds). The other differences are because of your font settings.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »21.05.04 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    I would just like to have UTF-8 and CSS support in IBrowse. That would be quite an inprovement!

@Robin: I think u are unfair with IBrowse. Voyager leaves some frames unrendered! Not showing anything is worse than not rendering it perfectly. Anyway, Voyager does not support proxy settings! So it's completely useless for me... Woah, what a browser..... ^^;
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »22.05.04 - 02:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i for one would be more than willing ot buy opera if it is ever released for MOS.....I think most poeple would
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »22.05.04 - 07:14
    Profile Visit Website