Official MorphOS 1.4 Printer-Fix
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    It looks that not all printers works this way. Maybe for other printers there are also new drivers need (#?.tpd), but there aren't available in linux version.
  • »03.02.05 - 17:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ All those that still are in troubles

Deleting the files SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/sys/printer.prefs and SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/sys/printergfx.prefs (if they are present on your system) is not enough!

You should delete the file SYS:MorphOS/TP/configs/<name of your printer>.tpc

Delete also the files _Last_ and _Save_ in the same directory and reset the Pegasos. This is not strictly necessary, but I suggest this procedure just to be sure that any data concerning your previous printing environment has been deleted.

Now reconfigure everything from Ambient via "Settings --> System settings... --> Printer", save your configuration, and be happy!

@ Magnetic

Install TurboPrint 7.60 and use one of the new drivers (read my old review for a list of the most recent printers supported by TP). I use an Epson Stylus C84, and presume that its driver is compatible with the newest C86 model.

Cheers,
    Dr.Morbius_FP

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2005/2/3 22:08 ]
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »03.02.05 - 21:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    on Pegasos1 the new parallel.device isnt copied, because it doesn't work on it. Nevertheless, has anybody tested it on Peg by copying by hand ?
    i noticed that and (after duplicating the original file by renaming it), i copied the new "parallel.device" and rebooted.
    I didn't get anything to print, but then printing has never been my forte.

and i had to stop because family members needed me to go on errends (arg - hate being interrupted in the middle of stuff.) :-x

anyway, will return when i can!
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »03.02.05 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    @DR Morbius

Is there a way around TP lame protection mode (must insert original disk) in order to install 7.6 update for example?

I have original disks up to TP7.3update but no longer have Amigas to run updates against...so leary of buying another update (e.g. 7.6)
  • »03.02.05 - 21:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ JKD

I had no problems when I installed TurboPrint 7.60 directly on the Pegasos. You just copy all the new files needed and overwrite those present in MorphOS. Any MorphOS user is considered automatically a registered user with serial number 0 (this is described in the TP7.60 review: it's worth to read it carefully!), so there is no need to unlock previously the protection on a real Amiga... :-D

For previous versions of TurboPrint I don't know (I have TurboPrint 7.30 but did not try it). Anyway it is very simple to obtain an answer, just copy the relevant printer driver (only this file should be needed in such a case, because the original MorphOS TP files are more recent versions) and see what happens. (If you want to be able to manage hard copies of your screens, load TurboPrefs, too.)
  • »03.02.05 - 21:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

And here are the results of the Austrian jury...erm and now for something completely different.

Computer: PegasosII
    Printer: Canon S400
    Connected by: USB (haven't tried parallel - no time)
    Drivers: latest one from official printer-fix

Programms:
    -APDF: works

-fxPaint_lite: works

-Ghostscript 8.13: works

-AmigaWriter: works

-PapyrusOffice: does not work (guess it's because it says paperlength=0)

-prt: does not work (only prints 1-3 lines per page without linefeed and gets next sheet thereafter) (all programs that rely on prt: are affected (copy to prt:; CEd; MorphEd; SimpleMail...)

-TurboCalc4.0:
    --textmode (as mentioned)
    --gfxmode (3 pixel font - maybe tweeking with setting helps)

-DrawStudioLite: works

-fxScan: works

-ArtEffect4: freezes

-GrafikPublisher 7.2000: works

Bye HAK

[ Edited by HAK on 2005/2/4 1:06 ]
  • »04.02.05 - 00:04
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    @ DrM

thanks for the tip...I hadn't seen that review at all!
  • »04.02.05 - 00:20
    HPDeskJet930C , HPLaserJet 5L and HP LaserJet 1320 work, the last one using HPLaserJet6series driver.

All printer connected through lpr.device from aminet.

[ Edited by FALCON1 on 2005/2/4 7:19 ]
    Pegasos rulez since august 2002
  • »04.02.05 - 06:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ HAK

<quote>
    -prt: does not work (only prints 1-3 lines per page without linefeed and gets next sheet thereafter) (all programs that rely on prt: are affected (copy to prt:; CEd; MorphEd; SimpleMail...)
    </quote>

The same here until I decided to be fully compliant with the instructions (well... I think that all the instructions given by the MorphOS team were always short and somewhat cryptic). So:

(1) Delete the file SYS:MorphOS/TP/configs/<name of your printer>.tpc

[You can delete also the files _Last_ and _Save_ in the same directory and reset the Pegasos. This is not strictly necessary, but I suggest this procedure just to be sure that any data concerning your previous printing environment has been deleted.]

(2) Reconfigure all printer settings in Ambient via "Settings --> System settings... --> Printer", and save the new configuration.

Only after this procedure I found that printing to PRT: with a command like 'Echo "Hello world!" >PRT:' or by means of programs like CEd, DirectoryOpus, etc. worked well.

Please give a try and report here your results. It seems that many persons still have this problem...

Cheers,
    Dr.Morbius_FP
  • »04.02.05 - 17:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

JACK wrote:
    What about net printing? I have my printer shared on PC (because family use it much more then me).

Will be MOS available to manage net printing?

This guide was written by Gunne Steen (GGS Data) quite some time ago (long before the MOS printing patch). I have not tested it myself though, but feel free to try it yourself! :-)

http://web.telia.com/~u39700267/netprint.pdf
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.02.05 - 22:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    I have a compaq IJ300. No idea which driver to use, so tried Epson
    Stylus colour 300 and parallel port.
    FXPaint says 'printing failed' and Voyager's print option is ghosted.

I'll keep playing around with it.
    --
    Robert.
  • »05.02.05 - 22:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    @Robert

Printing is disabled in the current release of Voyager (along with a lot of features that used to work before they re-wrote half the code)
  • »06.02.05 - 01:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    <quote>
    Acill on 2005/2/3 8:10:39

I tried the linux ppc printer driver for my brother HL-1440 using the 1450 driver.
    </quote>

If you find a better driver I'd love to know. I have a friend using that modle. I have a Brother HL-5040 and while 600x600 is nice using HP_LaserJet6series, getting the full 2400x600 dpi would be sweet!

Furvert
  • »06.02.05 - 09:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Hi,

I'm surprised. Didn't upgrade TurboPrint nor buy a printer yet, cause I was waiting for a newer TP version supporting newer models 8e.g.Canon Pixma iP4000).

Can I really use the drivers from the Linux version with TP/MOS ? Even the x86 ones ???
  • »06.02.05 - 16:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    stan
    I installed the printing patch using the (crappy) installer included in the archive. I had to remove the test of the installer version because it required v44 while saying it needed v42.9, and I have v43. The archive contains some v44 installer, but it isn't used when I click on the install icon, so it makes no sense to include it that way.

Anyway, printing a web page from AWeb doesn't work correctly: everything is stretched vertically, like 10 times or so.

I've copied the i550 driver from my TP installation (which worked perfectly on my Amiga) and selected "draft" (300 dpi) as quality.

I've tried deleted the prefs files as mentionned in this thread, but that doesn't change anything.

I'm printing to the "cache:print.out" file, then using smbclient to print on a Win98 PC: smbclient "//pc/i550" -c "put /cache/print.out". Again, this worked perfectly on my Amiga. Though I haven't really installed Samba and smbclient complains that it cannot find some config files... But since the PC is receiving and printing the file, I guess that's not the problem.
  • »06.02.05 - 17:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

After an email from roschmyr and a mail from Gerd Kautzman on the MorphOS mailing list, I found out what the problem with textprinting/Papyrus was.

The values for the paper size were set to 0 after the upgrade resulting in either no printing at all (Papyrus) or just printint one line at a page (prt:).

Now after setting those values to correct (or at least sane) values I can also use those methods correctly.

Thanks to those two for giving my brain the necessary kick.
    Thanks to Dr.Morbius_FP too - should have read more carefully when he proposed to "Reconfigure *all* printer settings".

Bye HAK

[ Edited by HAK on 2005/2/8 1:47 ]
  • »08.02.05 - 00:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Spidey
    Hi everybody,

I followed all the instructions of Dr.Morbius_FP.

I've got a HPDeskjet 920C connected through the parallel-port.

I've found out that if I use the HP_DeskJet92xC-device, all colours are inverted. This is the problem I had from the beginning when trying to print within MorphOS.

If I choose HP_DeskJet895C-device printing works correctly, although the colours are "light".

Oh, GraphicsPublisher V7 works :-)

My opinion is that this update is a real improvement (not a final solution yet).

Does MorphOS has something like a printer spooler?

Bye,

Spidey
  • »09.02.05 - 07:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Printer Fix works great here.

Simplemail - perfect

checkitout (prt dump) - perfect.

Using:

Peg 2
    HP Deskjet 6127 (via ethernet)
    lpr.device.

Nice job!
  • »10.02.05 - 00:14
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    Quote:

I'm surprised. Didn't upgrade TurboPrint nor buy a printer yet, cause I was waiting for a newer TP version supporting newer models 8e.g.Canon Pixma iP4000).

Can I really use the drivers from the Linux version with TP/MOS ? Even the x86 ones ???

not out of the box...

I've fiddled with the Canon 865 one (I think it was) so that
    it now supports duplex printing (landscape and portrait)
    , selection of papertray trough button selection. the only
    bad point is that you can't use the toolbox functionality to
    clean heads etc.
  • »24.04.07 - 16:32
  • Just looking around
    Dworkin
    Hello,
    Euh little problem with the link: error 404. :-(

I'm wrong or a real problem??? :-?

Thanks
  • »25.04.07 - 07:11
    Golem
    You're not wrong about the link, but you're wrong if you think it's a real problem, look at the date of the post you're replying to and check the date of the last MorphOS release.

Targhan:
    Could you possibly add a little (read _huge_ _blinking_) notification for people replying to posts older than say 6 months or so?

[ Edited by Golem on 2007/4/25 8:07 ]
  • »25.04.07 - 07:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Dworkin
    Oupps!
    Thanks.
  • »26.04.07 - 07:32